Spinning, Sox and local Flox of Sheepses (and sparkles)

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

We came from here, by request of Cousin Grownut.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1007474/#new

A daylight picture of the sparkly thick-and-thin yarn as it continues...

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Clarkson, KY

Thank you sweetheart!!!

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

I can do thick & thin yarn.. spin with fiber that has LOTS of shorts & second cuts in it.. what a mess I weaved.. LOL
My dd is teaching me to drop-spindle spin... I better learn fast.. I feel like I have three left hands.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I like drop spindling but it is rather slow compared to the wheel....so that's why I mostly stick with the wheel. I have some pencil roving on a drop spindle right now though.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I drop spindles alot.

Clarkson, KY

I drop stitches...that count for anything??

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I did that too which is why I gave up learning to knit. O and the pearl thing. I never did understand the pearl thing.

Clarkson, KY

I actually do ok knitting....but I knit LOOSE....so if I tried a sock wihth the same needles and pattern Catsy used...assuming I did it right....It'd be big enough for a kangaroo....

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

oh, i wonder if one can spin kangaroo yarn?!

I am still learning knitting and I have learned to cast on and do the knit stitch. I have not learned to purl yet. Dahlia, you probably got mixed up with the purl thing because if you thought it was pearl then you were probably trying to add little beads into the mixture, and that would be very difficult.

I drop all sorts of things, but I add vowels.

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

I knew someone who spun yarn from dog hair, so kangaroo might work. I love to knit and am attempting sox now....I have one almost done. I wish I had room in the house so I could learn to spin my own yarn.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

We doo add alot of 'u's to things Dr. Doolotz. Cousin Nut you could make divine sockies for your horseys ^_^ I can crochet :O :O (giant lightbulb appears overhead) O LOOKIE !!!!There's even a receipe!!!!! http://www.crochetandknitting.com/socks.htm
Dmail coming your way Dr. Doolotz.

Lodi, United States

I am loose too, grownut. But you knit these socks on relatively small needles for the yarn weight--so my reputation is safe.

Clarkson, KY

I use about a #3 for an 8....Was worried I'd be into negative sizes before the gauge was right!! lol...ah well....

And you MADE your rep with those Divine Beauties....no worries there...

Just realized how very Seussian our Dr Doolotz was.........who'd'a thunk...?!

Vowels are meant to be added where they can't be shifted easily...shoot, I've been getting in trouble for adding vowels since 7th grade...Only recently figured out why...now I mostly drop 'em to shut up spell check...not the most honourable of reasons....laaa!!!

Lodi, United States

I started adding vowels in kindergarten--the teachers and my parents were perplexed--but I always spelled colour "colour" and when I learned it was really an acceptable spelling, I lost all fear and applied additional vowels where ever it seemed appropriate.

It is unusual to knit loosely--I wonder what it means that we both do?

Clarkson, KY

hmmmm......vocabularize?! vowelerize? bowlderize? ummmm....stretch the envelope a bit?........

haha, hoho, heheeeee....

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I am very excited about the sock crochet recipe. I know I can crochet. At least somewhat decently. I shall try it. When I have free time after all this sparkly spinning!

Lodi, United States

Heresy! Socks are knit--even in ancient Egypt they knit toe socks--so cute.

Oh, okay, Moxon--you have the fiber and the skill, we (royal one) will overlook it this time. Just don't use crochet as a crutch to avoid the most noble of all stick arts...KNITTING!

Guess who can't crochet?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I'm working on it! I showed you my knitting!!! I still haven't figured out how to cast off!! That's how much of a loser I am!!!

(p.s. crochet is easier...)

Clarkson, KY

Claire --knit 2 stitches...poke your needle through the first. Now coax that first loop over the second and off the end of the needle. One stitch on, one cast off...Knit another so you have two staring menacingly at you. Spear the first and lift it over the second and off again. Kinda ends up looking like ummmm....you and Catscan, you being stitch one, arms make the loop...throw over her then face down arms wrapped around her ankles, begging for more socky goodness...or alternatively, her being stitch one, face down arms wrapped around your ankles, begging for more yarny goodness....then incorporate the next soul standing in line....

too poetical by half? hmmm....verbal illustration...my forté if clarity isn't an issue...

Lodi, United States

I hate to think what the censors will make of that illustration. But the explanation was excellent. Knitting is largely a matter of faith. And there is infinite foregiveness...all can be redeemed--except in lace--which is eternal torment if you err. But not all are called to lace.

As a fiber maven, Moxon, you should be able to discuss knitting intelligently in mixed company. Knitters may be your bread and butter....mmmmmm butter.

You knit two stitches, and as grow says, lift the first one over the second. One stitch cast off. Knit another stitch, lift the first stitch now on the needle (it was the second originally) over the new stitch. Two cast off. Continue to the end and tie it off.

Here are pictures!

http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=casting+off+knitting+instructions&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=I0BdSsX0IoX-tQPpt92dCg&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4#

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Mmmmm...butter....why today I enjoyed some straight-from-France butter bought at my local gourmet purveyor of all things yummiful. It has crystals of sea salt embedded in it and it is quite divine indeed. French butter rocks.

But seriously, you and Grownut, you guys rock my world. Check it out. Half way cast off. I am so excited I could pee. (not on the yarn).

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Lodi, United States

So Prettiful!

But what is that about Hello Kitty? Nooooooooooo!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh, whoops. That is a list of items that my swap partner on Ravelry likes. I am in a "green theme" swap for Ravelry (it is a knitting/crochet/spinning community site) and my partner is in Norway. She likes Hello Kitty and tea (not green tea) and fruit scented soaps. And I have to send green yarn. So I need to spin some. I need to go shopping for $20 worth of "fun' green items for my Norwegian partner. Hege. I don't know how to say her name. Is it like "hay-gee" or "hedge" or "hee-gee" or what? I feel so ignorant.

Lodi, United States

Apparently it is a very common Norwegian name--the diminutive of Helga--and no one outside of Norway knows how to pronounce it.

This is from a discussion on the difficulty ESPN announcers were having with the name of a famous Norwegian female football (soccer) player:

"They were also struggling a few times with Hege pronouncing it as "Hey-gay" so I was thinking that I might also suggest that they instead use "Heg-uh" with that same "uh" as in "duh" sound."

Clarkson, KY

Mwuahahahahaaaa.........
now on to crochet............ {{crochetycrutchetycrochetycrutchety}}
Lovely, Claire!! Well done, as I was sure it would be.
(and I second er, third, the MmmmButter motion.....)

Ummm... Heg-geh? Kinda like Heggy and Peggy...but without those nicely pinched 'y's we S(peaker)s Of English like to tie off with? Heggeeee is a bit twangy for Norwegian.......

professional dilettante maybe...can do all things, except behave, moderately well, ;p

Lodi, United States

And the lament of the Hege was heard in the land....and all over the internet.

Grownut--do you know what evil lurks in the hearts of men? Mwuahahahahaaaa...

Moxie--have you tried to spin the fiber of any of your other aminals?

I just read not to try to make unfelted socks from merino wool--apparently it is excellent for felting....really excellent...wish I'd known that last year.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

superwash merino is one of the top sock yarns.....you just have to make sure it's superwash treated.

I have spun the fiber of someone else's alpaca, and am waiting for my own llama fiber and mohair (goat) to return to me from the processor.

I have spun bamboo, tencel, soy and tussah silk, ingeo (corn fiber), acrylic, and sparklies of course.

Heg-uh.....I can do that!

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Merino is great for felting. I've made some wonderful felted hats. I've never thought about trying it for socks or slippers. Hmmmm....I feel another project coming on.

Richmond, TX

Ever since things made of bamboo have become popular, I have wondered - what part of the plant do you use?

Clarkson, KY

Been wondering that myself....thought it would have to be inner...but....???? I second that'un Porkpal.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

How bamboo yarn is made, and lots of other bamboo info.

http://www.bamboo-t-shirt.com/bambooFibers.html

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

How close is Lodi to Bakersfield, California. I absolutely MUST try this ice cream.

http://www.turnto23.com/southwest_county/20055504/detail.html

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

Not very close, Bakersfield is 200 plus miles south of Lodi.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

(Making flailing arm bows of unworthness to Catscan re: the knitting divine sockies phenomenonomonom) um er we don't want to talk about my knitting sans pearling happenings. I don't think it can even be called a picasso/dali craft which I mostly usually oftenly do sigh. I'm a little anxious about the crotchety receipe as this will be my first divine sockie attempt ever. I'm pumping hooks to prep. I think it will help if there are crotchety divine sockie songs. ( HUGE HINT HINT Cousin Nut)

Clarkson, KY

oooohhh.....a dare, a challenge.....lemme ponder that a mo'..........surely by morning inspiration'll hit....and it's best not to sing oneself to sleep with this stuff.......

hmmmm....The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.....
tocrochetacrocheta....nope....dang now...thinkthinkthink

Lodi, United States

There was "a secret" to the Divine Sock--which I do not think will translate into crochet--though I may be wrong. So I am feeling pretty cocky (poultry reference) about the supremacy of The Sock.

There is no ice cream on earth worth going to Bakersfield.....though I may be influenced by the 11 hours I just spent going there, standing in hot fields, and driving back while contemplating that I will do it again tomorrow--only for a longer time.

Though with its fine Basque heritage, there may be some residual sheepiness there.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

But, but, you could get some, while you are there, and report upon it, as an experiment of course. Residual sheepiness....oh the delights.

Shall I Crochet (sung to the tune of Mull of Kintyre, by the grand Sir Paul McCartney)

lalalalalaaaa.....

Shall I crochet?
On hooks rolling round with the wool,
I daresay, will always be tangled
Oh shall I crochet.
Far have I knitted and much have I seen
Dark socks with sparkles and mittens of green
Past Fairisle sweaters and scarves on their way
And the wool takes me onward so shall I crochet....

Richmond, TX

An inspiring song! If I were not sulking , I would join in on the chorus.

Clarkson, KY

Oh Dear...
I stand out-Mox'd....
darn...

Clarkson, KY

How's the refrain go?
mymymy....slipping.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.