Save my Blueberries....please...

Raleigh, NC

Recently noticed my 'Patriot' blueberry bushes are looking bad. In the space of about two weeks, one bush has started losing tons leaves and branches. The stems seem to be dying back from the tips, and several whole branches are dead. Not sure if all of them die from the tips, but definitely some. Also noticed some strange looking brown bumps at the leaf axils. The spots on the leaves are yellow tinged with red or simply brown (dead) areas ringed with yellow. One bush affected so far, and the one next to it is starting now. These bushes have been healthy for the last four years, but I did notice that the most affected bush did not produce very heavily this year. Thought it might be just recovering from last year's drought, but maybe not? I've got other bushes, different cultivars, about 30 yards away that are not affected, but I have lost several rose bushes and three junipers this year in a similar fashion, i.e. tips die back and whole branches die. Those plants were in the vicinity, but not too near these bushes. See the pics below, Help!

This message was edited Jul 28, 2009 9:59 PM

Thumbnail by yotedog
San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Have you been using coffee grounds on your plants or in their soil?

Raleigh, NC

I do dump my coffee grounds on anything that likes acidic soil, but can't recall getting any on these specific plants. I did feed them this spring with azalea/camellia (acid loving) fertilizer.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

It may be nothing be there have been some articles lately about some plants not liking coffee grounds. Blueberries, Avocado, Goji and Tomato were some of the plants I have heard listed.
Also, how acid is your soil? Did you amend your soil with peat or something else when you first planted it? It could be losing some of it's acidity. Usually that would come on so quickly. I am not up on Blueberry diseases so it could be many other things. I know they are picky about dry soil and overwatering. I think overwatering more so.
I dont care if they are picky cause they taste so good.

Raleigh, NC

That's interesting about the coffee grounds, as I had an azalea that I know got a lot (planted closest to the kitchen!) and it just died. Hmmm.....but this bush has not gotten any, I'm pretty sure. And if it did, it was a long time ago. This is a well-established bush and once they're to that stage they pretty much don't get pampering (like kitchen scraps!) anymore. Save that for the babies or newly planted. But like I mentioned, I did fertilize this spring, and I do occasionally water them if they seem too dry, since I know their roots are near the surface.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I think that most people that had issues were applying it directly to the soil of the plant instead of composting it. It also said that other plants, such as figs, just loved the coffee grounds directly applied. I just compost mine now. I added some directly to the pot of my Chilean Guava and Chilean Wintergreen and they died in 10 days.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

I dug coffee grounds into the soil I was prepping for blueberries - they're doing fine now.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Yeah. I have heard good and bad stories. I wonder if it has to do with organic vs. non-organic. I have heard the worst product to buy as far as chemicals go is South American non-organic coffee beans. Someone mentioned that they think it may also have to do with the location as it can create a higher propensity for mold.

Greensburg, PA

Hey, Yote, did you see my repsonse to your #2 post??

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Listen to Krowten. I take what he says and put it in a vault.

Greensburg, PA

Texas, Wow - thanks for the vote of confidence, but I put my pants on one leg at a time too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.