Dahlias are blooming!

Santa Fe, NM

Let's see all the pretty dahlia pictures. I particularly like them because they are late bloomers here and it is exciting to see the new ones. They like the heat, too. Special thanks to Dahlianut for getting me interested in these very fun flowers!

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

Don't these look like Zingaro? I think I may have switched labels from Zingaro and Park Princess! We'll see what else comes up. I have them in pots.

Thumbnail by roybird
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Very prettiful roybird! My dahlias are stuck cuz it's been rainy and cloudy.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Gorgeous!!! Mine haven't started to bud yet, but it looks like soon!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Dahlianut it is not fair that your dahlias are stuck. If I knew to whom to direct a Formal Complaint, I would do so!

I am please to have discovered that those big honkin orange ones I shared the one picture of are opening more blooms, and it turns out the hummingbirds can feed there, I did not know! ;-)

This is that one from the back, only photo so far, but you can see it is about to be covered in open blooms!

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Santa Fe, NM

Dahlias really do put out a lot of flowers!

Santa Fe, NM

Poor Zingaro is getting crispy peats from the hot sun! That didn't happen last year. Guess it wasn't as sunny.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

OOps. I meant petals. Crispy petals. Here is a coppery something or other trying to get open.

Thumbnail by roybird
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think it's so cute when they send up a test petal roybird like a periscope ^_^

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

YIPPEE! SUN! 'Yvonne'

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Don Hill

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ferncliff Cameo

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Cheerful stripey mignons

Thumbnail by dahlianut
A Forgotten Place in, LA(Zone 8a)

Such pretty Dahlias!!! Wish I had some...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks Cynni_G ^_^ 'Nuit D'ete'

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Mango Sunset

Thumbnail by dahlianut

I had a beautiful yellow and white but it died. Probably from lack of rain. They just didn't come back this year. I will get some and try them in a pot.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

They should winter over for you for sure Cynni_G in your zone but yes if the tubers dry out they are goners sigh. 'Taratahi Ruby' Horrible pic but my camera doesn't do red sigh. Outstanding waterlily dahlia though.

Thumbnail by dahlianut

Makes me want to get some and plant them now..

My camera doesn't do reds either ...makes the red lighter than it is but still a beautiful dahlia...

This message was edited Jul 17, 2009 7:34 PM

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow, wow, wow!!! Stunning! My very first ever dahlias are making buds and almost ready to start opening, I'm so excited! However, my biggest one was beaten by the wind badly today, but I think it's okay. Good strong dahlias...

Santa Fe, NM

So beautiful! I love "Yvonne". I remember "Mango Sunset" from last year. It sounds like a refreshing beverage.

Santa Fe, NM

This is the Dahlia asteroid!

Thumbnail by roybird
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

That is stunning! How did you get that shot? (no stem... looks like it is floating!)

Santa Fe, NM

I had the dahlia in a vase propped up on the wood pile in front of the blue wall. I took out the vase with the clone stamp tool in Photoshop Elements and changed the lighting a little bit by lightening the shadow. Playing around. I took several pictures of that dahlia for that purpose. This was the original photo. They are just jpegs so will lose pixels in the editing process. I will probably not be able to blow this up in to a bill board size. Dang.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

Gosh, now I wonder if that Was the original! But, you get the idea. This is it. Sorry. What started all this was that the dahlia was growing with it's head tilted down and I couldn't get a good shot.

Thumbnail by roybird
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

No billboard mebbe, but great T shirt material!

Love the colors..... someone could paint in a teeny dragon landing on t he asteroid, just for scale.......... ;-)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I VOTE FOR DAHLIA ASTEROID! Very cool editing Roybird!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Awesome, and it would make an excellent T-shirt!

Santa Fe, NM

Too bad it's just a jpeg. Wonder if zazzle or some other company can work with it? Mulch, what was the company you like? Could be fun.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Beautiful dahlias, all. I have a few small ones that I will try to photograph once my life settles down.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I wonder who should definitely MUST have this dahlia? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/164754/

ps I will be visiting Pooch this summer so I can ask for a tuber for the person who should definitely MUST have this dahlia.

This message was edited Jul 29, 2009 11:30 AM

Santa Fe, NM

I can't imagine.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Stunning!!! My dahlias are starting to open...

open,open,open!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.