Becky's MGs and Other Plants Part 10

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Here is one of many Cardinals that visit my yard several times a day. (This is a female.) In the early evening at dusk, a bunch of them will fly in and out of my trees, bushes and even the vines! LOL! I guess they are playing chase or something ...

Thumbnail by beckygardener

Here is one of the vines showing a bloom and a ripe seed pod! Cycle of life, baby!!!

Here is a Skipper Butterfly on the I. indica vine. :-) Their host plants are Canna, which I have plenty in my yard! :-)

This is a long Red/Orange Porterweed bloom spike. These spikes sometimes are almost 2 feet long. A favorite of the butterflies, bees, and hummers! :-)

Melbourne, FL

So they are here! I am still waiting for mine to arrive. I'll be very dissapointed if they bypass my yard this year.

This looked really pretty so I snapped a photo. This is against the fence. There is Golden Dewdrop blooms cascading down, Purple Porterweed, Plumbago, Passiflora, Daylilies, and Irises, A lot of action in this area because of all the blooms! :-)

gardenpom - I am sure they are on their way right now! :-) You usually get a mating pair of Painted Buntings, right?

The Cape Honeysuckle Tree is starting to bloom. In another week or so, it will be covered in orange blooms. I will definitely take a photo when it does! It is gorgeous!

The hummer and butterflies go nuts over the bloom nectar! :-)

The Bluejays here have such character. He is just sitting there thinking how good life is! LOL!

Melbourne, FL

A couple of years ago I had several, including young males. Last year I only had a few.

In this photo, he is watching the doves and squirrels below him on the ground.

They are such obnoxious birds! When they come flying in to the feeder, they come squawking and making all kinds of racket to scare off all the other birds eating!

gardenpom - I am sure they will be back soon! They have given you some great photo opportunities! Your photos of those birds are worth framing! :-)

I can't remember what this plant is. It's related to the hibiscus bush.

Always a good thing to see ... more ripe seed pods! Yay!

Last photo on this thread from me today ...

This photo is of concern. This poor little squirrel has had the snot kicked outta him/her two days in a row now. Yikes!!

I started a thread over in the Wildlife forum to see if I can get some answers about this situation. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1044931/

My poor little morning greeter really needs the situation resolved. I am hoping and praying that it happens before he is attacked again and possibly killed. :-(

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Gorgeous color on your Abutilon Becky. Favorites of mine too, just haven't grown any lately. Time to start some seeds I guess.
I have Abutilon Sherbert sds somewhere. lol The yellow blooms
fade to off white with both colors on the shrub at one time.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Becky , your gardens are wonderful// I love the way you have everything together.. It is so nice to see your love of life thru gardening .
Birds and insects are just the part of Gardening that seems to be the added "bonus" if you will.. of what we get from Gardening.
Your abutilon is adorable.. and I am glad to see you growing the other shrubs and flowers.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

This message was edited Oct 5, 2009 10:07 AM

aww becky, send him my way i will adopt him.. poor thing.. what is picking on him anyway?

Debra - He didn't show up today. I fear the worst. Breaks my heart. He was my little buddy! I have never seen this among squirrels. I wonder if there was something wrong with him. Perhaps he was sick and it just wasn't apparent. I don't know. But I am really bummed out! I suspect another squirrel is doing the dirty deed and attacking him. :-(((((

Jackie - Thanks for the ID on my Abutilon! Your Sherbert one sounds pretty! Any photos?

AuntB gave me some of her seeds from her adorable abutilon plant.. I can't wait to get them started, but no seed planting until the "grow room" is ready, and .... it isn't... LOL

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Becky, no photo's that I recall taking. If I can get these to germinate, will send pics as soon as I get blooms.

Oh poor Becky and her wildlife. they are so speial to each of us especially those we come to know.

Sincere sympathy

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Becky, I have been thinking of you and just came in to see your MG's and I get to see your many other vines as a bonus. The passi (incarnata) seeds you gave me back in 2008 bloomed big time this year and I have tens upon tens of those seed pods that look like large size limes. The bees of all sizes, hummers, and skippers loved those flowers. The bees would get on a flower and circle around on top rubbing themselves under the anthers to get as much pollen on their bodies as possible. Both flowers and bees are slowing down with the cooler nights and it's probably not long before we get a frost to end it all until next year. I was hoping I'd get some passion flower juice for a cocktail, but when I open the fruits there are only seeds, no pulp. I should have enough seeds to take over the world. Best wishes to you dear friend. pam

Hi Pam! Glad to see you enjoying my photos and other plants! I am thrilled your Passiflora vines did so good this year! That's neat about the bees on the blooms. :-) Things are slowing down a bit here, too. Not so much cooler weather, but more about the change in the sun position and shorter days. Many Passiflora don't make much in the way of pulp. Some are very pulpy, but not any that I am growing! They do produce lots of seeds though! LOL! Enjoy!

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Becky, do you have a MG tree? I just got one and it does have buds on it, when it blooms I will take a pic.
the lady that had this one up against her house and almost to the roof. Is this normal? I don't even know if
it is hardy, but I got it. Be glad when it blooms.
Charleen

Charleen - Do you know if the MG Tree is Ipomoea arborescens? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/32167/

I would love a couple seeds if you get some eventually! :-)

I think I can do better than that. D-mail me.
Becky, it is getting ready to bloom. I Just keep
watching it. I beleive it is that plant. I do think I am growing
t brng it in and hope my DH doesn't think I have lost my
mind. He likes this hobby way better than the riding. Not so
likely to fall and hurt myself again.
Charleen

Becky, I just read it is illegal tohave this plant in Fla. and Az.
But here is a picture of it.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Oh my, hehehe, it sure figures!!........-just when ya really want something really bad - bam !!-it's illegal...don't go sneakin one in now! Just kiddin ^_^

didn't say antthing about NC. birdieblue,
but wish it would hurry up and bloom.

me too! I think I have one! I remember I got some mg tree seeds.. I thought it was another i. carnea.. will have to check my seed packet..

HUH?? did I say that you did?? I Don't think so! ^_^ Why do people seem to so often read things into what I say, that I Never even said or wrote??
prayers , blessings and the ability to actualy read what is truly written???

I've been readin this thread for a while now, copy/ paistin the questions in the hopes that I might win...seems like i won't now thouth., shucks, Ireally wanted one of areJays wonderfulBrugs... If anybodyout there happens to be trimin theirs back now and wants to send a cutting or a few forpostge, I will of course reibmurse any and all of postage. I do know how posage costs cangret toughf...I just so yearn for one of these sweete sceted olants an ,

Please dmail me ad I will d'm my addess
BirdieBllue/ Sheri ^_^

Good LLuck to all lf YOU ^_^

Charleen - Ipomoea arborescens is not listed on the prohibited list. There are three Ipomoea plants listed as prohibited in Florida:

Ipomoea triloba L. (littlebell morning glory) http://www.plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=IPTR2

Ipomoea carnea Jacq. ssp. fistulosa (Mart. ex Choisy) D. Austin
gloria de la manana (Ipomoea fistulosa Mart. ex Choisy)
http://www.plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=IPCAF

Ipomoea aquatica Forssk. (swamp morning-glory)
http://www.plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=IPAQ

The photo you posted does look like I. carnea. My question ... the prohibited plant listed as prohibited in FL is not listed as I. carnea, but instead as "Ipomoea carnea Jacq. ssp. fistulosa (Mart. ex Choisy)", so what is the difference between I. carnea and I. carnea Jaq. ssp. fistulosa?

I. carnea is a bush here in Florida and I have seen it used in landscaping. I have never seen one growing in the wild here. At least not in my area. I have contacted seed sellers and nurseries here that sell it and no one can tell me, but everyone seems to think that the I. carnea used in landscaping is not the one on the prohibited list. LOL! Go figure! So I have no idea. But ... Ipomoea arborescens is not prohibited and that is the one I would love to have seeds for! A Morning Glory tree sounds like a nice plant to add to my garden. :-)

And as far as AZ ... it seems most MGs are prohibited there. Which is really ridiculous, especially I. nils which I don't consider invasive here even in FL. If they are not invasive in FL, then I know they wouldn't be invasive in AZ! FL has the perfect climate for I. nils. Far better than AZ!!! :-)

Birdieblue - Huh???? Did you post to the wrong forum and thread? This is the MG Forum, not the Brug forum.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Birdieblue - dmail me. I wont' be cutting my brug probably for another month, but I will be glad to give you some for postage.

Leave it to me to get things, crossed up. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, I was joking. i thought you were, BirdieBlue.
If you want a piece of that plant i will send it to you,beckygardener, if you want.
Still not bloomed yet. It does have a shoot coming up on the side, that is what I was talking about.
You can d-mail me, if you want.
Charleen

Charleen - Seeds do much better for me than plants. Probably because of the heat. Please post a photo when your tree blooms. I am curious as to what you have there. Hard to tell yet. :-) If you get blooms, you will probably get seeds eventually, too! :-)

I sure will. I have been watching it.
If it gets cold I will bring it in.
Charleen

Some blooms other than MGs. I forget what this plant is, but the blooms are rather pretty!

Lady Lavender Passiflora still blooming like crazy and growing up and over my arbor. Love this vine! My second favorite plant is Passiflora. No surprise, huh? Since I have the whole east side of my back yard fence covered in Passiflora vines! LOL!

You can never have enough vines ...

I have never had whitefly pests in my yard. I have heard about this pest, but had no idea what a whitefly infestation was.

I got this hibiscus from Emma. It is infested with whitefly. Don't know if it will make it, but it is blooming right now and has quite a few buds on it. Any ideas of what to treat this plant with to kill the whitefly? Pretty double pink blooms!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.