A new way to look at clems

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Wish I could say it was my Parisienne, but, no, it's from Evison's Chelsea display.

Delaware, OH

i would have loved to go to that show. the way they fertilize and adapt a plant to full bloom for a show like that is amazing.
parisenne is a pretty clem.
wickerparker, do yo have many vigorous, floriferous evison clems that gave good performance in year two or three? xcept galore of course.
my jospehine is a glory, but it is 8 yrs old. alabast is a colletors clem, not one for most folks. and needs hard winter for best show and long life span.
evison is the uber marketer of the clem world and gets a lot of old an dslightly new varieties registered, but some of the older varieties were better, most of them suited to our climate too. i am going over my whole list of clems later this week as time permits, as there must be evisons i am not thinking of that are stellar performers. will be good to share pics as we identify them. a friend of mine who is an annual grower in ohio (hanging baskets) met mr.evison a couple of years ago and saw his operation in the UK and was very impressed.

if we could post multiple photos on one post here on daves i would post all my evison clems at their best, but too laborious to do individually.
if anyone wants zone 5 performance info on any of these clems that are avialable in the US i would be happy to share detailed history of them, most of them in the ground for several to 7/8 yrs.

the hanging basket clems are one season according to mary toomey who mentioned them in her encyclopedia with photos, published almost 10 years ago. so you can plant them in the basket in the spring, but move them to the ground or a warmer container (or take them in a greenhouse if you garden that way) in the fall.
baskets have to be kept very wet to keep from drying out and clems like the opposite, they like to stretch that root to find water and drink deeply , not be superficially hydrated frequently as most of your basket plants.

i did a julia correvon in a basket a few years ago and it was a marginal success for the one season.

Baton Rouge, LA

If your source was published almost 10 years ago, then it wouldn't be current information for the newer cultivars. Do you have a more recent source that would speak to the clems of today?

Delaware, OH

nope, not aware of anyone growing clems for one season in baskets.
the ability of a clem to adapt to this display method for one season is not new, check Mary's Encyclopedia for that information.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

skellogg here's my list.
Hagley Hybrid-1990- house gate
Francis Rivas - clematis fence, -2004
Helsingborg – Clematis fence – 2004
Purpura Plena Elegans - back yard fence – 2007
Prince Charles- veggie gdn lattce - 2008
Markhams Pink – Clem. Fence - ?2006
X durandii Obelisk, north front - ?2006
Willy Clematis fence – 2007
Pink Fantasy South House wall lattice – 2004
Ernest Markham – south house well lattice – 2004
Joe Zary – back yard lattice – 2006
Lemon Bells – back yard lattice – 2006
Polish Spirit – Back yard fence – 2005
Rouge Cardinal – veggie gdn lattice – 2004
Huldine – south pergola - 2008
Rooguchi obelisk,north front - ?2007
Inspiration- obelish, south front – 2008
Betty Corning – veggie gdn lattice – 2008
Rubromarginata – south pergola, 2008
Brocade, obelish, south side shade bed, 2009
Romantika – south pergola( with Huldine) 2009
Brunette – clem fence behind compost – 2009
Jacqueline du Pre – by garden shed – 2009
Zephyr – north back yard fence – 2009
Negritianka – north back yard fence – 2009
Niobe – veg gdn lattice – 2009
Meinie Belle – south pergola – 2009
Stolwijk Gold – raspberry bed - 2009

Remember that my zone 3A may be quite different from yours as we are close to the mountains and get chinooks in the winter so frequently dont have good snow cover. I never ( until this year) planted B group clems since the old wood is not reliably hardy here but this year put in Niobe as some friends said they have it and just treat it like a C group.
Hagley Hybrid has done very well it is my oldest. The A groups on my clematis fence also do very well,in fact I am considering cutting them way back next year they are so thick.
Rouge Cardinal is my favorite, also Polish Spirit is doing very nicely as is Rubramarginata and Joe Zary. Pink Fantasy and Ernest Markham do well growing on the south side of the house. In this area the C groups tend to need the warmth of a building behind them.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

fancyvan, that is a great list. Something about northern gardening that I find very exciting. Well, sort of like northern living, I guess. You and your plants have to be adaptable, which I admire, and your season must be short, but I bet it's an absolute explosion of beauty.

Delaware, OH

i agree wickerparker, the hard dormant period creates so much energy burst. remember dawnll's hail storm in june that took out her clems?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Very nice list, fancyvan! It must be wonderful in bloom. Please post photos.

Baton Rouge, LA

New info on 'Ohh La La'... I just found out it is being offered in the U.S. under the name 'Cherokee' because Monrovia already held the trademark on the name 'Ohh La La' for the U.S. So, if you're interested in that one, look for 'Cherokee' with your favorite vendor instead! =)

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I'v been reading all your posts every ones for days now I'm new to Clematis as of this year I bought 6 from Koi Gardens this spring all are doing very well (I think) lots of new growth sooo as with all I do I jump in feet first so there is so much I had no idea that I should have learned about like cutting them back or when how much or when fert. so all the info is slightly confusing ;0( but I will grow these Like the roses ZuZu inspierd me to grow thank you ZuZu I now have 28 of them ;0)
Gloria

Thanks. I used Google and found it instantly at White Flower Farm and I just happen to have a gift certificate waiting to be used. Great timing!

Have fun learning about clematis, Gloria. Zuzu is so amazing with all of her roses, clems and kitties, isn't she?

This message was edited Aug 23, 2010 12:04 PM

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

yes she is and so good about us newbies and our endless ???s If all goes well I'll have a nice collection of clems in the spring i wish they bloomed all year around ;0) and thank you Pirl for answering alot of my rose ??/s also
Gloria

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Gloria, how wonderful to see you here! Don't have Clematis anxiety. Just ask every question that pops into your mind and someone will answer it. They really are quite easy to grow, at least in my zone. I've always had a few in my gardens for more than 40 years, but I've only taken them seriously for the last 25 or so. Before that, I regarded them as "space fillers" because they were always such a staple commodity in everyone's garden here, sort of like Pelargoniums, Hydrangeas, and the other things we plant here just to fill spaces. Lately, though, they've been getting prettier and fancier, so I've amassed quite a few. They look great with roses and I always plant one or two in the same hole with new climbing roses when I plant them.

Zuzu - We met another Southold gardener about a month ago and he had glorious gardens including 1,200 roses and 500 clematis, countless lilies and so much more. I thought you were the only one with 1,200 roses until I met him.

Thumbnail by pirl
Baton Rouge, LA

Pirl, White Flower Farm has quite a few of the new cultivars. That's really interesting, because they aren't listed on the Evison webpage of U.S. stockists at all... I wonder were they are getting the starts.

Baton Rouge, LA

Pirl, could you imagine trying to prune all of those by yourself?! I don't know how Zuzu can keep up with it all, but every photo I see is lovelier than the last!

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Pirl, he's way ahead of me in the Clematis department. I only have 250-300 at the most, but I'm ahead of him in the roses. I now have more than 1,300 named cultivars on my list at HMF, but I have another 200 or 300 that are duplicates or ones I haven't been able to identify. I only wish I had countless lilies, but the gophers are so fond of them that every bulb I plant has to be caged. Finding spaces big enough to accommodate cages is a lot harder than finding spaces for bulbs.

Evey, I think WFF buys many of their plants from other growers. I used to know some of their California suppliers.

Every time I proofread one of these posts, I see that someone else has contributed something highly flattering about me. Thank you so much, my pals.

Zuzu - you deserve every compliment you get.

The house (and gardens) is the man's summer home. I can't imagine how it looks when he arrives in May. It has to be somewhere between a jungle and breath taking.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

thank you ZuZu I will I dought I will ever have that many roses or Clems but I sure would like to try ;0)
Gloria

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

And I'll be so glad to encourage you, Gloria. You need them all.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

WELL YES I KNOW I DO ;0) but I have to be able to pay for them too now if the little mister would win the lotto all bets would be off ;0) what is a good book on clems to get ?? one that would show me how to prune and every thing I need to know so they will be happy here any ideas ??
Gloria

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

Gloria, I actually don't have any of the comprehensive how-to books, but I'm sure someone else does and will be able to advise you. Just hang tight.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Gloria, at the top of this thread there are a few mentions of books. I have Barry Fretwell's "Comprehensive Guide to Clematis" which is a really good basic guide to Clems, but not great, and most likely outdated at this point. I'm sure there are better books out there. I've been growing clems for 10 years, but only seriously for about 3 or 4. One of the things that I find perplexing is that people give the impression that they are hard to grow. They are not, they're easier than roses.(another plant that has been maligned) Some varieties will swallow your house without a bit of compost, fertilizer, pruning, you get the idea. In any case, welcome to the clematis addiction! :)

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Venu, thanks for the input on how easy that clems can be. I especially like the comparison with roses. I have several clems on order, and want them to do well, of course. For whatever reason, I can grow roses with no problems. I feel so much better about the clems now! I hate losing plants, and of course worry about killing something! I would just feel awful if I killed them all!

Baton Rouge, LA

I found some of the DK books surprisingly informative and helpful. Our library has a few of them, and I perused them when I was first getting the clem spark. There was one, I think it's called "Clematis and Climbers" or something like that, and it had wonderful step-by-step details about planting, lots of photos and directions on to make low-cost creative supports (like the upside down tomota cages and the grapevine supports and many of the other things we have seen here as well), and a wealth of other ideas. Another one that was very helpful for getting started was DK's American Horticultural Society Practical Guide: Clematis. It spells out just how easy and rewarding clems are. I think one of the biggest roadblocks to people getting started in clems is when they see a big, wordy book droning on and on about the minute details instead of encouraging gardeners to just jump right in and get dirty! With all the diagrams in some of these books, clem gardening can be accessible, successful and rewarding to even the most inexperienced gardener. What could be easier than a plant that lets you whack it back to the ground and start over if you mess up?!?!

Bliss, what is DK?

Baton Rouge, LA

Ohhh, sorry! I was in teacher mode. DK = Dorling Kindersley. They are a British publishing company, primarily of educational books. They have a trademark style that is wonderful... typically stark white page with BIG, beautifully detailed color photographs for anything and everything they describe in their books. They also produce educational videos.

http://www.dk.com/

Baton Rouge, LA

The AHS Practical Guides are no longer in print, which is very sad since they were fantastic! Many libraries did purchase that whole series though, as it was on the national recommended list for public libraries, so you might be able to check the Clem one out at your local library.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Thanks for the info Evey, I'm going to go the library and check it out tomorrow. Don't know if our little town will have anything, but definately worth a try anyway.

Baton Rouge, LA

Here's a link to the one I found particularly helpful, especially for beginners, on Amazon. They have a used one for just 90 cents!

http://www.amazon.com/American-Horticultural-Society-Practical-Guides/dp/0789441535/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251174767&sr=8-12

Oh Evey, you are or were a teacher? My Mom was a teacher. I hold teachers in very high regard. I can still see my mom at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee, a cigarette and a stack of papers to be graded that went to the ceiling. I felt truly honored when she let me help her grade the papers. I didn't feel so honored when I got a poke in the back of the head because my spelling was incorrect ;)

That was a bit OT, but what a great memory!

Baton Rouge, LA

LOL, a very good memory!

Yes, I was a teacher... early elementary. I stopped teaching when I took on caregiver duties for what ended up being a total of four of our elderly relatives. Caregiver duties are over the moment, so I'm living large in the plant world!

EDIT: I worked in the corporate world first. But, I preferred the word "Mommy" to "Boss" and then got my teaching certification! I've worn many hats over the years... it keeps life interesting! =)

This message was edited Aug 24, 2009 11:46 PM

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

What did your mother teach, Louise?

I was a teacher too. Same cup of coffee, same cigarette, but I luckily had a postgrad student assistant helping me correct my papers.

Delaware, OH

many of these clem books are available thru used book resources. newer ones and out of print ones. great value there.

Baton Rouge, LA

Yes, I think we all know the Amazon bargains quite well, right ladies?

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

The library discards at Amazon are an incredible deal. I've always liked Joyce Carol Oates and always paid full price for each of her new books as they came out. Not long ago, I realized I was missing about a dozen I had lent out to unconscientious friends. I was fully prepared to pay Amazon's price for new books for the replacements until I discovered I could buy the library discards of those books for one cent each!

I've bought many books on the used books sites. Alibris is my favorite one. They are quite a bargain but I've never bought one for a penny! Leave it to Zuzu to find the great deal.

Here's the Alibris page on clematis: http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?binding=&mtype=&keyword=clematis&hs.x=10&hs.y=12

Delaware, OH

Amazon is great but there are others

try Golden Gate, I got several clem

books there.
Sorry if redundant info.....

Half.com is another good source for used or discounted books. I noticed alibris listed there as a vendor. I also saw one of Raymond's books there. I'm going back to buy it @ 419 pennies :)

Zuzu, my mom taught fourth grade. Her assistant was in fifth grade ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.