The Lasagna Garden Brigade

Thanks Cue. Do you need seeds from the giant red/black colored castor bean? Mine is making seed pods. I have a pink one too. I can save you the seed pods if you want some.

Here is a big leaf.
This picture was a couple weeks ago with the sun glaring down so it doesn't look as black in the picture as it does when you are out there.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2009 6:02 PM

Thumbnail by mekos
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks mekos, I already have one and I hear they are prolific seeders...LOL. I think one is enough for now, but thank you!

Sure thing.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

hey gals I posted a few pics on the chat thread, take a look and see what you think of our project.

I tell you right now, I'M LOVING IT!!!

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks mekos.

I'm also jealous, flower.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

LOL Don't be jealous LOL Just get even and build you one.

Yes, I'll do just that?!? *&%#$@&%(^$%#@ In between my running the 30 mile race and naps.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Where is the "chat thread"? I want to see the pictures too and can't find it. Trying to explain it to DH but he's such a visual person.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Oh mekos You just gave me the best laugh for the night. LOL

Hi Elizabethtown

Here's the link: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1032598/

Thanks Seray, I didn't know how to do that.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

wow that was a cool bed -- but now I have to go read the entire thread!!! flower, your photos gave me bunches of ideas to adapt... now to convince DH.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Just sweet talk him LOL E

Hi Mekos

It took me awhile to cut and paste right after I got my first computer. Once you get it it's a real time saver. I have a Mac computer so I can keep 3 -4 screens on my desk top. That way I can jump back and forth. I think you can do it too. Makes it handy for links and research. And confusion as to who's talking to who ? LOL

Are you KIDDING? I can barely do one!

You get used to it.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

LOL Hey mekos your not by yourself. I have tried that and get so confused I finally give up.

Hey guys

Here's my second one half done. Of course I haven't finished the first yet. This is for some irises a generous person sent me. LOL Emergency lasagna bed. Three more layers and I'll be ready to plant.

Hi Julesgrow this is the place.

This message was edited Sep 2, 2009 12:30 PM

Thumbnail by
Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

That is beautiful Seray I just put a layer of soil on that has been saving my years worth of compost...couple more layers!!

Alright!!! Looks like we may catch up with Cue yet! :) I'm off to Ace. It's the place you know.... LOL

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

So are you guys or has anyone finished their beds with Topsoil? I think I have some that are done & ready, just wondered if I have to put top soil. I am off to the post office.. See you back in a bit

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

I started my first bed today...Here's to hoping its halfway right...

I layed down cardboard soaked it well..

Then put a thin layer of things I had collected in a bucket tea bags, lettuce leaves, coffee grounds, dryer lint.. etc...

Then I found DH's pile of grass clippings where he empties the yard sweeper... layered that over existing things from above..

Then i found a big pile of leaves he had swept up in early spring had some pine straw mixed in so I layered that one top... soaked it lightly

Then I hauled dirt out of the garden made a light layer of that..

Added a layer of newspaper..

covered that with more grass clippings then more leaves... wow that dirt was already rich under the leaves added all that as a layer... covered with 2 bags of manure...

then had one bag of miracle grow potting soil I topped it off with... I think I need 2 more bags of pottig soil and she should about be ready to plant....

Here is a pic of it... looks really thick... DH said he hoped no oe was missing in the neighborhood cause they would be down here digging to see who i buried....

Ha since it was my first one and I was unsure how to do it I just made a small oblong bed...

What should i do next? Another layer of soil for sure?

Sorry I didnt have my camera outside so took pic with my phone..I will get out there later and make another picture.....

Thumbnail by huneybunch_2000

Hi Huneybunch

Sounds like you could plant to me. I don't think you need the top soil. It looks great. You will be adding stuff to it anyway.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

if you are planning to plant immediately , then yes, you need at least a two inch layer of topsoil or compost. i mixed topsoil and compost and put on 3-4 inch layer and planted seeds...

Finally finished my first bed!!! That was work. Here's my layers:
paper, Black Kow, green leaves etc., top soil, grass, coffee grounds, coir and worm castings mixed.

Planting tomorrow. (If I can get out of bed. LOL)

Thumbnail by

Congratulations Seray. Great job!!! That looks nice. Wish I had mine finished. Got more to go. What you gonna plant there? Have you decided?

Thanks Mekos!

Mit was kind enough to send me some of his irises. They'll look nice there don't ya think?

This message was edited Sep 3, 2009 8:15 PM

Oh yes. He sure had some nice ones.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

seray - that looks great! You should be proud! The Irises will look stunning there . . .

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

irises will look beautiful there Seray!!! Congrats on getting the bed finished WOOT!

Thanks Cue :) Are we all going to do a show and tell with this thread when we get finished?

You've got veggies. Mechelle has a lasagna farm!!!! What ya say about the end of Sept. everybody show their stuff. I've got one more to go. Huneybunch has been showing hers. Who else. Robin's working on one. Hollyhock is too I think. Lollyjean and Dogs_N_Petunias. Skellogg (she's got baby beds going. LOL) Keeper of the Lasagna Mascot. Can't remember everyone. :)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Mine will be started as soon as it cools down so I can actually work outside in the daytime . . .

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Still building mine, too. Just keep adding layers and stuff! I'll probably keep building on mine all winter, assuming the snow doesn't bury it too deep!

Florence, KY(Zone 6a)

I got mine started but the poison ivy itch is driving me so crazy I've not been back out to do anything more in a couple of days. :(

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

LollyJean
Home made soap will dry it up..I know I'v been there..

Tubby

Cleburne, TX(Zone 8a)

LollyJean,
Can't help you now that you've already broken out with poison ivy, but for future reference, I'll tell you what has worked to prevent us from getting the rash. Read it in a newspaper. Just as soon as you can after you've been working outside, wash all exposed areas of skin with rubbing alcohol and then shower with lots of soap. I do the alcohol wash after the shower too. Neither my DH nor I have had any poison ivy rash since we started this procedure. If what we're doing outside takes more than a couple hours, we come in and do the alcohol and shower routine about every 2 hours or more often if we've been in an area that we know for sure has poison ivy. I keep several bottles of rubbing alcohol, the higher percentage one.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

I have tons of poison ivy around here, too.. Lasagna farm, Seray, lol.. It's true.. I just make sure if I am working near poison ivy, that 1, I wear gloves. Always have my gloves on. 2, wear long pants with long socks and mid calf boots, and 3, always use a rake and never pick up piles with my hands/arms. I use a hay fork for doing that. Most of the leaves I have collected have been under trees which we all know is where it grows. I guess I have been lucky, KNOCK ON WOOD, lol. My biggest outdoor challenge here is chiggers and ticks. Hate them! I never go out near the woods without insect repellent anywhere my skin is exposed and I even spray my feet and legs, clothes, boots and all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.