Becky's MGs and Other Plants Part 10

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

This thread is a continuation of: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1014233/

First photo is of my arbor and picket fence with numerous vines growing all over it. I can't even tell you off hand what they all are. But all the vines are grown from seeds this year and I am loving it!

Is there such a thing as a vine fetish? If so, I have it bad! LOL!

Thumbnail by beckygardener

This is my FAVORITE night bloomer ... the infamous Moonflower! I had a bunch of them blooming on the arbor tonight. I love the scent of these large and gorgeous blooms! There is nothing prettier at night than these!

Oh heck! Might as well post another favorite white bloom of mine. Passiflora incarnata "Alba" grown from seed this year. I still can't get over the fact that it bloomed the first year for me!

LOVE THIS VINE!!!

Here's a purple bloomer called Lady Lavender . :-)

And this is why I adore these blooms so much. They are amazing! They have a very interesting history, too. Also known as the Christ flower. Beautiful as a close-up!

I keep trying to hand-pollinate these Passiflora blooms to no avail. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I guess I need to do some reading on them ...

You can't walk anywhere hardly in my yard without frogs jumping around you. It's the invasion of the Cuban Tree Frogs right in my backyard. Ugh ...

There must be a gazillion of these frogs!!! The noise at night is deafening! No wonder I have so many snakes in my yard ... they are fat and sassy snakes from eating a feast of frogs and rodents and lizards! Yummy! NOT! LOL!

Here is the corner garden bed. Finally has filled in and looks like the jungle I want! Mother nature comes together quite well in my backyard! She does me the honor of blessing me with such a gentle scene. Except ...

You can see the I. indica in the 5 gallon container (one that my dh brought home from work). That vine is a monster. I am expecting it to kick right through the bottom of the container, grow feet, and get up and walk right out of my yard! ha,ha! I am totally amused by this vine...

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Don't mention snakes! LOL

And I saved the best for last ...

This is one of the mystery seeds that Dany shared with me that he got from Japan in one the auctions on Japan eBay (if I am not mistaken). This is the coolest looking leaves. Look at the color blocks on almost every leaf! I can't wait to see what the flowers are gonna look like! I know they will likely be blocked colors too! Very, very neat to see these leaves!

Jon - I only allow "friendly" snakes in my yard! The poisonous snakes are banned! LOL!

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

becky, love your arbor and I love vines too. Can't plant enough of them.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

I love the tiny frogs Becky. We've got some of those this yr.
We don't get them every yr, kinda strange.
Can't wait to see your color blocked blooms

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

aww I love your place and your plants and your critters and well, can I come over to your place for a week or two???

Birmingham, United Kingdom

Becky - STUNNING (!) Passiflora I have collected some wild maypops myself from seed the name passiflora Passiflora or 'Passion flower' (Flos passionis) acquired its name from descriptions of its flower parts supplied in the Seventeenth Century by Spanish priests in South America, known at that time as the 'New Spain'. It was known by the Spanish as "La Flor de las cinco Llagas" or the 'The Flower With The Five Wounds.' 'Passionis' refers to (Christ's) suffering. The parts were interpreted from drawings and dried plants by Giacomo Bosio, a churchman and historian, in Rome (1609), as representing various elements of the Crucifixion. The morphological difference(s) of the sub-species is quite apparent bore in color and in form, have you tried any hybridisation experiments? Passiflora caerula proves hardy here in the UK

TTY...

Ray

Thanks Nicole, Jackie, Debra, and RSM!

Debra - Come on down! I hope you don't mind a hurricane or two!? LOL!

Me, too, Jackie! That blocked leaf vine is the coolest! I can't wait! I have a several vines with buds on them. Five are from Dany. The other five seeds he sent never sprouted for some reason. :-(I am certainly curious to see what all the blooms are gonna look like! Anticipation ...

RSM - Do you know how to pollinate those Passiflora blooms?

I just got the most touching email from a friend. I have a soft spot in my heart for people with cancer due to losing so many friends over the years and recently my precious Mother. So ...

I want to first post the SNOPES link and let you know that the photos of Katie that won the Best of Photojournalism Award 2006 (though I had not seen them or heard about them) :

http://www.snopes.com/photos/people/katie.asp

And here are a few more photos:

http://bop.nppa.org/2006/still_photography/winners/OES/67966/134496.html

And the message: Find your "joy" in even the most adverse of situations.

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

that reminds me so much of my mom,she lost alot of weight right before she died,oh how sad that makes me,looking back at here pics just bringd tears to my eyes,i hope i dont have to see that again,so sorry about your mom becky i know how you feel thxs for sharing and that does make it easier on me lol thxs again for sharing

mortez - Somehow I missed your post before I let this thread go. I am so sorry to hear about your mom. {{{Hugs}}} I know exactly how it is, as I lost my dear mother this year to lung cancer. It's the worst! I don't understand why the researchers still have NOT found a cure for cancer after all these years and all the money that has poured into cancer research. Maybe they are making too much profit to release a cure? I often wonder ...

Well, I decided to resurrect this thread because of a vine that is blooming. This is the Pink Coral Vine and oh my! How I just love it! This was grown from seed (which came from Sandy). What a gem of a vine! I like everything about it! The leaves are beautiful and those pink blooms are so charming! I like this vine very much and now need to find a special place for it in my yard! Thanks again, Sandy for the seeds! :-) I hope to get seeds from it too! This would be a nice one to share! :-)

This message was edited Sep 28, 2009 12:43 AM

The blooms on this vine get larger with each passing day. Sorta like Clematis blooms. They start off tiny and then stay open for a week or so as they continue to get larger! Beautiful! A winner in my opinion!

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

I love your vine Becky, even the leaves are pretty.

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Becky I love the diversity of your garden, I like to grow many things too! Next years theme for me is a vines garden, using mg, clems, sweet pea and many others.

Jon

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Becky, your coral vine is awsome.. mine has started blooming too, I hope they winter over ..
do you have a porcelain vine?

Thanks, y'all! I truly do love this pretty vine! I am almost thinking I want to grow it along my picket fence around the patio area. That way I can also grow another vine with it. I like the corkscrew vine, too, because of the fragrance. I have one seed pod on that vine so far. So many vines, so little room. And that is not to mention several new Passiflora vines that I also have in pots! LOL! I am aiming to become the "Vine Queen"! LOL! I think I can achieve that status! LOL!

Debra - I'll bite ... What is a Porcelain vine? Never heard of that one!

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1524/

Jon - LOL! Gee, why didn't I think of that! LOL!

Porcelain vine got lots of negative reviews because of it's invasive quality. Not one I want here from what I read. Everything is aggressive growing here! LOL!

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

becky
love that coral vine awesome blooms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

my coral vines never bloomed this year.... :(

Thank you everyone! I am totally amazed at what I was able to start from seed this past growing season. I was very lucky to have some nice seeds from some very NICE folks here! Thank you to all!

Melbourne, FL

Hi Becky, wanted to send a pic of my back fence and the Coral Vine growing there. I know you have some started.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Second pic.

Thumbnail by gardenpom

those coral vines look fantastic Becky....

Thanks everyone! I am so tickled to have my little vine blooming! It is so pretty! Blooms seem to last for a long time ... days, a week, I am not sure! :-)

gardenpom - YOURS are beautiful! How much area do they take up on your fence? I really like the "baby" plant I have right now. I have visions of it being large and gorgeous like yours! :-) Is yours in the ground?

Melbourne, FL

Mine is planted in the center of the back fence, and is growing both directions and has reached the shrubs on the ends. I have to keep pulling them off because they will climb the shrubs and then climb the electric lines, etc. If it does ever make it to the poles or lines I will have no choice but to kill it, because I have seen it growing all over those lines and I am sure the power companies do not like it. It's really gorgeous and the bees love it. If we get a freeze it will die back, which would be a good thing, because then it would come out young and fresh in the spring. I should be able to harvest seeds from mine pretty soon if anyone is interested in trying Coral Vine.

This message was edited Oct 2, 2009 7:31 PM

gardenpom - Thank you for the info. I was afraid you were going to tell me that! LOL! Oh well ... I might plant mine on the other side of my backyard and let it grow there where there are no power lines. I've managed to keep my Passiflora and Flame Vine under control the past several years. So why not the Pink Coral vine, huh? Can you see I am justifying giving this plant a permanent spot in my backyard! lol :-) It's a beaut!!!

I have some more interesting photos to post, so am jumping right in here this morning!

I hadn't taken any photos of my Spanish Flag vines lately ... YEP! They are still alive and going strong! LOL! They are starting to bloom again. I have not found any seed pods though ...

Year 2 for this bad boy! I just love this vine!!! I. batatas are all about the foliage!

I haven't posted a photo recently (I don't think ...) of the Yellow Chinese Evening Glory! This thing is huge!! No blooms yet though. Still waiting ...

This message was edited Oct 4, 2009 12:46 PM

This is a Walking Stick bug on a Cassia bush. I just noticed the Passiflora vine sneaking into the photo too! LOL!

Melbourne, FL

Are there actually two in that pic, Becky?

gardenpom - Yes there IS!!! Must be mating season for them again! LOL! Good eye to see that!

Guess what I saw yesterday? I haven't seen one in over a year. A male Painted Bunting! I even got a photo! I was so excited!!! They are such beautiful birds! :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.