Tuberoses

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I planted some bulbs this year and now the blooms are opening up and the smell is heavenly! Its to dark to take a picture, but in the morning I'll go out and snap some.

Darla

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

They are amazing...aren't they?!? Lucky you...we dont' get blooms up here till Aug/Sept...I probably should put them out sooner in the year but I"m always hesitant with our "iffy" spring temps...

Dahlonega, GA

Mine won't bloom . have divided , what else to do ? digger

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I didn't think they bloomed before Aug in your zone, digger??? Tried using some bloom booster?

Dahlonega, GA

I can try that ,C . Mine are six yrs old and only bloomed the first year , in shade . I've divided and used sun , shade . Nothing . The scent is amazing . D

Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

Do you dig your bulbs every Yr.? I think we should to get blooms.My tubroses wintered in the ground, and no bloom spikes yet. Mike

I only put them in this year so I have no idea

Darla

I would think that Jacksonville it would be OK to winter in the ground.
We can have a 6" freeze. Mike

How deep are they supposed to be planted. They didn't come with instructions.

Darla

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm embarrassed to say that I never pay attention...I fill the hole/pot with soil over 1/2 the way....then put the clusters pointy sides up then dump soil till they're covered and then a little....sooooo helpful, aren't I? According to a google search most sites are suggesting 2" deep. So I guess my guessing was correct for a change...LOL

I think that is close to what I planted them at. They grew at any rate! lol

Darla

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

I planted my tuberoses in pots this year, the idea being that way I could move them to a table top so I could enjoy the fragrance when they bloomed. The first pot is very crowded with too many leaves and has not bloomed. The second pot, planted a few weeks after the first, just now has a flower spike. I grew them in the ground last summer and didn't remember them being so late, but as everyone above has said, I guess they are late bloomers.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

This year I am finally getting flower stalks after NOT, for sveral years...last winter they were dug up and over wintered in a frost free location...?
Usually they are late for me too.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

the farmers on the square who sell them in droves say the doubles are too difficult to mess with...which is what i'm trying to grow.

Dahlonega, GA

Whatever I have , they are still just sitting there and laughing at me . digger

I pulled mine up out of the ground about 3-4 weeks ago. they didn't look like they were doing to well. I put them into 2 big pots and they look better. They have even put out flower spikes.

Darla

Dahlonega, GA

That's an idea . Wonder if they can do the winter outside? Did you do the whole cluster in one piece ? I know they will be ok in the ground , but wonder about a big pot . zone 7-A

This is my first year at trying them. I put them in in the spring and when I pulled them up about a month ago there were lots of tiny bulbs already.

Darla

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I tried some this year (from Bill at Caladiums4Less, got gorgeous big clumps from him), but I have only had leaves, no flowers. They're in a pot in full sun. I think I have a clump of tuberose in another pot (passalong plant) also that has never bloomed (it overwinters inside). They must need something I'm not giving them -- maybe some bloom booster fertilizer?

Dahlonega, GA

I'll try whatever it takes . the scent is awsome . When I first planted a single blub , in the shade , I got a single stalk with blooms just starting and the d - - - cat bent it over . seven yrs ago . I have blind hope . Is Joyanna in her sling , critter ? digger

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes Jill...give em' some bloom booster - esp in Aug and Sept...which reminds me....ugh...I haven't yet

Dahlonega, GA

Hi , chantell , my MOO 's are getting ready to make the trip to Tex along with other tropicals . How large are they gonna get ? digger

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

So, if I fertilize them & bring them inside, will they bloom during the winter? Or will it be a "next summer" sort of thing?

(Yes, Joyanna is in her sling... letting me type with both hands and talk to her while she tries to climb my shoulder... I don't knwo where she thinks she's trying to go, LOL, but she's quite determined!)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

I can't remember where or when (but it certainly stuck in my head!) that someone's mom used to plant them 'at the right time' and bring them along so that she could bring them inside, blooming, for Thanksgiving!

I am convinced they bloom way better if they don't get down below freezing in the winter. I am no expert but they Are natives of Mexico.
that's my measly two pennies.

I didn't know that, Mexico huh?!

Darla

Dahlonega, GA

I've dug several clumps to bring in . Put them back out in early spring , still nothing . digger

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

My "test" bunch that I left IN the ground never came back...so the rest get brought in and taken back out...they're easy to over winter. I have no spikes yet though...course as I said, I've neglected to do the fert that I should've ...ugh!!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

it looks like i may have 2-3 stalks per plant. i don't know why they wait so late in the season. perhaps i will dig one up and bring it indoors to see how long it will last. how far to thanksgiving?

Here is my next spike that will be blooming soon.

Thumbnail by Darlacooper
Dahlonega, GA

I am soooooo jealous , and I want your chair too . digger

Duxbury, MA(Zone 7a)

I noticed my one bloom stalk lying down like Darla's. I guess they need staking.

I have a mess that looks like they need seperating.I am going to use Chantell's idea, of bloom booster, and then in Nov. will dig, and seperate, then place under the crawl space of the house packed in pine needles.
I remember a neighbor in Z7, in N.C., when I was a kid that dug his every year,like gladiolias, and packet them in straw, and plased them in a non heated barn. I am open to any sugestions that know more than I. Mike

I don't know what you are supposed to do with them. lol This is my first attempt at growing. So I hope someone tells me what I should do. I was just going to leave them in the pot and perhaps put them in the garage for the winter.

Darla

Funny how they will freeze in a pot, but dug, and strawed down, they come back in late spring, when replanted.

I do wish someone who knows would "jump" in here.
Mike

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Mike - I can't speak based on first hand knowledge...I actually dig mine bring em in - throw them in a brown bag with shredded paper...mist em a bit when I remember (read rarely) and they sit in my closet or basement all winter. How's that for a scientific approach? Re staking....never done it...they've stayed upright except those that....well didn't "make" it...

You sound right on the tubrose, Chantell.That is more what I remember.Will be giving my two clumps some "bloom booster" soon.(Hope its not too late.) Mike

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Probably too late for mine this year...but you're a tad warmer so you might be able to get them to "do their thing" - we just need to remind each other next year to start sooner w/the fert probably... ^_^

Greensboro, NC(Zone 8a)

I just dug my second one up to move inside; the flower stalk is just showing so it will be a while. Will have to give it extra light. I'm going for that Thanksgiving bloom!

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

thank you darla for starting this thread.
Mine bloomed the first year only. Now they have been in a pot on my patio in AZ and don't do anything. May be I should put them in the ground.

Mine started in the ground and didn't look very well. They did bloom so I decided to move them to a pot. They look much better and the have continued to bloom.

Darla

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.