Dove Creek fire - everyone ok?

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi-I'm over in Montrose (south and up a bit) and yesterday afternoon smoke rolled in from the west so dense that I had to go in the house (living in my travel trailer for the summer and am mostly outside). I called the fire department (after spending two smokey summers in Northern CA, besides a decade here where I could see fires happening, I'm ready to load up the dogs RUN) to see what was up and learned there was/is a fire in Dove Creek. The official said that the fire was not contained and because of the wind, firefighters were pulled back. Dove Creek would be about 40 miles from here following animal tracks.

So, is everyone ok? I didn't ask how big the fire was/is. The valley below is hazy from last night's smoke but there is no wind and the sky is blue.

I took a photo of last night's moon, which was a glowing orange, but it only came out as a bitty little speck against the black, so I won't post it.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Well...maybe no one is in that area of CO.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Well, I'm sure not anywhere near there, 4paws, but it was sure nice of you to post and check on people.

Fires are scary events.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

They are.
Last summer in Northern CA was all fire....smoke daily to the point of a clean air center being established. All my garden photos have a haze to them.

When I posted, I didn't remember that the forum covered more than one state.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Yeah, we had one day here so far when the smoke was quite intense from fires in Lassen Nat Forest just south and west of my location..... and on the night of 8/5 morning 8/6 there were something over 800 lightning strikes just east and a bit north of here...... predicting a bad season, are the ones who know....

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

After a week of refreshing rains AB was able to send crews to BC to help out with their fires.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Actually, we are about probably within 10 miles of the fire or so... no smoke here yet. It's apparently a pretty remote area, no damage to any structures so far (knock wood). I was just reading that they have 187 firefighters working on containing it. Thanks for thinking of us in this neck of the woods.

Brenda

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

You were one I was thinking of, Brenda. Amazing that you didn't have smoke, but here it was bad enough to not be outside. I was reading in my travel trailer with doors and windows open when I realized my eyes and nose were burning.

Kylaluaz, you are not terribly far from where I used to live (Hoopa, near Del Norte and Trinity). Last year there were hundreds of strikes as you say happened a few days ago except it was in early July, late June.

Glad for your rain, dahlianut.

Sounds like it's not threatening anything.
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13031373

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Here's a picture taken today from the upper parking lot up Mt Shasta, of smoke from the Lassen fire. Made it hard to take pictures...... because the light varied so much at different distances, very bright where we were but... as you see. At a certain point I had to stop cause it was burning my eyes. We could see plumes of smoke as well as the layers that show here, but no good pictures of that. I'll post some other pictures from today in the Mountain Pictures thread in a bit.

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.