Kyla's Garden Pictures, part two

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Starting with red flax. Following with pictures of the ant mound, a central feature of the rock garden. ;-)

Came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1012145/ -- and hoping Roybird and Mulch, Holesailors, will join us.

woops, Holesalers?

This message was edited Aug 21, 2009 10:54 AM

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Okay. Here is the Ant Mound

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

That lovely gray green groundcover embracing the Ant Mound is not, as it might appear, woolly thyme, but spurge. I do have the intention of seeing if I can get them to accept woolly thyme as a replacement. They are quite fierce and territorial about what plants they will allow close by. Those little sticks you see sticking up are the remnants of some foxtail barley they destroyed. They also nearly destroyed my chocolate plant when I put it in the part of the border they wanted for their own. There on the left in this photo you can see a small coreopsis which they leave strictly alone for some reason. Beyond it I had located the chocolate plant. They nearly killed it before I clued in and brought it up in a pot and let it recover before relocating it.

Directly in front of that coreopsis I had a chinese mint. They also nearly destroyed that til I relocated it. So that area now has a bit of purslane I think but nothing else.........

This message was edited Aug 21, 2009 11:00 AM

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Self portrait with Ant Mound, hahaha

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Some lavender flowers, from an ant's point of view, perhaps

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I can just see your ants saying, eeewww .... who put that coreopsis there? It's nasty. Maybe we should move to a better neighborhood.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Ants are funny that way. I've noticed them showing preferences for certain plants too. They have abondoned the parts of my vegetable patch where I've planted Marigolds and currently have a path going around the area to another plant of interest in my back yard.

Given that most holes for sale on the market are obtained from the sea of holes, most hole wholesalers are also Holesailors.

Santa Fe, NM

Mulch and I are Whole Sailors. Better than Half Sailors. If you're gonna be a bear... But, anyway, Kyla , thanks for the new thread. Your ant hill is very nice looking, as anthills go. Ants always like peonies. Why is that? I'm not fond of ants, to be honest. Too militaristic.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Roybird, I thought we were holistic marketers. Maybe we are that and all of the above as well?

I have always been fascinated with ants although I dislike them in the hoophouse or raising aphids on my young trees. As a kid I spent hours watching them.

Santa Fe, NM

Holistic practitioners! Yes, indeed. And if anybody wants to buy some holes, we have them with boxes and instructions. Ants. I spent hours as a kid being bitten by them. My mother said I about drove her nuts because I would just stand still and scream if an ant bit me. I often stood on anthills. I have always liked anteaters.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Those of us who grew up in southern climes tend not to be ant lovers. They bite like crazy in the south. Up north the ants are more civilized.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Kyla, you are far more patient than me with your ants. Whilst I can live with *some* ants... the multitudes that wish to take over my shade garden will be dealt with, again. Sigh.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Well now I want not a whole hole but a hole that I can hoe solely with a low hoe. I am concerned that a mole will control what I can plant in the hole. In Idaho I need to know what type of hole, so, I can get the propper furrow to control the flow of water to the hole. You must know that I show only photos of areas I sow so that you all know what to grow in Idaho.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Ho ho ho So, if you were an ant you would know.

Brenda, I am only patient with them because, a, they were there first, and, b, they had such a huge facility going that the thought of evicting them was too daunting, so I decided instead to feature them as a design element.

I am so glad the Holistic Sailors of Holistic Holesaling sailed into port here.

They are a bit nicer than ants. Quite a bit.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Quote: Given that most holes for sale on the market are obtained from the sea of holes.... I always thought holes came from the moley of holes, otherwise known as the holey moley.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

The holey moley is a sacred part of the sea of holes. The best holes can be obtained there, but many feel it is wrong to take those holes and that those who do bring bad juju on themselves.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

...and this is what happens when too much bad juju is accumulated. The holes, well, retaliate.

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Santa Fe, NM

In the face of all that, I feel like an ant!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Snorkle!
Well, she is gone now, headed swiftly north like an arrow, and it's actually me, the one true picante, posting again. I'll leave it to you to wonder which of my posts have actually been Marlene Dietrich, disguised as the adventurous adventuress, Dahlianut.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh my! I am truly confused now... LOL!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You had Marlene Dietrich with you there in Montana! Naw, it has to be her look alike -- dahlianut.

Santa Fe, NM

How fun!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes, that Marlene, always showing up in the most appropriately unexpected places.

I know you two had a blast.

I came in here to share just a tiny bit of a harvest picture. I am amazed at having actually grown onions. Here is one, about to go into the stew pot!

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Ooh la la! Quel bel oignon!

Oh yes, we had a visitation! A feast! As some of you already know, our Dahlianut is actually Marlene Dietrich in disguise, trying to live a quiet life away from annoying reporters. But ... the sultry voice and sculpted cheekbones are a dead giveaway. Anyway, Helena was a good place to hide out.

Now, about the topic at hand. DH and I are excavating along one side of the house, and need a place to put the dirt. (I wouldn't call it soil.) We're going to need a few holes, Roybird & Mulch. Something mid-sized; I can't handle anything real massive. Probably three would do it. What would that cost?

Santa Fe, NM

Mulch is our business manager and would know more about pricing details. We can get around to that later. Firstly, I must congratulate you for choosing the premier Holistic Service Company with the green W.O.D. ( Women of the Dirt) seal of approval! Good Job, Picante! Mid-sized is our best seller and we may not have them in stock but we can special order them for you. We can also special order custom sizes if we receive your specifications before noon last Tuesday. We will need a small deposit to assure that your order is processed quickly and your holes will arrive when and where you have requested. Please feel free to D-mail me, personally, if you need further assistance.
Professionally Yours,
Roybird

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Hmmm. Beware, picante! Sounds like an operation aimed at creating the largest hole in your pocket that they can.

Santa Fe, NM

Dave, we can ship holes virtually anywhere, any place, any time! A pocket would require a larger deposit as it would be a very small size. Please contact our billing department for information concerning deep pockets.
Happy to take your order Now,
Holistic Services Co-ordinator of Special Events
Roybird

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Omigosh, Roybird, I could not ask for a better Holistic partner!

I do have a few select mid-size holes in stock, but they are wet from it raining all afternoon yesterday. We even had puddles! So I have to dry out the holes before they can be shipped as the shipping costs go up astronomically if I don't.

Dparsons, I consider a large hole in the pocket to be a bonus hole for the buyer. We only want to help any way we can.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

ROFL&S!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

:)

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Dave-who-is-Dave, I think I need your physics expertise. Now honestly, do you really think a wet hole would weigh more than a dry hole?

Nope, roybird, I don't need a hole in my pocket, as very little dirt would fit in there at a time, and I don't like the feeling of it sifting down my leg. I'm surprised you even sell pocket holes, as useless as they are!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Well, picante, if you get a hole wet you have added matter. Matter has mass and mass weighs something if there is a gravitational field. Thus a wet hole weighs more than a dry one.

If you want to test this, create two holes of equal size and get one wet. Climb into them in turn (dry first) and determine which is easier to get out of. I'm quite sure you will find the wet one more difficult which will demonstrate the effects of the greater mass.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

But don't buy a black one! Those will eat your whole garden!

Santa Fe, NM

As Mulch will tell you, we can supply our customers with a wide range of holes to suit any budget or purpose. Black Holes require a little more paper work and we are not liable for the results one might have in your garden. But, we are happy to sell you one, of course! I, personally, have a humongous black hole on order for my neighbor's yard. They make wonderful surprise gifts for special relatives, too!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Sigh. Matter is indeed the crux of the matter. I was thinking that the holes themselves have no matter, and thus wouldn't retain water, which requires some sort of vessel, and so a "wet hole" would be an oxymoron. But my theory seems to be full of holes.

Roybird, I'd much prefer matterless holes, if you have them. Your warehouse is in Ennis, apparently, which still had a gravitational field last time I was there.

Holy moley, I totally forgot -- I need to get you my specs by last Tuesday! This is getting so complicated, I may just ditch this dirt disposal idea in favor of some other.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

You might go for the black holes then picante. They've gone to the point where adding more matter has the opposite effect.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I'm not sure what you mean by "opposite effect", Dave-who-is. And I think even the tiniest of black holes would cause major warpage in any environment. Look at the medical industry, after all.

Whoo boy, did we ever warp this thread, Kyla! Shall we weave our way back to your pictures? There was a very shiny onion where we got diverted.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

You all crack me up!

Santa Fe, NM

We are the only people I know who could be diverted by an onion.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Isn't that great?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.