The Lasagna Garden Brigade

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Very nice Mechelle. Have a tip for you on those stumps that need removing. Don't dig them out, instead cut as close to the ground as you can get then cover the whole stump with your layers and it will rot over the years. My mom did one like that only she just dumped bagged manure from WM and I think it was potting soil mixed together and it rotted within a year or two then she planted a rose of sharon there that thrived in all that good dirt.
I just finished the clearing up of weeds under the logs around my bed was getting ready to start layering but got rained out so that will be a between rain showers job since we are due to get rain for the next few days. Saves me watering everything this way.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

That's a good idea Mindy, thanks it's huge! We were quoted like $200 to have it grinded... and there's a bunch of other stumps like this out here, too.

Thumbnail by MechelleT
Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

THanks Mindy,

I have a couple that are cut off low from those knock over by the winds last year. Never thought to just compost them where they stood but, makes perfect sense when you think about it. Wait till I call my DH and tell him I need more poop!

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

Did you all know that you can throw goat and rabbit poo straight into the bed? No waiting or composting needed. It doesn't have the eliment that burns. Was news to me. Just thought I'd pass it on. Cultrually goat is eaten quite a bit here so...allot more goats than most places but, thought in case that might be the case for someone else or if you raise goats or rabbits it might be nice to know...learn something new everyday.

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got goat poo all around, BUNCHES of it. Woo hoo! Lasagna beds here I come!

Florence, KY(Zone 6a)

That's good to know about the stumps. We've got dozens of them from the overgrown bushes we took out last weekend. My DH will be thrilled!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Forgot about the rabbit poo. Yup - can use it straight from the rabbit's, well, you know . . . My friend and I get it on freecycle all the time - lol.

WANTED: RABBIT POO

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Here's a good link I forgot to mention earlier - 163 things you can compost. Maybe cue can add it to the top post as well?

http://www.plantea.com/compost-materials.htm

It has some things in there I wouldn't use due to critters being attracted (like fish bones), but has some things you wouldn't normally think of. Click on the manure links - good info on manure comparisons . . .

This message was edited Aug 27, 2009 9:38 AM

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

Kelly,

Honey link doesn't work...

Arroyo City, TX(Zone 9b)

Never mind...blathering idiot here! It was up in a different window...lordy...can anyone say naptime!!!!

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Locakelly, thanks for the link! It does mention rhubarb stalks, but doesn't say leaves. Makes me think that they probably are not a good idea. As for the urine, I'm just guessing, but I'm thinking my neighbor's would have me locked up in a pretty white coat. LOL! Pretty sure they wonder about me already! That should just about cinch it for them!

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Here's some infor on willow tea making

http://www.ehow.com/how_4905464_willow-tea-natural-rooting-hormone.html

It's my understanding any kind of willow, weeping willow, pussy willow, whatever. All willows are supposed to have excellent rooting ability which is what makes them good for rooting other stuff.

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

The only stumps I'm not sure you can do this way is cedar ones. Probably can if still green but once cedar dries out I swear it becomes immune to rotting. I just dug up several pieces in my flowers beds this summer that have been there for years.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Question for folks who have done their beds already--is it ugly to start with? Just wondering as I'm a renter and don't want to get called out by the landlord for starting what may appear to them as a pile of "garbage":lol:

Finally my rabbit is gonna contribute other than being darn cute:lol:

My dad always drilled holes into the stumps or chisled out gouges in the top to allow water to get down into the stump and help it to break down. I think a tree guy told him to embed copper in the wood too but I don't know if that actually does anything.

New Milford, CT

Yep, they can be kinda ugly! You could always finish with a thin layer of potting soil to keep it looking like an actual flower bed and keep the landlord happy.

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Try telling the landlord what you want to do and how it's done and see what they say.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

someone asked if manure was a green or a brown..

it is in fact a 'GREEN'.. so add it accordingly.

ideally, your bed should be made of equal parts brown and green - this translates into a 30/1 nutrient ratio which is ideal for soil :)

Thanks everyone. Lots of info here.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Wow, cue, you just made my day! I figured that manure was a brown instead, and I keep trying to figure where to get green to equal the brown. Now if manure is green, all I have to do is come up with brown but I have access to lots of old straw and dried leaves and such, which I am assuming would be considered brown layers, correct? Shoot, I can put 6 inches of straw down if it's a brown. Has anyone had any experience with fresh water pond and creek type sea weed? The kinda slimy green stuff that grows from the bottom up? How will it work? Cue, you are going to get sick of all of our questions! LOL!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Pretty much any kind of plant that was once alive can be composted - it is organic matter. You just have to watch out for things that have fungus or disease or things that are considered allelopathic. They contain biochemicals that inhibit germination and growth, things like black walnut and oleander and eucalyptus come to mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allelopathy

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

oooh ooooh ooooh, my neighbor was out mowing his field tonight.. grass clippings tomorrow.. he he he

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Hopefully Saturday I can go get another load of manure and a load of straw and a load of compost. Probably will need about 3 loads of compost, but I'm happy starting with one. LOL! I'm going to try to mow in the morning, but would not be surprised if those plans change.

Skellogg, you sound like me. My plans change all the time.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Yep, plans changed! Didn't get any mowing done, and probably won't haul manure for a few days. My DD called me at 3 a.m. and was headed to the hospital to deliver! WOOHOO! Just got back from there and we have a new grandson! They have twin boys that are 16 months old, and I'm guessing this Gram will be busy babysitting babies and my DD for a few days as I think that they will be going home tomorrow! So much better than mowing the lawn! LOL! So, if I don't post for a few days you'll know where I am.

Hi skellogg

Cue and I have captured people for the Brug sprout contest. Check it out. We're trying to have some fun and you might be able to participate as we go through the next few weeks. LOL

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1030128/

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Congratulations Gram!

Oh Gosh

I saw your name and just started typing SK. Congratulations are most definitely in order. Come back with pictures!!

Monticello, KY(Zone 6b)

Congratulations Gramma

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! WONDERFUL. Show us pictures. Hope mommy and baby are doing great . Really happy for you. Talk to ya later.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Thanks e1! We didn't find him in a lasagna garden, but he's pretty special and we'll keep him anyway! It's amazing to me how sharp I can be at 3:30 in the morning, with an hour and half drive ahead of me, but I remembered the camera! Here he is! And sorry to post off topic, but you know!

Thumbnail by skellogg
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

How cute!!

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

S'pose he's a little young to learn about gardening, but he will! Maybe by then I'll even know something about it. LOL!

How Cute!!!!! He'll be our first Lasagna bed baby! Thanks for showing us!!!

Florence, KY(Zone 6a)

Congratulations skellogg. How precious.

Yea, good looking baby boy. He will have to be our mascot of the lasagna garden. So beautiful! Take care of him. Blessings to you all.

Florence, KY(Zone 6a)

A question about using horse manure in the lasagna beds. I know that you can't use 'fresh' poo on your flowers but do you need to let it dry out before putting a layer of it in the bed?

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Hi LJ, I would just spread it out and let it dry in place, but not plant in it until good and dry. I probably have some in my new bed that wasn't quite dry enough, but it has dried alot over the last 2 weeks just with me spreading it out and letting it sit in the sun and heat. I'm not planning on planting mine until next spring, tho, so I will keep adding layers until the snow gets too deep.

Washington, IN(Zone 6a)

Congraulations Grandma. Sweetie little one.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Thanks!

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Congrats skellogg, what a sweetie.. I look forward to when I have grandkids but not for a while I hope, lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.