Some pictures from my camping trip at Sugarite State Park

Santa Fe, NM

Here are some pictures that aren't of mountains especially but just what caught my eye. Which was darn near everything, since I took over 300 pictures! Believe me, I have deleted some and will delete many more. I was learning how to use my new camera with a tripod and telephoto lens part of the time. Also used my old camera, especially hiking in rougher areas or when I was in a hurry. We arrived during a rain storm which came down hard but only lasted half an hour or so.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

That was with the new camera. So is this, no tripod or telephoto on these ones, by the way. This was from our campground, first night out.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

The next day was hot and sunny. I went out in a meadow in the campgrounds to play with the telephoto lens. I was not entirely successful in using it well because I didn't use a tripod.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

L.O.L.! I was also being a little too quick when I unloaded them on the computer and forgot to rotate them! This is what the telephoto could do without a tripod, looking at a bug. I have several shots of this bug. No idea what it is. A colorful bug.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

That wasn't the best shot of the bug, but they're hard to see in a thumbnail. You get the idea, though. These canyon walls are a place where rock climbers like although I didn't see any.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

After awhile I'll switch over to some quick pics with the little camera. D.H. took this one. That's my back!

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

You know,I can never find anything when I'm looking for it. Taken with the little camera.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

There were tons of butterflies and wild flowers! I was getting dehydrated running around trying to take pictures of them. Here is a Black Headed Grossbeak at the bird feeder near the visitor's center.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

There was also a photogenic chipmunk. He was checking out something that had spilled from a trash locker. All trash and food has to be in bear-proof lockers. We did not see any bears this year but they were not far away as evidenced by their droppings. The camp host told us that they'd had a couple of bear incidents recently where campers/ small r.v.'s were broken in to for food that had been left out. Tent campers, usually more careful, no problem.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

One more for now.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

I had trouble finding my moon shots before. Lets see if they're around. O.K. here we go. With the new camera and a tripod.

Thumbnail by roybird
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Fabulous. Cute bug, and I am jealous of your moon shots, wowie that is splendid.

Santa Fe, NM

Thanks for looking at these, Kyla. I took so many pictures it was slightly nuts! Now, I have to make folders to organize them.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I guess that's the drawback to the advantage of digital cameras, eh ? No muss no fuss no film to develop waste or wait for, no limits! AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!

lol

I am currently discarding most of my pictures as not pleasing enough. But I imagine that's just a phase.

I always enjoy looking at your photos, Roybird.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I agree with Kyla, great moon and bug -- also liked the little moth. Sounds like you had a great trip.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks for posting roybird. Nice pictures. I've seen that bug too and have no idea what it is.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Beautiful views roybird!

Santa Fe, NM

Kyla, I keep way too many pictures and end up deleting them later. I tell myself, "When in Doubt, Throw it out!" And there are some I keep to play with later. Plus, I tend to take 2 or 3 pictures of the same thing at different camera settings to get an idea of what works best. I hope I'm learning.

Thumbnail by roybird
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

wow what a teeny flower, aren't they just the most amazing things???????

I have been taking 2 or 3 or the same subject and opening them and peering at them and wondering, is this better? or is this better? or is this better ?

it gets kinda obsessive, so after a bit of that I make an arbitrary decision. As the discard is pretty final there are no second thoughts. Painless. I hope I'm learning also. having fun anyway. ;-)

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I would say you're doing pretty well Roybird! What kind of camera are you using? I used to get frustrated trying to use autofocus for tiny flowers until I learned the trick of putting part of my hand or something next to the flower so the camera has a bigger object to focus on.

The chipmunk is adorable!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I need that one for my tiny flower bed! Ahhh thanks for tip Katlian. I usually just say alot of bad words and give up on tiny flower pics. Gotta try it that on some violas!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

tsk. So THAT'S where the teeny tinies learned to cuss! Well, I never!

lol

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

NIce pics, I really enjoy seeing everyone's photos of where they have traveled, it makes me feel like I've learned a little bit about somewhere I've not been yet! Love the moon shot!

Santa Fe, NM

When I do close ups I am using the Canon S5IS, the older camera. It is what they call an advanced point and shoot or a hybrid. It has a fixed lens and can be used on manual, aperture, or shutterspeed, program or auto. It has 12x optical zoom and some ridiculous amount of digital zoom. It has a macro setting, too. The newer camera is a Canon XS, which has some problems with what I think is a bad battery connection. But, takes much better distance shots than the little camera and has a fun telephoto lens to play with. Plus it can take RAW photos which the other camera can't. Much better for editing and printing. I don't have a good printer now but I will have because we just bought one today! Not a professional printer, but a pretty good one, we hope! All this stuff is just tools and it isn't the tools but how you use them that counts. And Luck! Photography is fun because it can be so opportunistic. I'm short and stubby (not a fashion model) so I can make myself in to a pretty stable tripod most of the time, which helps with focus! : )

Thumbnail by roybird
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

You are SO not 'stubby' funny bird! You are svelt and pixieish.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That's what I always thought, dahlia!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Nice pics roybird. I think that your bug is a Milkweed Longhorn Beetle. http://davesgarden.com/guides/bf/go/4043/

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Cool, plutodrive. I just assumed no one would be able to identify that one!

Santa Fe, NM

That sure looks like him, Plutodrive! What's he doing in New Mexico? Thanks for the i.d. And thanks for the nice comments Dahlia and Paj.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Maybe he came to snack on Asclepias incarnata (Rose Milkweed)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.