Lucky Ducky… A duck on a pond, pt. 2

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1012787/

The wee one continues to grow. She's taken to wanting to be with me and fall asleep on me, but also loves her new private, comfy crate.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

I broke out the props… she posed for a short time.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

And gotta clean the bum feathers.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

I informed the rehabber last night that ducky's aunties and uncles want pictures and she said she'd be happy to do that!

She agreed that I'll need my kleenex when dropping her off. She told me a funny story about a woman who brought a duckling to her, then came back 20 minutes later to say she had bonded too much. By this time the duckling had already been introduce to the other 20 ducklings in the rehabber's care. She said that if the duck ran to her, or she could pick it out, she was welcome to take it. But the ducks all stayed together. That made me feel better… I've been worried that the duck will feel abandoned.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I just love your pond and am thinking that you must have created it. What a wonderful place for an orphaned ducks water intro. Someone mentioned bathtub swimming. Is their a starter thread that I missed?
The story of the person who returned after 20 minutes to find a happy duckling amongst the group does sound encouraging. Maybe you should do that just to settle your mind and heart about all going well. It would be really cool to get pics of her/him joining the group.

Marlton, NJ

Wow she has really grown!

Sounds like she is going to a wonderful rehabber!!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

You picked a beautiful photo to start the new thread. Love the little "prop" picture and the grooming one too. So happy to hear we'll be seeing her at the rehabber's. I do hope that story will have the same happy ending for you.

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

So cute! I would never be able to give her up...

Birdie, we did indeed to the pond by ourselves. This is our second pond, we learned a lot from the first one. I will have to say that the success of this one has been that all of the rocks (except the bottom 1" size) were hand-picked and then placed with careful thought. If I would have hired someone, they would have brought in rocks that looked all the same. There is a link to the first thread above. There has not been too much swimming in the bathtub since I have the pond. She does get fed in the bathtub.

I'm happy about the rehabber, her philosophy sounds like Duckmother's. She was also telling me about owls nuzzling her and doves coming back to the yard, etc.

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Marna, have you noticed that ducky seems to "clean the bum feathers" a lot? There is a reason for that...That is where their oil gland is located. As she ages and she gets feathers, she will squeeze the oil gland, rub her head, bill, etc in the oil and rub it alllllll over. That is why water rolls off a ducks back. For now, the oil gland is not mature (and no feathers) but ducks do the motions from birth. This is why I said to be careful with the depth of the water and the amount of time in the water...no oil and only fluff...they will get completely wet and start to sink!

You probably already knew this but just in case...

You do realize that you have to send the chair with her ;o) You will never look at that chair the same without her. I think it is my favorite picture, so far.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh you will need to get that little bench photo printed and frame it up to have!

Mrs. Ed knows this, but I had a pet dyck when I was a kid...and they stink when they get bigger. Mine slept in my room and it was getting rank in there!

Best to do a clean break when you take her. Just like dropping kids off at a siiter for the first time...just leave! lol

you all are so funny. Ed says I'm going to be a wreck too.

Interesting duckmother! She also scratches her chin a lot, and of course does the preening of her chest.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

I'm learning a lot of things here, about ducks. Great thread Marna. I agree with the others with that chair pic. So lovable.

I saw the last thread and what a difference the first pictures of the 2 threads are. It's hard to believe how much that little duck changed in just 1 week from the 9 - 16th. Absolutly too cute!!! ^_^

yes birdie, and her poops are much bigger too.

here are a few more pix…
she's decided that she likes to be with me. here she is sitting atop her crate.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

You can see how close she is. She'll also sit on the desktop.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Back out to the pond…

I've been trying to get this shot for a while. Look at those tiny little wings.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

A little drink…

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Checking out a plant…

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

General cuteness…

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

And more cuteness…

that's it for the night

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Marlton, NJ

Nice ones Marna!

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

AWWW,Mrs_Ed,lucky you,soo sweet!!!

Grow baby, grow!!! She is such a cutie.

The one next to your computer reminded me of a photo....this is Eliza Ducklittle, 2 weeks old. Notice my computer in the background.

Thumbnail by duckmother

wow! They really look alike, don't they. She did later sit between the monitor and keyboard.

How adorable!! Does she decide to go into her crate on her own or do you tuck her in for the night? Also, I am curious..is your pond near the house and does she follow you out there. I have pictured her waddling behind you going out there and back to the house. Does she swim for awhile and then get out to be with you? does she quack "mama" when she is looking for you or following you? I guess with all my questions, I just need to be up there to watch the cuteness in action ! ^_^

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

What sweet pictures of duckie! I love that one showing the tiny wings. I think I see her smiling in every picture. Duckmother, your little ED2 is just as adorable!!

Birdie, yes to pretty much all of that. She gets put into the crate during the day and night, whenever I am not holding her or she is feeding or on the pond. I have other animals in the house, so she needs to be protected. It's a dog crate with "mountain" blanket in the back and some water/food in the front. When I put her in, she'll hop right up on the blanket to do her preening. There's also a heating pad in there and she'll sit on that if needed.

The pond is very near the house and she gets carried out. I sit out there with her, but if I get up to walk to the patio, she'll frantically hop out and run to me. She immediately calms down when she sees me again and goes back to the pond.

At the pond, she swims for a while, then bathes, and then gets out to preen. Then if we are still out there, she will come over to the grass by me or underneath the chair. If I decide to walk to the butterfly garden, she will follow me. Even though she wants to be with me and follows me, she will run from me when I go to pick her up. then she kicks madly while I'm carrying her.

Thank you, duc.

Put your hand under her feet and support them. She will calm right down if she thinks she is on solid ground.

i've noticed that a bit. But if I bring her to my chest while I'm walking, she'll try to get up to my shoulder. I have a feeling that she'll take a dive off the back of my shoulder!

No new pictures today, but here's one from yesterday. She had a scratch.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

And those cute feet.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Yeah, she will take a dive off of your back!

Don't you just want to kiss those little feet!...well, right after she gets out of the water and they are clean ;o)

How long have you had her?

We got her on the 7th. She is about 3.75 ounces now. BOY is she growing.

just 10 days! Wow, it is amazing how fast those little critters develop and change. I love to do day to day pics near something for comparison.
I had a Dalmatian puppy that took pics of on two things a striped couch and a toilet lid cover that was his 1st blanket. that was very interesting to see even the daily changes.
Would love to see Ducky on that chair in a week, then 2 more ^_^
Oh, Marna, have you gotten a little helmet yet for ducky?

hehehe...silly Sheri

She's getting so big.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Look, up in the sky!

The other day she did this and I looked way up and there was a white egret flying over. Must have some incredible eyesight.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Marlton, NJ

So Cute!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Awww...that is precious!

They have amazing sight...well, as long as it is light. They cannot see very well in the dark!

Manzanita, OR(Zone 8b)

She's so beautiful. I love that last photo of her looking up into the sky.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.