So. Calif. Fall RU 2009

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Hello everyone,

Unfortunately the park we hoped to have the round up at is not available on September 26th or 27th .

The good news is that Louise (Weegy12) has agreed to have our roundup at her home on Saturday, September 26th. Her address is 9650 Deerbrook St., Rancho Cucamonga 91730. The roundup will begin at 11:00 am until ??

Now that we have a great place for the roundup, we need to get organized on what we are going to eat and what we are going to do at the roundup! We are not going to have any specific theme or guest speaker. Basically we are going to get together to enjoy each others company and discuss our favorite thing – Plants. Here are the things you need to know if you are coming:

- Food will be a “Pot Luck” format with everyone bringing a dish. A food thread will be started soon.
- Everyone needs to bring their own drinks & ice.
- Everyone who wants to participate in a plant trade should bring plants/seeds for trading. A plant thread will be started soon.
- Just for fun we are going to have a garden themed “White Elephant” trade. If you want to participate, bring that item that just doesn’t “fit” in your garden any more or that has been sitting in your garage for years that you don’t really want but might be a great treasure for someone else. You will need to wrap this item as well.

What makes a roundup fun are the people who attend. Seeing old friends, meeting new ones, and sharing stories about our gardens makes the roundup one of my favorite events of the year. I look forward to seeing you all real soon.

To the new members who are thinking of coming…..you won’t be disappointed. This is a great group of friendly people and we do our best to make you feel welcome.

Please let us know as soon as possible if you plan on coming so we can make sure there are enough tables and chairs for everyone.

If you have any questions, please feel free to voice them here.

Donna

List of attendees:

SoCal
weegy12
kaperc and John
wcgypsy
Jasperdale
marieortiz
Rodicap
Desert Pirate
Quyen
kanita
quiltygirl
dillansnana
Samigal

This message was edited Aug 22, 2009 6:46 PM

This message was edited Aug 31, 2009 10:05 AM

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Rodica and I will be there!! Off to look for a ticket now :o) ( well maybe tonight after I let my DH know what is up)

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I have some nice wooden folding tables and chairs if they're needed. I'll be happy to bring them, just let me know.

Also, thanks so much for offering your place for the Round up Louise. What a treat this surely will be.

No. San Diego Co., CA(Zone 10b)

Weegy to the rescue! I'll be there.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I will definitely be there. Unfortunately I will be coming Friday afternoon since one of my colleagues is off that day and I have the 'honor' of replacing him. I was hoping to be there Friday morning, as usual, so I can help with all the preparations. :O(

I'll try to go early and pitch in for you, Rodica! We'll just be glad to see you and Marie.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Yes....

Yeah, the Arizona twosome are coming. lol

I'm going to keep a list on the first post of who plans on attending. I meant to take the second spot for this, but forgot. lol When you post that you can come, please post how many will be in your party.

Come on you lurkers, jump on in and join the party.

Donna

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Thanks everyone for the offers of tables, chairs and help!
I hate to ask anyone to have to drag anything more than they have to but I'm going to need about 4 tables that we can put all the plants on...hopefully tables that you don't mind getting dirty or scratched up a little. So far, I think we're ok on everything else.
I'm looking very forward to this!

This message was edited Aug 18, 2009 7:08 PM

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I can squeeze in two 5' tables ......

We used two sawhorses and a 6x3 ft board here - DH thinks we can fit that in the car.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Those will both work. If you can't fit them Kathleen, it's ok, I have an old picnic table we can use too. I'm just anticipating LOTS of plants!!!

Speaking of lots of plants, we will need the plant and food thread started soon.
weegy said she would do the food thread, anyone want to start the plant thread?

Thanks,
Donna

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Rodica and Donna, Tony says bring your DH's!!!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Please, thank Tonyfrom us , but somebody has to stay home to take care of the garden and my precious Lulu. LOL
I am trying to see if I can arrange so I can come either Friday or Thursdaty evening. Marie was suggesting that and I am trying to get it done.
Now I am trying to think what I can bring to the swap and if we can make it on Thursday , I might make my famous leek tart.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Yummy...well your DH is always welcome and I hope he can come visit us soon.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I would appreciate that leek tart.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

You can't have any, you've had enough!!

OK, I'll start the plant thread.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Food thread's started!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1028934/

And here is the plant thread

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1028939/

Thank you both for your help. :-)))))

Hemet, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh,Goody my first round up......................I'm so happy that hopely we're be able to attend. DH is on disability so he's there, I'll have to ask for the day off (should not be a problem). So, so looking forward to meeting you all.
Sylvia

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Good news ! It looks like I am going to be able to come on Thursday after all and I hope Marie will come too. She actually asked me if I can leave on Thursday and I told her I could not, but my colleagues said that they will pick up the slack , so I am free to come. Hurray !

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I didn't have to beg too hard, Emma and Andrea will be here!!

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

COOL!! I'll be on my best grandpa behavior.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

LOL! I wasn't worried!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Looking forward to meeting you Sylvia, hope you get the day off.

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

I just popped in to CA-forum, then had to check calendar with DH, and sure enough -- this is a bad day for me. I could try to stop in for just a little while, but he has TWO meetings and THEN we have to get gussied up for a black-tie hospital benefit! It never rains but it pours.

Sorry I've been so scarce, everyone. I've put DG bookmark right up there next to my three (!) mailboxes and eBay, am trying to check in once a day a least, now!

~'spin!~

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Even it's just for awhile, we'd all like to see you.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Happy you are going to be able to have the RU. : - )
Sad that DH and I will be unable to attend. : - (
Take lots of photos!
WIB,
SW

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, we'll see -- sorta depends on whether my presence will make it easier (or the reverse!) for DH to accomplish all he has committed himself to!
~'s!~

LOL! I just sent you a DMail, 'spin!

SW, you can't make it? Oh, no! Will definitely take photos. We will miss you so much. :-(

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Darnit Jules, was really, really hoping to meet you.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Ditto.
I weep.
Maybe in Spring?
WIB.
SW

edited 'cause I lost a sentence.

This message was edited Aug 20, 2009 7:25 PM

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Hopefully.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey guys, thanks for trying to accomodate my schedule when planning this event.
For those who are new or just missed it, a brief explanation. DH and I own and operate a commercial Bee keeping operation, a Christmas Tree farm, and a Pumpkin Patch. We've hosted many events at our farm. We like keeping it rural.
A while back, I insisted to DH (who tends to be a workaholic) that we take a vacation with our kids every year. The kids were on year round school schedule, and we like our So. Cal. beaches, so we bought a time share in Oceanside. The water is as warm as it's going to get and most of the tourists have gone home, after Labor Day. We liked it so much it has become the respite before the storm.
Because of DH's schedule with the bees (pays the bills), we had to work his vacation time around the bees. This is the time of year when they are extracting the honey and putting the bees out to pasture for the winter. They will medicate them, and feed them up so they are strong for pollinating next spring.
We always open the Pumpkin Patch on Oct. 10th. Close on the 31st or when we run out of pumpkins. We open the weekend before Thanksgiving for early Tree Reservations, and then we open the farm to the public, on the day after Thanksgiving. The Christmas Trees pay our property taxes. During October, and December we don't take any days off. (Well the guys don't, I might fill in, in a pinch, but I don't work anymore). In November, we have the Bee Convention (San Diego this year, NOT Lake Tahoe!), and we have to tag all those trees out in the field (only those over 5' tall) with price tags. We work hard from the time we get back from vacation til Christmas Eve. Then we collapse.
We chose late September because of DH's schedule and we were able to get two weeks in a row in the same unit. This year we check in on Sunday, Sept. 20th. Since both boys are in school, they will only get to join us for the week ends. Because we check out on Sunday, Oct. 4th, we only get the one full weekend with our boys. As our boys get older it seems more important to me that we keep our own family days. Might also explain my ambivalence towards those holidays! LOL!
In February, DH and I go to our time share for one week for our Anniversary, and face it we need time away from our kids every once in a while, as much as we love them. : 0
I might be able to meet up with some of you when we are in O'side. As for the rest of you, just because I can't be there in person doesn't mean that I won't be there in spirit. Besides several of you live close enough that you can pop in for a visit. I still owe Quilty girl a drink of dry water! LOL!
If anyone wants me to save them some rooted spider plants, that I just yanked out of the ground in the gh, LMK, otherwise, they are chicken food.
We just have to plan on a get together for spring. That will give me something to look forward to. : - )
Like I said, take lots of photos!
WIB,
SW

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 9b)

I just realized that, in addition to the two meetings DH has and the formal benefit in the evening, we are leaving the next day for two weeks in Utah and Colorado. So I will be packing and gassing up the car and unable to stop by even for a while.

SW, you sure are organized!

~'s!~

Anybody with that much going on has to be organized! We'll miss you both. Say hi to Blooms for us, too.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Hey all! Count me and DH, Tony, there with wings on - or at least I'll have wings. DU can be bribed with Lemon Bars - Kanita??! I look forward to seeing those I met in March plus lots of new faces.

SW, I ADORE the beach, even more since living in this dry, gopher ridden desert. We will miss you but you will be in a wonderful alternative. You are so right, I am behind in getting my dry water! Will you be around tomorrow Sat 22nd? We are going to memorial, ashes release, and benefit barbecue & auction down the road from you for our ferrier (on Daily road) at 10.

Lynda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.