proper pinching of tradescantia?

Chicago, IL

Hi -

I have had a few small tradescantia plants that always get stringy. I root new cuttings and try to pinch off the ends, but end up only with a lateral branch so that the branch is stringy but now bent at 90 degrees! I would appreciate any suggestions about generating a nice full plant. This also seems to be somewhat the case with my purple passion plants.

For such easy-rooting plants, I'd think it would be a little easier but for some reason this is eluding me...are there different ways to pinch them, or should I be doing this more? Thanks!

Chicago, IL

p.s. I mean it is a zebrina (Wandering Jew plant) - guess there are various types

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Scubadoobie,

I'm anxiously awaiting an answer to this as well. Have encountered the same problems. There must be a trick to it...or not. :0)

Juanita

Chicago, IL

OK, I think I've figured it out after doing some other experimenting. You don't truly pinch off the whole end. You wait till a tiny leaf is sprouting at the end of the stem (usually between two larger leaves), and pull it out of the socket (there should be only the baby leaf and a tiny green stem-part that come out). The end of the stalk afterwards should have intact leaves instead of being cut all the way across. I tried this and am starting to get actual side branches!

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Scuba!! I'll try it.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

My method to make a thinly growing plant, in a hanging basket, fuller or denser is to take the trailing stems and loop them back over the top of the basket. You will have to do it 2-4 times to get fill out and become dense.

Works well with all tropical vines - Wandering Jew, Philodendron etc.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Great minds think alike Dale. I do that too with ivies and such.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

scuba- great hint!
Dale- I do that too- keeps it going awhile. With my Pothos, eventually it needs repotting and then I toss all the stringy stems, some of which become bare, and make new tip rootings or stems-leaf cuttings

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

I always cut any tropical tradescantia back hard when they get leggy. It looks ugly for a few weeks, but you'll have a better shaped plant in the long run.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.