My Morning Glory Adventures continued..August

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

This begonia pot is in the pear tree, and in that pot to the back is another rebecca from Karen growing, intended to grow up the old pear tree.. you can see the leaves behind the hanging begonia pot

Thumbnail by joeswife

Emmas' mix had alot of purpureas, and the jaimie lynn was tagged from Ronnie I found..
the SOH and the dainagon as ID from joseph, are in the same spot.. no wonder I am confused..
I keep thinking of all the seeds and plants I have given out and only two pictures posted of what has grown out since I have been here.. I can see why as it is a hard thing to do to try to keep things straight enough to not make a mistake about who sent what and what it is.. but it doesn't matter.. I shall still send out seeds and plants, trade or charity.. as long as I believe they are being grown and not being thrown away ....
I gave out alot of seeds from Joseph to people not on this forum, and hope to see some kinda post as since I bought those, I had requested at least a picture as they grow out.. nothing more.. so that I could see what I would have enjoyed myself..

Thumbnail by joeswife
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Debra - I can't remember ... has this one bloomed yet? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6921251

My Jishi preferred a pot, too! Isn't that weird? Maybe it is happier having it's own space. :-)

Becky that one has not bloomed, it has been stunted in getting any light as it is in the I Purp mix pot out in the corner of the fence.. I am moving it this weekend.. I did plant two more seeds in the empty bean patch.. up aready in three days.

Cool! I am curious to see what the blooms look like. I got the new Shibori Swirl vine (4 different colors on the blooms) from my F1 grow-out this year of that vine! So I wonder what you will get! :-) I can't wait to see photos of your blooms!

After searching plant files and comparing my daingon last winter to the one growing on the fence I have come to the conclusion that this one is Roman Candy

Thumbnail by joeswife

and even tho the packages that I paid 12 dollars for on ebay from a known seller showed and said Sybils Dance Miko No Mai, I also looked in plant files and saw that it is indeed Akasutki No Mai... and the one on the fence from the second package is indeed Miko No Mai, even tho the packages were identical, and since I recieved seeds as gifts or trade or purchase from Dg , as Akutuski No Mai I am anxious to see those grow outs to compare.

Debra - Were the seeds in the original Japanese packages? Unopened?

yup.... if you want to see the Blue silk that I got either from Becky or Joseph, please go here because I gave it to this person... and it is posted on the vines and climbers ( Grew it in the shower caddy and gave it away)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6705489

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

This is the problem with growing so many MG's. I'm learning by mistake made....

Starting now, I will label all seeds that were given to me with DG name, especially my MGs. These had labels of Hanahubiki, but it doesn't look anything like the photos in plantfile. I have looked through all my seeds and I do not have anything grew out that look like Hanahubuki.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

well, that is one beautiful flower.. I am looking in plant files now for some more of mine..

I want seeds for this one - it's beautiful!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/52982/

Nicole - Sometimes seeds that your receive are crosses and may not come true to the mother vine. The label on the seed packet may be indictative of where it came from though. That is one reason I always add a disclaimer in with any of my seed trades for I. nils or I. purpureas. And if you are wanting some Hanafubuki seeds, I am sure I will have some to share with you this Fall. :-)

Debra - PlantFiles is a good resource, but unfortunately not all possible cultivars are listed there. Especially the new Japanese cultivars that are introduced each year! :-) But it sure worth a try! And if I have a cultivar name, often just googling that name with "morning glory" will bring up links as I am sure you already know. :-)

Thanks Becky, I may have to take you up on that. I have a few Hanahubuki seeds left, so I germinated them and labeled the container, so may be it's too late or may be I will get some flowers and see if they look the same as the ones already blooming. Anyway, I marked them with the straws so I can identify the different ones that are growing.

the lavender moon flower is so pretty..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Lavender moon flower

Thumbnail by joeswife

this am at 6:30.. not very light out now.. seems like fall is on the way, even tho it was up to almost 98 here today.. hardly anything was opened yet.. came home at noon, I missed two blue silk blooms, another Miko no Mai on the south fence, and another two of those blue and white swirly stripey ones.. tonight we had another threat of a storm, so I undid all the trailing wires, took down all the umbrellas, moved all the things I could move to shelter,, and all we got was light rain.. Up north Salina got hit bad today, took a church stteple off and rammed it into the church roof.. I felt bad for that town.. lucky for me no damage this time..
that burgandy wine flower looks like it could be a berry ice I planted in that pot.. the chinese evening glory behind it is eating the other side of the fence, still no blooms on it..

Thumbnail by joeswife

I did see this one blooming at lunch time.. at least it didn't look all melted down..

Thumbnail by joeswife

this is that one that is tagged lucuna white star ( can't remember too tired) this shot is blurry, my flash and battery was very low and I was in a hurry .

Thumbnail by joeswife

Poor sybil, she has a time with the wind, the shrub stems have poked and torn her so much..

Thumbnail by joeswife

This blue one was still open at noon.. it was turning to lavender on the edges.. melting slowy away... I get so sad when I seed them melting.. *sigh* I have alot of pods right now.. I have been plucking the pink purps as soon as I see them. trash for them, I still have about 2000 left from last year. I wonder if this was the "nice blue not varigated" from Joseph..it is an i. nil ,I think.. it vines and twines thesame as the Akatsu No Mai does and has the same kind of leaf..

Thumbnail by joeswife

I found an i.nil by the back door mg curtain, I love the shape of the leaves, I can't wait to see what the blooms look like.. the very first leaf looks like it has mites or something.. I followed it up to its top.. it is clean up there as it fights its' way thru the I. Purps

Thumbnail by joeswife

leaf 2

Thumbnail by joeswife

leaf three

Thumbnail by joeswife

leaf four

Thumbnail by joeswife

and so on.. I have to work tommorrow, so won't be able to have my regular tuesday in my back yard heaven.. I should be glad I know.. but I hate missing my blooms so much. I keep asking myself why bother... and then some little bloom reminds me why..

Thumbnail by joeswife

I got a nice picture of my Garden Spider, hubby and college girl both shuddered at the sight of her when they went out to look at her..I verbalized my fear to hubby of what if my little hummer goes back there to the summer phlox.. he laffed and said the hummer would tear up the web and get out real fast.... I can't help but wonder.. and fret.. my little hummer looks like last years baby.. poppa is all the time chasing him away.. he loves the flowers and not the feeder..I have three feeders up at least 100 yards away from each other.. but I still see the big one chase the little one away.. the old grouch. anyway here is "henry" should be henerietta i guess..

Thumbnail by joeswife

A few of my other special flowers and then off to bed.. this is my beautiful show stopping holl hock, chaters white ice

Thumbnail by joeswife

I guess I am into white this year.. white mallow

Thumbnail by joeswife

Zinnia California Giant White.. I have white to see blooms at night that is why I like white.. I am so blind as it is..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Moth around the evening primrose and pink cosmos

Thumbnail by joeswife

where are my white moonflower glorys? when will they show up? sigh*
white 4 o'clocks

Thumbnail by joeswife

Sambac .. white scented jasmine.. I keep most of these as close to me and my chairs as possible.. have a great day today!

Thumbnail by joeswife

Thanks for sharing. Here is my new jasmine mom gave me. Must be some new cultivar. Never seen one this big. It is the size of small mum.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

Here is the other jasmine plant that I have. This one is about 5 year old now.

Thumbnail by LiliMerci

Debra - I love all your white flowers! I really do! Your Hollyhock blooms are to die for!

I can't believe you got an Ensign Tri-color to BLOOM! So cool!!!!

Looks like you have some I. nils sprouting and growing! I don't even remember what I sent you... But I hope you get more awesome blooms to share with us!

Cool spider! The adult hummers will bring baby spiders to their nest to feed the young hummers. They need the protein. The adult hummers will also use the spider webbing for their nests. It's like strong rope to hold their nests in place. :-) I also worry about my hummer getting stuck in the larger webs by the bigger spiders. So I knock the huge webs down from time to time. But I like spiders, too. They fascinate me how they can weave those webs overnight! Amazing!

Your adventures in your garden make me smile! Keep posting you wonderful photos! I thoroughly enjoy your backyard ... even if it is from photos only. :-)

I was able to catch a few more of my blooms today, finally, after work and before the storm...

Thumbnail by joeswife

Love this SOH from Joseph

Thumbnail by joeswife

this was in the chinese evening glory pot, but it is on a different vine

Thumbnail by joeswife

this is climbing a pole clear to the overhead wires and on the wire..I will have to get up on a ladder to get future shots

Thumbnail by joeswife

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.