More Pupdates

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Just starting a new thread as the other was getting long ... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/956348/

This photo is of Zeb sharing a cool drink with his brother over the Memorial weekend.

This message was edited Jul 12, 2009 8:02 AM

Thumbnail by wrightie
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Sigh- I might as well again reveal my naivete and stupid trust in others. I never go to the dog park and think about if my dog will be attacked viciously. Now she isn't a show dog, I'm sure I wouldn't want to chance even a nick if I were showing her. We've gone almost weekly for over a year. In over fifty trips I haven't seen blood drawn. There are dominance showdowns which usually end with one running back to mom and dad or the water bowl, which seems to be regarded as 'base'.. One time Addy and a male golden got to a point where neither would back down. (hackles and teeth) It took a few minutes for the other owner and me to separate them. She as about one year. I think she felt big enough to challenge the domination she'd gotten before that. Thats the only time it has gotten to that point. I avoided that time of day and dog.. We are pretty proactive about calling her to us if we think there's any sign of getting too frisky.

I'm not trying to persuade anybody that they should go. It's kind of fun for us.

So did somebody say NEW FUR FRIEND?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Glad to hear that you haven't had any bad experiences, Sally! I've been frightened off by stories that I've heard from others. Also, my last Dane was jumped from behind by a Lab when we were at a park (not a 'dog park, just a park park) - my Sophie was on a lead and the Lab' was not. Sophie defended herself, put his entire head in her mouth, but didn't give him everything that she could have. She just held him, which is what Danes generally do. She drew a small amount of blood from his ear, we got them separated, and then the owner gave ME a hard time about the incident. My Sophie was never the same around other dogs after that.

I think that it's a side effect of having a very large breed ... people have a tendency to look the other way when small(er) dogs behave badly and they place blame on the larger dog. It doesn't quite work that way in the canine world though - a threat is a threat, regardless of the size. Whether I'm showing the dog in conformation or not, I'm still a bit skeeved out by public dog parks -- wish I wasn't because I know that lots of dogs have a blast at them!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing photos of the new addition, too. ;)

SO TRUE that common people judge the dog by breed more so than by actual behavior, a point I heard Cesar make. Some People get a bit freeked out when Addy (once in a while, herding) puts her mouth on the back of their dog's neck--so I assure them she does that daily to our CAT and has never hurt him. But her being a GS I have to be sensitive to the fear.
Just yesterday she met a new dog (pointer) who wanted her to chase him, after good run when she wanted to quit, he barked "keep going!!" , and she came to us for protection. So she's not all dominant. being dog newbies we feel its good for us to expose her to diff situations, closely supervised.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

What a CoinKiDink ... While looking for something else, I just stumbled upon an article about Dog Park Etiquette at the Whole Dog Journal ... http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/sample/dog-park-etiquette.html

;p

Good article Thanks for the LinkKiDink

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
Remove your dog’s leash as soon as you enter the off-leash area. Mixing on-leash and off-leash dogs can cause stress in the leashed dogs, which may lead to aggression.

Oops, I should have read the "etiquette rules" before taking Phoebe to the beach! LOL I was just nervous with her first trip to the ocean. She's been known to swim a little farther out in the river than I'm comfortable with and an early morning dip in the cold water of the bay to retrieve her wasn't my idea of fun that morning! Fortunately all the dogs here were very friendly :)

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Now....time for the introduction of our "new fur friend" :) We've been looking for several months for a new companion for Phoebe. It's been awhile since we've had two dogs but Phoebe loves playing with other dogs and we thought a new roommate would keep her busy and help her finally slim down. We were really hoping for another rescue pup but just couldn't find the right "match". These puppies were advertised in the local paper around the first of June but the timing was bad with my trip to Maine. The advertisement appeared again in last Wednesday's paper and we immediately made arrangements to check them out Wednesday evening. Both the mother (Australian Shepherd) and father (Border Collie) were beautiful dogs, the puppies were irrestible and by 6:00 PM we were the proud owners of this little sweetheart....Lucy :) It was a toss up between her and a handsome tri-color male. However, with all the commotion - six puppies frantically seeking our attention as well as Phoebe's, Lucy promptly planted herself in front of Rick for a petting and stole his heart :) After selecting these two and watching their interaction with Phoebe I quickly realized that the male had WAY too much energy and Lucy had the calm personality we were looking for! We had to wait until Saturday to pick her up because we had already planned a quick trip to North Carolina the next day and a new puppy wasn't in the plan!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

It's tough to get the two of them to slow down long enough for a photo!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Let's see if Rick can get them to sit long enough for a good pic!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Lucy is cute!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Finally! She's adjusting to her new home very well :) Saturday was her first night away from her brothers and sisters and I woke up to find Lucy, Phoebe AND Lucky all sleeping comfortably on the bed with us! After being raised in an outdoor kennel she probably thought she had died and gone to heaven! LOL

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks onewish :) She sure is a little sweetheart! It's been a long time since we've introduced a new member to our family and I'm making sure Phoebe gets lots of extra hugs and attention so she won't feel left out - she'll always be my 'Sweet P' :)

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

glad they are getting along... little Riley is back visiting us this week... always too much fun

Oh, didn't you know that mix is an official breed. Dorable.
Yep, Lucy is a Dorable.

har har Seriously that is sweet. I'm sure they'll have tons of fun.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh puppies are so cute. Looks like it is a good match for Phoebe. Yep, those a Dorable's are nice dogs. LOL

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

HOW CUTE!!!!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Wrightie, I LOVE your photo! Is that really Zeb's brother?

Debbie, Lucy is adorable! What a sweet face and such pretty markings.

When Java was a little six week old puppy, I took her to the vet one day. This much bigger lab sized dog lunged at her and she barked at him. I mean she was smaller than his head. The idiot owner of the big dog starts ranting about my vicious pit bull. Yeah, right lady. I'm sure she has your dog terrorized.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Rcn, I LOVE LUCY! heh heh - she's totally adorable! It's great that you've got two to keep each other company. One day we'll do the same.

Hart, yes, that's Zeb's littermate. They had a play date up in NJ that weekend. Here's another one of them; it was taken after a full day of romping and they had finally taken a breather for a few minutes.

Thumbnail by wrightie
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That's a fabulous photo of the brother-buddies! How cool!

Debbie, how exciting -- a new pup! Phoebe will give her lessons in sweetness and deportment, I'm sure. ;-)

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Another great shot! XXXXs and OOOOs. LOL What a pretty boy Zeb's brother is too.

dittos, great pic. wrightie

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Randy took this one of Riley (yes he is back visiting) yesterday.. could he get any further up my butt??

Thumbnail by onewish1
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

And he's sticking his tongue out at Randy, how funny!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

yorkies have a thing with that... the tongue does not fit when relaxed

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

har har Sally ROFL :)

hart, had a similar incident when Phoebe was only 9 weeks old. She was attending the fall plant sale with us at Blandy and this couple comes walking by with a HUGE Bull Mastiff! I mean this woman was having all she could do to control that monster and he kept lunging at Phoebe. She kept protesting that her dog was real friendly and just a "baby" at heart - yeah right! I'm sure he was a wonderful dog in the right situation but if she couldn't control him a plant sale with crowds (and young children!) isn't the proper setting to show him off! It's a darn shame that Pit Bulls get such a bad rap. My oldest son was recently involved in a workshop at Dogtown in Utah. He had the opportunity to meet 18 of Michael Vicks' dogs who are now in the final process of being placed in permanent homes. Part of his training while he was there was working with three dogs, a German Shepherd, Border Collie and Pit Bull. When the weekend was over the Pit Bull was his favorite :)

wrightie, what a great shot of the brothers! Your photo should be on a calendar! We found out that Phoebe's vet took one of Lucy's litter mates - maybe the two of them will have a play date sometime soon!

LOL onewish, I'm not sure who is more smitten, Riley with you or you with Riley!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

maybe a tie.... he is just so much fun

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Hi all...I recently found this forum and thought I would introduce my gang...I see a lot of familiar faces here so hopefully I will feel right at home!

This is our senior Dane Sabrina at 10 1/2

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Our rescue Atticus...at 2 years

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Our pup Harper at 15 months and quite the handful!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Last but certainly not least our Bulldog Abby who will be 6 in November.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Well, it's about time, Ronnie! LOL! You know I love those babies of yours!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Aww thanks W. Smooches to Zeb!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

My constant companion and Holly's furry garden helper went for a walkabout on the 5th of July and never returned. She was 14-16 years old but never looked or acted like it. Since Holly's asthma has gotten worse and cat dander is only one of her allergens Bubbles will probably be the last. There is a very empty spot on the front steps when I go out to sit. I'm gonna' really miss her. Ric

This message was edited Jul 15, 2009 6:17 PM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Oh, no! Ric, Holly, I'm just devastated, and I know you must be also. I got to make friends with Bubbles at the RU this summer -- such a sweet, friendly little kitty!

*crossing fingers* that perhaps she's just hanging out in some neighbor's barn...

aw..I'm sorry too. about bubbles

Ronnie--"great": dogs !

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

So sad about Bubbles...keeping my fingers crossed she will find her way home.

Thank you Sally!

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

So sad about Bubbles, she was a sweet kitty, so glad I had a chance to meet her.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

It's doubtful that she will return, she doesn't go very far for very long. We've checked the roads and didn't find her. Just not sure she wasn't showing signs of anything but she was old. Our other old cat Sassy is blind and showing signs of age. We wouldn't have been surprised to have lost her to old age but Bubbles seemed so good. Ric particularly misses her. She would sit on his lap and sometimes take a nap with him. Just told little JR that she is missing and he is pretty upset. His mom told him she probably went to Kitty Heaven. Just so sad.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

so sorry to hear about Bubbles... hate hearing those things

Ronnie that is a whole lot of dog (or dogs) you have there!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.