Tuberoses

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I brought mine inside when it got cold, and they're looking green & perky, but no sign of a bloom.

However, Eliot (kitty) is chomping some of the leaf tips... are tuberoses toxic?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Plantfiles didn't say anything about being toxic. I didn't do a google search yet

Darla

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Darla! So far, he seems to be fine... and he's not ingesting much, if any, just munching a lot of holes in the ends of the leaves LOL.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

http://www.midtownanimalclinic.com/poisonous%20plants.htm
"Minor toxicity"

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Chantell!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

I THINK the Mexicans have used them for cooking and medicine...but not total sure. When I distill the flowers, I take micro sips of the 'water'...I'm still walking around. :)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

ooh, the scent of distilled tuberoses... I can't imagine having enough of the blooms to distill, LOL, since I still haven't managed to get my first bloom!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

I dug one up and brought it in front of a sunny window, plus giving it supplimental lighting on gray days....flower stalk up 10 inches! Thanksgiving here we come!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Maybe that's what I should do...just bring the whole pot in (time to any way) and continue watering instead of letting it go dormant!!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ok you all i have two place where I planted Tuberroses in the ground but after the intial blooming a year ago I ahv enot seen anymore bloom stalks. Do these do better in a pot?

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Marie,
mine did not rebloom in a pot.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi Usha!! Mine are not reblooming in the ground maybe they only bloom once and then they are done. Well that or they are just plain stubborn!!!

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

they are supposed to rebloom--they used to do in india.
I am trying to figure out what the 'trick' is !!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Well maybe you can have a talk with mine when you are over this weekend. PLease tell them what they are supposed to do!!

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hmm. My own kid does not listen to me. Why would they listen to me??

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I do not know but they sure are not listening to me!!!

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I will bring newspaper :)

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

You going to make them read it??:o)

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

no silly. I will give 'newspaper treatment'.

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

LOL!! I am blonde you know :o)

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

If I didn't have black hair, I would be using the same excuse :)

Blonde isn't necessarily a hair color its a state of mind! ^_^

Darla

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Is that like a red-head is a blonde with attitude type of thing? LOL

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

My indoor Tuberose has been blooming happily up the flower stalk. :) Each evening I have a bloom, I pick it and put it in a little jojoba oil so I can make a skin oil with it.

I've got 2 blooms up and starting to bloom outside.

Darla

Never thought about bringing them inside.

Darla

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

right now, that's where my nose is! ( but where you are, you don't need to!)

Bolingbrook, IL

I have been growing theses outside in pots for 7 years, with fantastic resullts.
This is the first year that I haven't had blooms, and noticed my Brugs have not bloomed once either......?????.

Bloom booster is a must!

I have been really busy this summer with assisting an ailing family member, and unfortunately the garden has not been tended to as I usually would. I have always used Bloom Booster at least once a week on my flowering plants. This summer I think I only used it maybe twice a month....if even that.

I live in the western suburbs of Chicago, and put them in the basement each fall.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Oh I agree...taking the time to add whatever fert is your favorite makes all the diff

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Glad I found this thread mine haven't bloomed yet, I have them outside in full sun in individual pots.

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I just bought the rhyzomes this spring at a plant fair. I planted several in a big pot, then a few weeks later put the rest in the ground. The ones in the ground have already bloomed, 3 spikes, while the ones in the pot just now has 1 spike coming up. I am in zone 7b, and don't know if I should dig them, bring the pots in or leave them in the ground and leave the pots outside. The ones in the pots seem to have some kind of powdery mildew or something on them, as the leaves aren't as green as the ones I put in the ground.
OK, another question. Does each root only send up one spike? What do you do after all the flowers die off the stalk? Leave it or cut it off. Will they bloom again? I have 2 pots that are in afternoon sun, one more than the other. The ones in the ground get dappled sun all through the day. Depending upon where the sun is, sometimes gets some afternoon sun.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Have to bring them in unless you're in zone 8a or higher. Depends on what variety you have may have more than 1 stem, cut the stalk after flowering like you would any other type of bulb

Thank you!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

You're welcome☺

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

Interesting that you planted yours in both pots and the ground, Crit. The first year I grew tuberoses I planted them in the ground. I think they bloomed in early August. Last summer and this summer I planted them in a pot, the reason being so I could move them around and smell them more, but they bloomed really late. I have just one stalk and it's finally about to open. So they seem to do better in the ground.

Mine didn't thrive in the ground at my house. I had to pull them out and put them in a pot just to save there lives! lol My soil is mostly sand and they didn't like that maybe in a year or 2 I'll be able to put some in the ground

Darla

That's odd Darla. Mine in the ground are in a sandy soil and going like gangbusters. I had 5 spikes in the little patch ..... it's about 2x2 with 5 tubers in it by the walkout from my deck. Ohhhhhhh, they smelled so good. Wish they would bloom again. I may of planted too many in the pot. I just now have 1 spike coming up. It isn't even opened yet and I can smell the sweetness when I walk by. It's just beginning to open. I have another pot that just has 1 in it, and it isn't doing anything either. The folks that I got it from at our annual street plant sale, had one they had dug up and brought that weighed 12#. It was huge.
Can anyone answer my ?'s about the powdery mildew, or idea why the ones in the pots are grayish?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Crit - I've not had that issue - hopefully someone else will chime in

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

No idea

Mine still have not bloomed...this is today

Thumbnail by flowAjen
Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Sheesh....least you have a spike...not sure mine have even sent that up...may have missed out this year...ugh

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.