Cypress Papyrus - Zone 5/6???

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

I'm visiting Pittsburgh and walked by a garden yesterday. Luckily enough for me, the gardener was out working in the garden was was able to tell me about this FABULOUS plant he had growing. He said it was cypress papyrus. I looked in the plant scout and nothing listed should be able to grow here. Does anyone know what this might be? It looks like the pictures shown in the plant scout but the zones listed are way too warm. Thanks for your help!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't suppose you could go back and get a picture of the plant? It's possible he had the name wrong, or if he has the name right, then maybe he has somewhere to keep it for the winter or was just growing it as an annual.

Millington, TN(Zone 7b)

If it's truly papyrus, it's spelled Cyperus papyrus. It's not hardy below zone 9. It's a very fast grower and it can be grown as an annual or brought in over the winter.

Emerald Isle, NC

I am in zone eight and over winter some in the deep part of my pond and others in a baby s pool in thw garage Hightider

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

If it's cyperus papyrus, the gardener is either growing it as an annual or carries it in for the winter.

I grow cyperus alternifolius (Umbrella Palm) which has proven to be hardy in my zone 7a. I have two huge clumps of it growing next to two ponds. However, I don't grow it IN the pond. It's been very drought tolerant despite being a pond plant. I plant both clumps on mounds in soil mixed with sand, for drainage, like I do my cannas and gingers. And it survives winter very well and just keeps getting bigger. This year, it's even grown to about 6 ft! It's not quite as pretty as cyperus papyrus, but I can have it year after year with no trouble. Here's a picture of it as it looks today in my garden.

Thumbnail by ButterflyChaser

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.