Show us pictures of your japanese maples

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

It has been very slow here on the japanese maples forum this summer. Too busy watering our trees maybe. To jump start some activity here i plan to post a picture or two of a jm per day. I have about 40+ jm's here most are new purchases over the past three years.

Please feel free to share some pictures of your trees. I would especially be interested in seeing some of our original members more mature trees.

Here is a picture of Shirazz which is my favorite jm, with a new bloodgood in the background that was purchased to replace the old one which passed on due to a large crack in its bark which some of you may remember.

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and here in beni hime which i also like very much - and i thank snapple for me about this tree - i purchased one last november that did not survive over wintering - lesson learned and one that David(sans) preaches - replaced it this spring and will keep this stored in the garage for safe keeping this winter.

Thumbnail by wha
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Wha. It has been slow on this forum this summer and I was going through withdrawals. Your JMs look great!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

thx g-sox

post a pic

Galien, MI

hmm, that beni hime is calling me!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

here is abigail rose purchased from Davidsans taken this spring - nice dwarf

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

full moon maple new last year

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

beni shichihenge

Thumbnail by wha
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Here is my beni schichihenge decorated with some crepe myrtle blossoms.

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

And here is a crimson queen looking anything but crimson . . . this tree is in almost total shade so it only turns crimson late in the season which, around here, is December. On the plus side, it's one of the few JMs that I have that doesn't suffer from sun burn.

Thumbnail by GardenSox
Columbus, OH

Wha, what a beauty. What size container is used in post # 7020567 dated 9-3

thanks confussedlady

Cynthia (N. Kansas C, MO(Zone 5b)

GardenSox, I have three small (twig size) Crimson Queens I have not planted in the ground yet. Do they do better in partial shade? They have been on my deck in planters and even tho I've almost loved them to death, they are really burned looking. What do you suggest please? Cynthia

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Cynthia,

I think you'll find that almost all JMs will do better with at least some shade, especially if you can give them afternoon shade. Many JMs, however, need some sun in order to achieve the color or variegation that each cultivar might possess. My crimson queen, for instance, is protected from the sun by a large shade tree in my front yard and that keeps it from getting sun burnt but it also keeps it from turning red until after the leaves from the overhead tree have fallen in the autumn.

If yours are in planters you might also need to give them more water than you might think as the roots are generally going to be warmer in a pot than they would be in the ground.

Thanks GardenSox for the info. I have a new flower bed going in between two trees that gets morning sun and is pretty shaded in the afternoon. I'll try them there and hopefully they'll do well. I think I'd prefer no sunburn to the bright red if I had a choice! Appreciate the information. Cynthia

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

confusedlady - not sure exactly what size container that is we have several about the same size - maybe a foot across and a 16-18" deep.

cynthia i have two large crimson queens - one shown here is in full sun the other gets almost full sun - i think the issue is that yours are babies - this is the same CQ that i trimmed heavily last winter and you can not really tell i did anything to it now - maybe when the leaves fall the branch structure will be better

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

here is the crimson queen in the backyard - i also have babies growing out back that are in thier second year although they do receive a lot of shade later in the day and from the weeds aroung them

Thumbnail by wha
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Nice photos wha. What a lovely garden you have!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

thx doss - show us some of your trees!!

gardensox nice pictures - i have moved both of my crimson queens a few times around the yard until i found the right spot - your CQ looks big enough to get some more sun if you want to move it.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

beni kawa new this year

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

sango kaku in the front yard that i have had for several years.

Thumbnail by wha

Oh my gosh, Wha, your yard is amazing! I am so jealous - you must have great weather to grow there in Massachusetts. Mine are, seriously, no bigger than twigs ... do you think I should put them in the ground or leave them in their plants on the (raised) deck this winter? Everything else I have (flowers, etc.) are doing well, but these little trees are frustrating me, ahhhhhhhhh!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

cynthia put them in the ground and not on a raised bed.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

here is orange dream new this year from Topiary Gardens

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and Shigatasawa also new this year from rarefind - both of these are on a slope and under a sugar maple

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

based on the number of views there are many lurkers here - anyone care to share?

here is corallinium

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and mikawa yatsubusa

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and a very small geisha

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and here is a full shot that includes the last five jm's posted from left to right geisha in the pot, mikawa yatsubusa, shigitatasawa above, corallinium, and orange dream above.

Thumbnail by wha
Milford, DE

It appears that it is heavily wooded in the back. Do you ever have the deer come in to dine? I have a heard of 20-25 that dine hear every night. I am thankful that they only take off a few leaves but had to move all my Japanese Emperor Oaks inside. They completely ate off all the buds. Thank goodness that these plants have many hidden eyes beneath the rings otherwise they would have been goners.

Dave

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Wha - I love the long shot of all 5 of those trees. Do you go out and water the potted geisha or do you get enough rain in your area that you don't have to worry about that?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

hi dave - that is actually the front yard and the white pines are along the road - in back it is heavily wooded with a pond and a farm - we see deer in the field although never in the yard during spring through fall - even have a large veggy garden back there that they have not dined on - yet - in the winter they will come across and pick at some trees and bushes - they seem to like hydrangea the best, so far they have stayed away from the jm's although this year will be the test since i added so many new ones.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

hi gsox - i have seven jm's in containers - the geisha only gets watered once a week or so unless i have the sprinkler going there and then it is on its own - others in more sun i will watch closer - this year has been wet until about 6 weeks ago so it has been more an issue of protecting them from too much water

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

To the right of the previous post i have this bloodgood

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

in front of the bloodgood is

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and just to the left of the oridono niskiki is a ukigumo - both of these were a last year purchase and have grown noticeably in that time - and should look good with the bloodgood back drop in the future

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

here is some new growth on the oridono niskiki

Thumbnail by wha
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

and last for today the long shot of these three jm's

Thumbnail by wha
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

That's a very impressive bloodgood you have there! How long have you had that one?

I like the half-buried wine barrel in that last picture a lot.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

thx g-sox

we've had that one for close to 10 years - have not trimmed it at all - i still remember the cop directing traffic in front of the nursery thanking me for buying it because he had been looking at it all day and would have caught hell from his wife if he had showed up with it :)

we try and plant impatients in the barrel although i aways forget to water there - just put a magnolia in front of it so probelm solved

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

This is Koto no Ito. It got pseudomonas and I've cut out all of the bad stuff and am hoping for the best. The chemicals for treating it are too toxic for me to use them though.

Thumbnail by doss

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.