My favorite part of the Garden History feature is:

There are a total of 244 votes:

All of it! I love trivia.
(73 votes, 29%)
Red dot

I enjoy seeing what plants and trees various governments have chosen for their official emblems.
(3 votes, 1%)
Red dot

I like reading about the unusual weather events. (like giant snowflakes 15
(3 votes, 1%)
Red dot

The observations and records of the world explorers are facinating.
(10 votes, 4%)
Red dot

I like the links to PlantFiles for the various plants.
(14 votes, 5%)
Red dot

I think there are too many birth/death notices for botanists and rarely read it.
(54 votes, 22%)
Red dot

I did not know we have a Garden History feature.
(87 votes, 35%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

My head is full of like facts and fancies - never a bad thing to be adding more.

london, United Kingdom

i think positive

Kannapolis, NC

My mind is filled with trivia, no room for important stuff!

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I didn't know there was such a thing. Where is it?

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Ditto cececoogan. Sounds interesting though.

Corpus Christi, TX(Zone 9a)

Cece & Paj, the History thingie is right underneath the Article thingie, on Dave's Home page; it's on the right side. =)

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

thanx I'll look for it.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I guess I'd better look for it, too.....

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

o my goodness - I just realized - I've been reading them everyday, and never thought about the name - just really enjoyed it lol

Mind you, it goes in one brain cell, then out the other LOL

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

We also have a Garden History Forum for you to discuss the various events and to suggest new ones to be added: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/trivia/all/

We'd love to hear from you...and if you know any tidbits, let Terry or myself know and we'll get them put on their proper dates.

Santa Fe, NM

I voted for the giant snowflakes!

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

With the temp here today at 95 I'd love some giant snowflakes right now!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I love the garden history and the story of the botanists and plant explorers. It puts all of my day to day gardening into perspective.

I love it when I see a plant in the garden and know a little bit about its history (thanks to the DG Garden History blurb).

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I've been a member here for several years, maybe I should explore it more...;)
This is another feature i didn't know about!
Barb

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Heh, heh,...Dave is full of surprises isn't he?

If anyone knows of a Garden History event, please let us know, and we'll get it included. I added one just today...seems Nevada is getting an official State Insect this October!

Santa Fe, NM

Pajonica, we're at 95 today, too. Might have influenced my vote!

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Yea the 15" x 8" would go nice in a beer. lol

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I TOTALLY LUV the garden history items!!!! Thanks Dave and Admin for this great feature!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I chose the explorers one, but the 15 inch snowflake was pretty good, too. I have a problem with celebrating the death of anyone. Although the ones who died young while exploring are definitely telling. Couldn't we celebrate their births instead of their deaths? I think the garden history is a lot more interesting than advertising which is what would probably go in its place. I do check it out each week to see what is there.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I think its all about how you think about death. Circle of life and all. I'm from a family that does celebrate death because it is a re-birth into another realm.......personally speaking that is.............

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Good point cececoogan. After all one day we all will go there...

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

True we all go there, but I would prefer that they survive. Oh, I know that's silly and impractical but that is the way it is for me.

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

okay....................

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

"Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die!!" quoted from a tent revival preacher when I was about 10 years old.

I love the historical trivia. Gives me insight into just how important the work of current botanists and horitculturists is. Hopefully their work will be as important as their predecessors.

Also gives me reason to celebrate their accomplishments as I try keeping my little corner of the world colorful.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I voted for the world explorers one, but...yes, there's a but...I do think there are too many births and deaths thrown in. I do skim those, but really only read the other types. I actually do like all of the topics, but prefer the overall info better on the days there isn't much of an obituary section.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I like the little history tidbits.. not fond of all the birth and death dates, would be fine if they were omitted and replaced with just the accomplishments, discoveries and breakthroughs of certain botanists instead...

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

We wanted something posted for every day, and unfortunately, there were more records of the births/deaths than the other items that we found.

Hopefully, as we add to the feature over the years, we'll have more of the 'fun' items like the giant snowflakes. We're still adding to it and still looking for items, so don't hesitate to put a bug in our ear if you know of something we should include.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

My mind is a fountain of useless and near useless facts and tidbits....this is a candy store for the trivia buff..Grin

Waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

I found it. amazing that its been there all this time and I've always just scrolled right past it. But that is me for ya

Washington, DC(Zone 6b)

Celebrating birthdays is a great opportunity to list an individuals accomplishments, discoveries and the date of their death. It just seams redundant to list both birthdays and death notices separately. Some deaths mark the beginning or the end of an era and are relevant, but again all that could be included in one post.

Florence, MS(Zone 7b)

Having worked in Ecuador, South America trying to identify tropical tree species while in Peace Corps, I can really respect the work of the early botanists!!! What a fascinating world we live in with an incredible biota! Plus it is a hoot to read about some of those explorations. Keep it coming!

Concord, CA(Zone 9a)

I enjoy reading all the trivia. Now if I could only remember a small portion of it I would be doing good.lol

South Hamilton, MA

I am more interested in the details of accomplishments than birth-death trivia.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

It seems to me, the birth/death thing just opens the opportunity to honor whomever it is on that day. That seems perfectly appropriate to me. We do it all the time with Presidents, and other dignitaries. Why not with esteemed Botanists?

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Sadly, nothing lives forever...except maybe crabgrass and the accomplishments of a few dedicated plant explorers.

Reading about some of the early botanical expeditions is very interesting, but a bit sad when the footnote says: this expedition was never heard from again and their whereabouts remains a mystery.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Being a history buff and a trivia buff,can't beleive i've just skimmed by this info.
I like dates because it's fun to relate history with different subjects......Ben Franklin-American Revolution-American plants.etc

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

REQUEST FOR RALLY TO ALL!!! Melody quote: "there were more records of the births/deaths than the other items that we found". I think that If we see a current event like a new state bug (just happened! Cool!) or know of a historical garden or info on the history of plants or events in our areas/states/provinces/countrys I think we need to post these things on the Garden History Forum. Sometimes we think local things aren't of interest to others but I believe this is not the case on an international forum. I think this is a REALLY tough feature for Dave and Admin to tackle and maintain. There is alot more biography rather than botany records out there sigh as Melody says. LET'S ALL HELP ^_^

edit: it took two edits for me to translate this into english from dahlianut. I edited out a few 'fabbys' and a 'beautious'.Sorry to all friends about my horrible habit of speaking dahlianut (blush).

This message was edited Jul 15, 2009 8:04 PM

This message was edited Jul 15, 2009 8:21 PM

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Hey, we've even got the date for the first Tater Day on the schedule...tell me that isn't as local as it gets. (my home county)

So if you have an apple festival, blackberry week, or crown a rutabaga queen...we'd like to know about it. Just do a little research and tell us when the first one was...and if you have a website, a link, so we can jazz it up a bit.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Brilliant Melody as usual. Fruit, vegetable or flower festivals and their history!. We have a Lilac Festival which I think goes back to days when there were trials. I will research and post. There is a Giant Pumpkin Contest on the East Coast that has been going on for years! Yoo hoo NE buds!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.