Vining Things

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

"world domination?" - ROTFLOL -- I didn't even take shots of the back left corner where I have 3-4 Honeysuckle vines...that are being encompassed by Passis that migrated in that direction as well as....yup you guessed in MORE MG's (probably grandpa otts)....and yes, Sally...that would be my arbor at the bottom of the stairs - that the kids still hit their heads on...LOL Now I LIKE that idea of sunflowers and the cypress vine growing up them....ohhhh esp. the odd colored sunflowers....

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Chantell, now looking at the pic of your Cypress Vine I wish I had planted mine sooner. The poor little things are only 2" high :( I had REALLY hoped mine would be "eating" my deck railing by now - think there's any chance it will happen before frost? LOL

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Debbie - I am more then happy this weekend when "cleaning up" to pull some good sized extras and mail them your way - they will be trashed otherwise. I actually have to to a P.O. run Monday any way with plants to some other folks....just say the word - they reseed like nobody's business!!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Chantell, you're sweet...thank you for the offer but I'll pass :) I don't even know where I could plant it and when I do find the "right" spot I've still got seeds left from the pack of the few I actually did get planted. I'll just plan to get them planted earlier next year!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Luvsgrtdanes, I am hoping to collect seeds from that Blushing Susie. It is very pretty. Not sure where R_R_R got the original seeds she used to start them.
LOL Sally, No you are not the only one with vines plotting world domination a small piece of the wisteria has gotten under the vinyl siding on the house and I just can't seem to get it all out. Just saw a new shoot peaking out today.
Here is a pic from my back deck. If you have seeds from me marked back deck or Split Personality this is what they will look like.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

These are also growing on the Back Deck

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Here's a MG from this morning...

Thumbnail by VA_Wild_Rose
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric, posted this pic in Aug Blooms yesterday so many of you may have seen it. We plant MG in our window boxes out front and I noticed the other day how they naturally grew over to the center and caught the medallion we have hanging there. LOL
VaWIldRose, Did that come from my Back Deck seed? It's very pretty.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Holly... nice pic of your yard! So pretty!
Yes, I would assume this is one of yours!
The only MGs I planted were the ones you gave me and a packet of Flying Saucer, and I haven't had any Flying Saucer blooms yet.

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Holly, That is such a charming cottage garden.

Love all the MG colors, so vibrant and diverse. I had blue last year, but it was a very pale color and wasn't done justice by my placement. I'm going to try the dark purple or dark blue next year. I put a coral vine where the MG was. Sadly, it just started suffering from the heat and is not worthy to be pictured here.

My passi is full of blooms and fruits, some as big as extra large eggs. As Hart mentioned, I've seen the fruits at the grocery store, and I used a couple some years ago, but can't remember how (assume some exotic alcoholic drink of the era). I do recall that the seeds are plentiful and gelatinous like tomato seeds, and have to be rubbed through a sieve. I don't remember getting much liquid. I'd like to try again though. I wonder how you know when they're ripe?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Pamgarden, Ric put a lot of hard work into that lower wall last summer. I only got the one Passi fruit and I am waiting for it to fall off the stem so I can harvest the seeds. I keep looking and hoping I will get more.

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

HollyAnn, My passi seeds came from Beckygardener in FL (land o'sand). This is the second year for the plant in VA (land o'clay). I was surprised that it came back. I didn't do anything to protect it assuming that as a tropical or subtropical, it wasn't hardy enough. It was slow starting this spring and only really got going when it got hot here. It's getting plenty of direct sun (also surprising to me that it could take so much). I wish someone would breed one that was shorter but had all the foliage and flowers. The jungle look is cool initially, but it does want to dominate.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Holly and Ric....wonderful job - you two! What a great idea with the MG's...I'm trying to think of additional ways to enjoy them w/o having them take over my yard. When I get that new arbor up...maybe I'll plant them next year outside of the roses and they can grow up the arbor together...ohhhhhh
Holly - I'm telling you - if you want fruit and/or plants...speak now (re the Passis) both are hardy here...Maypop and Incense

This message was edited Aug 21, 2009 2:55 PM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Pam- lol the land o sand/ land o clay!!! My sister's in FL and that's so true.
I can't say enough about how aggresive and hardy the hardy Passsi has become here in three years from a tiny cutting. If I move mine I may try to contain it with a sunken pot or cut off bucket.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Chantell, Thanks for the offer but I think I will keep it to what I have right now. I might be interested in seeds next year for some more tropical varieties. Funny not sure how this happened but I have a second passi, It might have been planted this spring but I think I remember the leaves here last year mixed in with the MG. I will be very interested in seeing if it comes back next year. I didn't plant one on purpose and I didn't have any fruit last year that might have wandered and I didn't have extra seeds. I have several MG planted in the area so I'm thinking maybe it was mixed in with MG seeds I received in a swap and I never realized it. Since I wasn't thinking Passi I kept looking at the leaves and wondering what kind of MG was going to bloom. You could have knocked me over with a feather when I saw this bloom. Funny how you don't see what is right in front of your eyes when you aren't expecting it.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I let a couple of self sowed MG grow along the edge of the patio near the steps. They look very charming tumbling over the patio. Next year I will probably be kicking myself as I weed MG from this area. LOL

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Same area looking up from the yard.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

Oh MGs looks veri nice Holli.
How far/ is surprise Passi from olher one? Darn mvinve xshools xup x/

HELP!! xM xDD xhad xspmilled xsoda xonv xhis xkebcoard x anvd xis xbceen dri for 2 xweeks bul obcvmiousl no OK!!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

LOL Sally, Remember last year when I had that key that wouldn't work can't remember which one it was but I used copy and paste to pick up the letter and put it in sentences. JR spilled a bit on our keyboard the other day but luckily not enough to do damage.

The other passi is a house plant that I keep in a pot. The pot is sitting in the gazebo same as last year maybe 4ft away.

Falls Church, VA(Zone 7b)

Oh, I just want to say that all of your pics are wonderful!! I did not plant any MG's this year though I have several types from you, Holly. I will get to them next. I only have a trailing/climbing sweet pea, moon vine, and poppy mallow. No flowers from the moon vine yet, and the poppy mallow has been very, very slow. It returned from near destruction from the bunnies last year. I hope I will have a good pic by September.

Then the climbing roses....they are blank at the moment.

Phew--better for now.
Holly--this hardy Passion vine---I have no doubt a scrap of root moved with some dirt could easily sprout.
Fox--Oh, I LOVE moonvine and again neglected to plant it this year. Promise to smell them for me! Yes,me too it often didn't get into bloom till late summer.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

My new Clematis (s) have not grown as well as I hoped this year. Recently I was reading on the Clematis forum about a Clematis fungus that causes the above ground part of the plant to wilt. They say to cut the plant back to the roots and it should sprout new growth. I'm going to try that tomorrow.

My Hydrangea and Honeysuckles are doing very well as are my Mandevilla and the Morning Glories. The Morning Glories are not blooming as well as I would like, so maybe next year I will move them to a sunnier spot.

I finally made up my mind and planted the big Hydrangea right next to a tree and not against the fence with a trellis. Claypa advised me that with the type of "fingers" it had, a tree would make it stick better and would certainly hold it's mature weight better.

I did plant another interesting vine this summer. It is Gelsemium sempervierns Margarita.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/132696/

It is still small so I can't really say much about it except that it is growing.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Stormy Which Hydrangea did you plant. After a discussion on another thread I have deceided to plant a climbing hydrangea. I have wanted one for years but was afraid that I didn't have a shady enough spot for one. I have been given a few names for ones that should do well in the area I plan to plant. Ric and I will need to work out a trellis as I will plant it over in the secret garden area growing up the side of the house. Wish I had a brick house but with the vinyl siding we will need some type of trellis for it to grow on. Good luck with the clem, I cut mine back and they are done well for me.
The Mandevilla has finally started to bloom next year I must try and get it started earlier. The Bougie has filled in and is looking very good and the new hyacinth bean was a real delight. I have seeds from that for next year if anyone would like some to try.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly, It's called Schizophragma hydrangeoide "Roseum". It is the only pink one. I got two of them, one from Big Dipper Farm and the other from my local produce store.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's one of my few MG blooms.

Thumbnail by stormyla
West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Stormy - I was probably thinking of Hydrangea anomala 'Petiolaris', I don't know how Schizophragma clings. But here's the handy Longwood guide to vines and support structures:

Thumbnail by claypa
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks! Glad to see you back, Mike. Get any canoe rides in?

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh sure, kayaking mostly, and the weather was beautiful! As soon as I got home, I wandered around the yard inspecting the garden by flashlight and broke the stem on the Mikania vine growing up one of the patio roof posts. Too bad, it was just starting to flower, too. : (

Acadia has a garden with Apios americana covering a wire fence, I thought it was nice. Not many flowers left this time of year.

Thumbnail by claypa
Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Hard to find a more beautiful wire fence, Claypa.

Everyone's vines look great.

I have always bought blushing susie seeds, but I think this year I will try to find the seeds and start some really early. I did start them pretty early this year, but they still take until mid or late August to bloom.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

RRR, I tried to find seeds to collect from the BS vine you gave me at the swap. It bloomed beautifully but I could never find any seeds.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Speaking of vining things, I have a Mandevilla to bring inside. Should this be cut back some for the winter?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Stormy, Last year I bought mine in and just cut it back alittle. Mine took a pretty bad hit form the SM and was looking pretty rough come spring. My Dad's was much bigger and he cut his back more than half and then stored it his heated basement for the winter. Kind of semi dormant. Both did well this summer for us and bloomed about the same time.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Welcome back, Holly! Thanks! We missed you.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Stormy, We had a great time but I did miss you all, too. I'll be posting some pic's from the trip and one of the highlights was getting to visit RCN. Her gardens are just beautiful. I have a ton of things to do and all three of the Grands are going to be here tomorrow for the whole day. I should be upstairs sleeping and will be pretty soon.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.