Question about streptocarpella

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Sounds like a horrible disease but it's a houseplant. My question is, can this plant be pinched back to make it bushier? I had one before and it did real well during the summer outdoors. Then when I moved it indoors for the winter it became really leggy. (not enough light?) I eventually killed the poor thing. I just got another plant last week and would like to help it live. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks.

GayLynn

Cramlington, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Here's a link to a growing guide from Dibleys. Good luck with your plant, they are such little charmers!

http://www.dibleys.com/care.htm

Perfect! Thanks for the link.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I grow them in morning sun (until around 10AM), afternoon shade. They prefer a soil that drains well & do well with a fertilizer in a 3:1:2 ratio, like MG 24-8-14 or 12-4-8, or Foliage-Pro 9-3-6. They respond poorly to having their foliage unnecessarily doused when you water, and bloom better if you deadhead the flower stalks after they go over. They come very easily from cuttings & you can usually make several plants from singular plants bought in the spring. Pinch elongating stems to geep them compact and to maintain a desired o/a shape.

Al

Thumbnail by tapla

Your plant is gorgeous. You obviously know how to grow them! Thanks for the additional information.
I was disappointed when I killed the last one I had, I think they are so pretty. Thanks Al

GayLynn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.