Our new fountain!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

This is the fountain DH just built for us. You can go here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1019056/ for more pics of how he made it. Pretty cool, eh?

Thumbnail by bsavage
Glenwood Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

I love It!

What does it sound like?

I know recordings are probably beyond the scope of this website, but I have been thinking of making a shady quiet area with a fountain and sound is important.

Santa Fe, NM

Nice. I like fountains. Sound is adjustable by the height of how far the water falls, how fast it falls and what it falls on. Also how big the fountain is. When I set up my 'water feature" I spent time playing with sound. I'm considering a bigger pump and a higher drop for next year.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Interesting question, Pewjumper, as we have been playing with the sound, splash, and foam factors. It was imperative to have splash and gurgle, and we found with water just trickling over the logs there was no splashing and gurgling, thus the spigots. Then we found that if the water falls directly into the water, lots of sound, but also lots of foam. If the water falls on a smooth rock, backspray, less sound, less foam (I don't like too much foam... I like to see the river rocks in the bottom). So, we're playing around with the placement of the rocks under the waterfalls, which in itself is kind of fun.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Beautiful fountain. The sound of the water will encourage more birds to your garden as well.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Nice bsavage.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

It is a lovely fountain. I haven't tackled water features yet. Will probably do so some day. This is the year to tackle roses. Your fountain will be an example to me.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

O that is so original Brenda!!! I am going to show DH.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Very nice! I love the playing with sound factor. What a lovely thing, to live in a place where one has enough quiet to be able to play with the sound of water on stones......

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Ohhhhhh --- I must show this to DH.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

You know, I think the sound of water might help muffle some of the extraneous sound where you live. There are little freestanding fountains you can buy or even make.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

It is fun to play with the sound a bit. We also have a stereo in the workshop (behind the fountain) with the speakers in the window so I can have music... but of course I like it to be the perfect sound level of still being able to hear the fountain. We're having a garden party/barbeque this Sunday out there!

Santa Fe, NM

Where I live is often not quiet so I can't always hear the water. My tai chi teacher has a medium sized but very deep pond which he made mostly to have water sound, a fast running, good-sized drop, water fall. It works pretty well. Have a great party, Brenda!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Have a wonderful party dear Brenda!!!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Thank you, Sweet Dahlia and lovely Roybird! BTW, my very first dahlias are starting to open....

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Umm, that barbecue sounds good! Wish I were close enough to drop in. Have fun at your barbecue, Brenda.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.