plant ID needed

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Hi all,
sorry, i don't know too many plant names! could you please ID this plant for me? looks like some sort of lily.
thanks a bunch!
westraad

Thumbnail by westraad
Winter Haven, FL(Zone 9b)

Looks like some sort of anthurium. Not sure which one.

Keaau, HI

I believe the cultivar's name is Anthurium 'Miss Mini Purple'.

Vieques, PR

Metro, you are amazing!

Kea'au, HI

Could also be either "Regina" or "Purple Tulip" both of which are popular here on the Island of Hawai'i. Which ever it is I am surprised it has found its way to Mozambique!

Keaau, HI

The bright purple flower, fading to lilac is an exact match with Anthurium 'Miss Mini Purple'.

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Metro, you sure do know a lot of plants!
thank you everyone, i appreciate it!
i actually didn't get the it here in Mozambique, my mom got it for me at a supermarket in South africa. it seems to be doing quite well. it does grow in semi-shade to full shade, right?
westraad

noonamah, Australia

There's numerous Anthuriums around with all sorts of colours, shapes and habits. Once they started getting out of South and Central America they rapidly spread all over the world and some are very common plants now. There's some good information on growing them on:
www.exoticrainforest.com/Grow%20or%20Growing%20Anthurium%20species.html

Keaau, HI

Hey Westraad, I'm pretty good with plants and animals. I'm all thumbs when it comes to modern technology.

These Anthurium hybrids are the most productive when grown in bright filtered sunlight, such as that found under a large shade tree.

Keaau, HI

Hey Tropicbreeze, I thought it was well known that Anthuriums wouldn't exist without Hawai'i!

noonamah, Australia

No, they're that widespread they're becoming naturalised in some places. To make room for all the Anthuriums brought into SE Asia and region you'd need more land area than Hawaii.

Keaau, HI

Gosh, these continental land masses seem to get larger every day!

noonamah, Australia

Actually, New Zealand got bigger a couple of weeks back, their west coast moved about 30 cms closer to Australia whilst their east coast moved a lot less. But the airlines aren't reducing airfares as a result of the shorter distance.

Xai Xai, Mozambique

So you're good with animals too? i presume you have pets? we have several: 5 dogs, 1 African Gray parrot (the worst), 1 guinea pig, 1 tortoise, and one canary. we have had an owl before as well. all we need is a snake, but i am NOT a snake person!

Keaau, HI

Be careful what you let Tropicbreeze overhear; he may be getting his stewpot ready!

noonamah, Australia

Dogs, parrots, guinea pigs and canaries aren't on the menu. Now turtles and snakes ....... that's another story. ;O) I've got 2 Long-necked Turtles (Chelodina rugosa) as pets, but lots of other animals - kangaroos, Frill-neck Lizards, snakes, and a large variety of birds that come and go as they please. They really run the place and only put up with me, provided I behave myself.

Xai Xai, Mozambique

yeah, these Aussies almost anything, eh?
do you by any chance eat cats? Mozambicans love to make a stew out of them!
don't worry, i am a south African, and i do NOT eat cats.

noonamah, Australia

People only eat cats here when they go out to certain restaurants, not that they know it though. ;O)

Xai Xai, Mozambique

they serve cats in certain restaurants?!
boy, if i ever go to Australia, i'l be careful what restaurant i go to! lol

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL, I'll provide the garnish.

that's a cool looking plant!

noonamah, Australia

It's just a rumour that Chinese restaurants catch stray cats as a substitute for other meats. Illegal, but rumours persist.

Keaau, HI

A restaurant on Maui was busted several years ago for making mana-pua (stuffed bread) with kitties.

noonamah, Australia

No doubt they were well bred kitties. Well, at least afterwards.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hmmm...Notty breezes are blowing..notty notty

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Yuk! I sure am going to be more careful where i eat, and i'll avoid the Chinese!
yep, i agree on the notty breezes.....

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Uh oh...someone pushed the button again...there they go...

LOL
Shari

Xai Xai, Mozambique

tropicbreeze started, so don't get on my back!

Keaau, HI

Hey Westrad, Tropicalbreeze is just looking for an easy to fix and inexpensive dinner. What is worrying you!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I know what it is! Westraad is hungry!

Xai Xai, Mozambique

Cat stew isn't that easy to fix, i can imagine it must be hard kill and skin it. so i am not falling for his alibi for a 'easy' meal! i must admit it probably won't be too expensive.....
well, to be truthful, i am hungry, but i do have food, and i think i am a better cook than tropicbreeze if he likes eay fix meals....

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Picky Picky...try Bat stew!

Keaau, HI

I'm glad I'm having tofu and Swiss chard for breakfast!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Sorry Dave, but that sounds almost as appetizing as the cat or bat stew! Breakfast...a nice bowl of cereal...fiber, flavor, and my only source of milk anymore. Funny, for a while I had a job where I traveled 24/7 and we always ate at restaurants...I went for months without a bowl of cereal. I found myself craving wheat chex and crispix...any CEREAL! Occasionally toast or a muffin, and once a week the whole extended family goes out to brunch, but I'm happiest with some blueberries, or a banana and my cereal.

Yokwe,
Shari

Keaau, HI

Don't worry Shari, I surround that with bean thread noodles, garlic, ginger, bean sprouts, wakame seaweed, a little shoyu, sea salt, and sesame oil. Good for a diabetic and it tastes great!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

mmm..I love sesame oil

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Oh so do I! I find any excuse to dribble a bit on. But I remember many years ago I didn't realize it wasn't a cooking oil and I added some to a fryer in which I was cooking lumpia. The kitchen smells like burnt sesame oil for a week!!! Turned me off for quite a while.

Yokwe,
Shari

Xai Xai, Mozambique

gotta agree, Shari, your breakfast sounds the most appetizing! i used to LOVE cereal, but not anymore, cause i have to use soya milk, yuk! i am lactose intolerant, tsk, tsk, poor me.
i usually have fruit, toast, and lactose free yoghurt. occasionally my desire for cereal wins over my hatred of soya milk.
lol, smelly kitchen, eh? i once fried a rotten egg without immediately realizing it was rotten.....

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

and to think you turn your nose up at garnished bat stew..hmmm.
When I lived in Liberia, we didn't even get milk there. We had to use powdered milk on the cereal..ick!

Xai Xai, Mozambique

bat stew garnish, thats gross. if you are so fond of it, maybe i'l catch a few and mail them to you, and you can make your own! i am an expert at hunting bats with a rake, you know. well, at least i used to be, had to catch them to feed my owl.
i get my soya milk in south africa, it tastes better than the one we get here.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL, I had to catch bats to feed the Monitor lizard...although he preferred chicken eggs, and I don't think he was partial from the rotten ones either!
A couple of drops of vanilla into soya milk does make it taste a tad better!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.