For the love of Purpurea

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

It seems on this forum the Japanese or Nil ipomoea gets all the glory so to speak. I thought I would dedicate a thread to the lowly purpurea! I have had some glorious volunteers so far this year! (sorry for the puns LOL)

Feel free to add any photos you have...

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Of all the I. purpureas that I have grown, the pink and purple flaked ones are my favorites. Though, I must say, YOURS are really pretty, too! I love the deep pink/reddish one, second row from the top , 2 over from the left hand side. :-)

Here is pink flaked.

Thumbnail by beckygardener

And this is the Purple Flaked.

Well, it would help if I actually posted the photo to go along with the post, huh? LOL!

Birmingham, United Kingdom

Purpurea are not lowly at all; there is much that can be done with them and are great for those people who don't have the benefit of having a great summer; I have always liked them; I think they are the most rewarding fantastic photos

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Me too Ray, I love them for the show they put on!

Becky I like the purple flaked...I am still waiting on the one with the raspberry red color. I have tried a few but keep getting the purple!!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Ronnie, I can't show you my pics from your generous gifts last year, cuz I am at work.. but there was a rasberry reddish one that you will love that bloomed this am.. again, many thanks to you, because I love love love I. Purpureas and they love my trees, bushes and fence! LOL

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Debra I am looking forward to the picture!!!

I think what would be nice would be a seed company etc that could offer a mix of ipomoea purpurea in the full colour range above.

What's happening these days (only my opinion) is that people see Ott's, Kniola's etc etc in purple and various purpurea either called Scarlett or Crimson rambler and the colours are washed out.

Becky's purple flaked look really exciting and would rival a nil, they look really different.

I have the "Carnival" ones I think Candy Cane describes them better.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Well I'll certainly offer a mix for anyone who wants them and I won't even charge anything!! LOL

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

well i love the pics in the first post. dont have none . right now i am not even sure of what i have growing anymore this season. only my chocolate silk is blooming and my little blue one bloomed once. have the cypress vine white blooming and yellow lutea but any of the rest of the vines out there are up for guess. hehe

but they are pretty.

Ronnie here is the reddish one I was talking about in the mix from you that came up.. I thought I had posted one earlier somewhere.. no flakes or specks, sorry.. this is not a great picture.. the one I posted earlier is the one that my hubby found..

Thumbnail by joeswife
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Debra that is real pretty!!!

You know ... we are leaving out one of my favorite forms of I. purpurea. The feathered/hige types!

Here is Pink Triple-feathers that I grew 3 years ago. Unfortunately, I didn't get many seeds and gave away ALL of them (not keeping any for myself unfortunately). I won't make that mistake again! =:-O

Here is Sunrise Serenade in comparison. Mine had lighter pink blooms! I got a lot of seeds from this one which was also grown 3 years ago!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Oh Becky I forgot about them too!! I'll dig up a few photos of mine from last year. I didn't plant any this year and haven't seen any volunteers.

Indigo Feathers with a Sulphur Butterfly enjoying the view! :-)

Becky, this picture here : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6858727
I had some like these a long time ago ( Hige) I thought they were sick and deformed so I pulled them out.. now.. different story.. I have planted some, but they have not come up yet..
Great Photo by the way! ;D

Debra - LOL! Fortunately, I knew what they were before they bloomed, so knew that's how they were supposed to look as blooms! My Rose Triple-feathers was so pretty! I loved it! And the Indigo had lush blooms too. I need to grow out the Gypsy Bride seeds I have. I bet those would be pretty, too! They are white.

Gypsy Bride.. why does that sound familiar? Hmm.. when I get off work tonight I am looking at my seed pile..

Gypsy Bride is a nice white hige flower with blue spots amongst the frilly petals. It flowered late for me, and made seeds in the garage due to frosts occuring outdoors.

twins ...(o)v(o)...

LOL hellooo there! They look like some one in glasses..

Thumbnail by joeswife
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Oh Debra that is a great shot!!

Here is a hige from last year...it's funny but they don't seem to volunteer like my others did and I let a lot of seeds stay on the vine.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Here is 'Gypsy Bride' from last year too.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Love everyone's higes. I've got a few up, hope I get blooms.
I've never done well with the feathered.

awww they look like little feather dusters..

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I am hoping this one came back. There is a vine in the same pot as last year but no flowers yet. I forgot what it was until today!!

wow! I love this one.. .. would be nice to cross it with the lav pink

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

What a beauty Ronnie.

Melbourne, FL

Just got this one today.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Nice shot GP!!!

I have noticed however that ipomoea purpurea seed does not last as long as ipomoea nil

gardenpom - I love the TALL look of your I. impomoea bloom! Great perspective that is soooo accurate! :-) They do grow long and tall! :-)

Melbourne, FL

Yes, that was at the top of my six foot fence.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Here are a few more of my volunteers...This one continually splits a bit every year.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

You can see some slight feathering on it...

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

My Milky way sport has different flowers every day

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

A softer one...

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

A lovely greeting in the AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.