My Morning Glory Adventures continued..August

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

We came from here : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1016874/#new
and so ends July..on to August, the month where most of the morning glory vines that were planted in May are now blooming away and eating up anythng in their paths.. I start clipping them at this point, not the flowering ends, but the runners and huge leaves that block my view of the blooms that hide under neath.. I peer up at the pole and try to figure a way to bring the vines back down to earth..

Thumbnail by joeswife

I went thru two packs of seeds to get these huge spotted pink flowers...at 12.00 a pack, I managed to get so many blooms from two different areas in my backyard. northside and southside. The first two little plants gave me a glimpse into an unusual fower.. pink with specks.. each one on both patio vines has given me a differnt looking bloom each time, but the north side is more of a wanderer.. this vine has traveled over the tomatoe patch, and the very tall nite blooming evening primrose stalks just to get some leg room.. they had traveled the soft furry lions mane yarn trails already and needed to find more climbing trails.. their blooms are huge.. some are 4 to five inches in diameter.. a pod left behind one out of three blooms

Thumbnail by joeswife

as I wander thru my back yard heaven, I stop to watch the bees hovering and buzzing around this area.. this is a weed here in kansas, but then, I collect weeds..

Thumbnail by joeswife
Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i wish my weeds looked like yours.

I pplant alot of flowers in my tomatoe patch, they act as supports and give me colour this miribalis is in the tomatoe patch.. it has a different look and I hope it is a result of my pollen mixing last year.. if only i could overcome my fear of ruining a morning glory by pollen crossing..

Thumbnail by joeswife

ahh Marie, how nice of you to join me.. I would be glad to send you some of anything you see in my adventures posted here.. this is a seed planted from Joseph.. I swear I planted a pure white here.. tonight I cut back this tall weed, and found a stunted plant under neath.. pure white is still there, but have no clue as to what this morning glory is growing on top of everything else.. pure white needs sun to show itself..next year this weed will not be in this location, and that will take some doing because it has already dropped about a thousand seeds.. it came from my sons beach area.. sheesh

Thumbnail by joeswife

here is a different view of this portion of my north fence.... you can see i planted lots of seeds .. too many, just wanted to see what would grow there..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Of course, I have tomatoes on the north fence also, I make alot of salsa, and eat alot of tomatoes all summer.. Rebecca likes it with the tomatoes..

Thumbnail by joeswife

I found this SOH from Joseph also on the north fence where I had planted it.. all these pictures were taken on sunday morning..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Rebbeca and SOH have joined each other now and I can't wait to see the crosses from those two.. she is very big in bloom on the north fence.. you can see SOHs' leaves to the right of the Rebecca bloom..

Thumbnail by joeswife
Salina, KS(Zone 6a)

Believe that 'weed' is pokeweed. Wasn't certain, but knew the flowers looked like pokeweed. In plant files there is a varigated pokeweed.

I let one grow a couple of years ago to find out what it was. I really like the very unusual flowers on them, but they are now all over the yard. Definitely a weed.

Greta

Here is the corner where Emmas mix is in the ground, and there is a pot with a few of Liz's seeds in there.. Ronnies' Jaimie Lynn made it into the ground as well..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Hi Greta! .. we have alot of Poke here in Kansas, I am growing a plant behind the dogrun, this one here is a kansas native amaranthus or something like that, and yes, it looks like a pokeweed, but the seeds are smaller.. I like native "weeds" they give good support to things that vine .. some of our poke grows as tall as eight foot here.. This rebecca bloom is on the south fence.. she is on the decline.. she is very heavy with pods.. this bloom has a bluish cast to it.. Greta, u gotta come to the Fall RU!

Thumbnail by joeswife

Here is Rebecca on the south fence, in a pot.. See how blue her blooms have become?

Thumbnail by joeswife

OH! my Henry Eilers Rudbeckia is blooming finally..it is at least 4 foot tall this second year ...

Thumbnail by joeswife
Pretoria, South Africa

Hi Debra,

I just love this one(http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6904601), and the Mirabilis is surely a stunner. Please keep me ion mind should you have any seed to share.

Enjoy your day,
Elsa

a new cleome colour for me is a companion to Rebecca..Purple Queen... why is something always called Purple Queen? I never see a morning glory called Purple Queen.. *sigh*

Thumbnail by joeswife
North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

funny that you posted a SOH. I was just reading about it earlier tonight - about how it should be solid red, not with the white in there like some of the photo posted on garden file. It said you should hand pollinated them so that you would get the old strain.

That's a pretty cleome with 2 different colors. My seeds did not come up this year for some reason. I had a plant last year and I love it. It gave me tons of seeds.

This message was edited Aug 3, 2009 11:56 PM

Hi Elsa, I am making up seed bags with Names on them, please Dmail me your requests from anything you would like in my Garden that you have seen in my threads.. and.. thanks for stopping by! This is my Teddy Bear Sunflower that is in a Vine Pot.. I have no clue how he got there.. but he is so cute!

Thumbnail by joeswife
Salina, KS(Zone 6a)

I purchased a Henry Eiler plant last fall at the Dyck Arboretum fall plant sale. He has several buds on it, but they have not opened yet. I am anxiously awaiting them.

I have been reading about the fall RU & have been considering it.

Really enjoying your morning glories. All I have planted are Grandpa Otts.

Greta, last year was my first year for them.. they took off like rockets this year.. you just gotta go to the midwest fall ru thread and check it out.. besides, you are only a few miles from me here.. I have met several DGr's so far and they are really nice .. this is my nite blooming jessimine ( cestrum?) it stays open all day tho.. just like my large pink morning glory.. it stays open all nite LOL go figure..

Thumbnail by joeswife

My faithful Duker Boo ( Duke) he gets so tired of me wandering around..

Thumbnail by joeswife

while walking around I was glad to see I could get an actual color shot of these little native asters, they are about an inch and a half in diameter and come back every year, there are some morning glory seedlings a little to the north of it.. by the new climbing branch I put up..(edited to say branch not ranch)

This message was edited Aug 3, 2009 11:51 PM

Thumbnail by joeswife

Here is the branch ( fell into my yard from the neighbors to the south of me) I couldn't transplant the seedlings out of the shower caddy planter.. so there it is.. and that black pole is an ebay plant holder, don't buy one, they fall apart..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Yellow dahlia looking so sweet in the middle of the Barrell north east corner

Thumbnail by joeswife

I need to start keeping an eye on the front and the new South East sides of the house.. Joe, My darling hubby, trimmed the front bushes around the light post.. and chopped off the tops of the pink morning glorys in the process.. I noticed a bit ago they are peeking back up thru the stickery parts of those bushes, prolly have a bloom tommorrow.. HA! also, I noticed some blooms on the Lobata, and George Strait has climbed wayyyy up the front corner of the porch trellis.. now he is going for it! I am so glad I was able to get some of those from Emma.. anyway, for now, I am going to show my colours of mirabalis.. this light pink is a favorite to look at, but it doesn't smell as nice as the yellow and fuschia ones do..

Thumbnail by joeswife
Pretoria, South Africa

Thanks Debra,

I will let D-mail you...

Elsa

Birmingham, United Kingdom

Your garden looks really nice; your weed is a datura. Incredible smell on those but also very toxic, mine has always attracted white fly.

Amazing SOH I have always liked it and HB I don't know why maybe because I have grown up with it.

I like your purps and your mirabilis, you probably know you can lift the roots and keep them from year to year

R

Thanks, Ray..I just plant seeds.. that jimson weed ( datura) has been with me for years.. about 22 here in that location.. most of the mirabilis come back in from their tubers.. I leave them in.. I cover everything with two to three foot of leaves in the fall.. here comes the sun! ( Rained for about 30 minutes a bit ago)

Thumbnail by joeswife
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Debra, gorgeous 4 o'clock in two colors. So unusual, it has got to
be a cross. You did good.

Duke is a handsome boy, looks very sweet. I love my animals and I have tons including a new baby kitty someone tossed out.

Last Night I crossed a yellow 4 o'clock with a fuschia 4 o'clock.. hope something happens there..
I have been trying so hard to cross a white with a fuschia to get spots, but just get a two toned fuschia pink..
Back to morning glorys.. good morning to me this am on my day off.. I spent from 7 am to noon outside..
I planted some more seeds.. moved some plants to the empty bean patch, unwound and rewound vines,
turned the compost pile, collected seeds, took pictures,picked tomatoes, had a good time.
Here is what got me so excited this am.... I got to sit on my patio at my table and just sit and take pictures.. listen to the birds call each other that their food was here.. watch my squirrel family eat in their repective family order.. congratulate Henry my Garden Spider on the big Catch that has been chewing holes in my leaves out back, count seed pods, tag them, take my time, wandering around, looking and peering, using my camera as my eyes..

Thumbnail by joeswife

I admit, I could have slept in a tad longer, but when ever I came into the house this am, I did a little bit of housework just to make it seem like I was being productive.. the most productive part of my day was tagging pods.. no, hmm, making salsa... no let's see.. oh I know, the mst productive part of my day was squeezing tomatoe seeds into jiggars, no.. hmm oh was it my bonzai trimming.... nope that isn't it either.. must have been just taking pictures and enjoying my precious moments outside in my back yard heaven..

This message was edited Aug 4, 2009 9:56 PM

Thumbnail by joeswife
North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

oh, how sweet. I love spending time out in the garden, except it is so humid and hot now. can not even enjoy it.

so, my eyes still foggy with sleep, my glasses all steamed up, I am determined to get a good picture of this setting.. boy, did I wake up fast! all the things in this pot was so tiny, so small.. the lavender purple osteopurnum is about to bloom, and the I. batatas are very happy, the begonia is blooming.. I sent some of these things to people in DG, when they were tiny, didn't look like much, but I knew they would grow...

Thumbnail by joeswife

Baby squirrell got to eat his breakfast first.. Momma was on the south fence at the Birds feeder pan, Poppa was chattering loudly warning everyone to stay out of his familys' way..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Here is Poppa.. he has a very fat belly.. he isn't afraid of me.. He waits to see what surprises I bring him, maybe a fat chunk of apple, or a cracker, or some nice shelled nuts I saved for him, today, it was a nice chunk of dried papaya..He loves that stuff.. thats' what I ate for breakfast too..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Mommas eyes were glaring at me.. LOL

Thumbnail by joeswife

Can you tell I am stalling? I really can not decide what to show you first.. so .. I will look to the left..( from my chair)

Thumbnail by joeswife

as I look around this am, I see colour everywhere.. that is by design.. It has to be that way for me..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Morning glorys are everywhere in those bushes on the fence, soon there will be splashes of blue and stars of red and white, spackles of pink, points of purples..by the end of august we will see all those blooms from my chair..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.