New pics from Dolores, Colorado!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Time for a few new pics, and this time I'll post here and encourage my SW Gardening Forum friends over this way...

Gotta start with giving DH Tony credit on his veggie garden. He has planted tomatoes, scarlet emporer beans, sugar snap peas, rhubarb, squash, radishes. several lettuces and spinach, chives, cucumbers, fava beans, and parsnips... not to mention the potato patch (recent pics can be found at the end of this thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1001239/

Here are some pics of the veggie garden...

Thumbnail by bsavage
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Scarlett emperor beans... will take a new pic tomorrow, they are starting to bloom!

Thumbnail by bsavage
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

First bloom on squash!

Thumbnail by bsavage
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Yummy lettuces... we've already enjoyed some of these!

Thumbnail by bsavage
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Gratuitous pet pic, this is my Rossi girl looking over the balcony...

Thumbnail by bsavage
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

This is the begining of the new conifer and heather bed (quite british, don't you know) that DH has been intent on building... he cut out all of the sod, pick axed the dirt, more pics to come...

Thumbnail by bsavage
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

The rocks (that Tony has gathered from the vacant lot behind us) are starting to be "planted" here, he is (correctly) adamant that they shouldn't look like they were just dumped off a truck and left to lie in the middle of the garden...

This message was edited Jul 3, 2009 8:58 PM

Thumbnail by bsavage
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

That very big rock proved a worthy adversary, it fought Tony all the way, probably weighs about 500 lbs., it was drug into the driveway by a friend (with his big a$$ truck) after Tony found it, then the issue was getting it into it's spot in the bed. First attempt, Tony went face first into the big rock (which he now calls "Rocky Balboa") when his feet slipped while his hands and legs were trying to roll it, Rocky stopped dead, Tony's hands caught underneath it, face-plant into the rock.

This message was edited Jul 3, 2009 10:54 PM

Thumbnail by bsavage
Phoenix, AZ

Hopefully I'll get to see it in person next week! I know you're probably not driving. I can probably get my brother to bring me over :)

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I AM driving, and off crutches, ha ha!!!!! Hooray for quick healing!!!

Phoenix, AZ

Oh! Goody! Four Seasons here I come!!!!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I still have my big boot, but it's walkable.

So, next time Tony tries to move it, he has a big pry bar, and gets it lifted, only to have the pry bar also skid on the gravel, and the whole thing comes down on his foot.

WARNING: Tony's feet are not pretty, and even less so after huge rock crushing incident... but he's already posted the picture on his blog, so here goes...

Thumbnail by bsavage
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Let me know when, I'll be there with boot on! (I crack myself up!)

Here is the bed planted with conifers and heathers... we're going to add a red mulch on top, plant daffodil, iris, and tulip bulbs for spring color, and I'm going to try the Flanders Poppy seeds in there now...

Thumbnail by bsavage
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Here is the infamous "boot", as my husband makes me feel like I'm living on a reality show... he's always taking pictures, crikey!

Thumbnail by bsavage
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Gratuitous hummingbird photo... taken from the window of our motorhome (while parked!)...

That's all for now.

Thumbnail by bsavage
Phoenix, AZ

Tell Tony to just leave the killer boulder alone!
I'm thinking Thursday a.m. I leave Thursday around 5:00. I'll Talk to you more tomorrow :)

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Sounds good to me Fishie...

Coloraodo envy!!!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

British or not, that new bed is looking great Brenda. Love the rock placement but poor Tony, blood sweat and tears :(

Nice toes dear :)

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL!

Phoenix, AZ

Brenda, what a story! Tony may call that rock "Rocky Balboa" but I think she looks like Mae West. I'm so glad it's finally in place; otherwise, between the two of you, you might have just two good feet! I can't begin to tell you how much I'd love to see your place in person but I think I'm stuck here for the whole gol-danged summer. Either I'm in school, the MOTH's in school (different times, of course) or somebody's breaking something. Does "crikey" mean "what the....????"

P.S. Love your hummer pic! So beautiful.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Interjection

crikey

Used as an exclamation of astonishment, or as an emphasis of fact at the conclusion of a statement.
Crikey, thats a big one!

(from wikipedia)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Great looking rocks and potatoes and animal shots! Your poor DH's foot and fingers. Good thing your injuries are healing, though. Good thing. At least one person in the family needs to be able to get around.
I am jealous of your veggies. We are a one gardener household and my rosebushes -- at least some of them, got planted but so far no veggies. But I will still be growing the cool weather crops for the fall and probably the cherry tomatoes still in their nursery containers out front.
The summer has been filled up with 3 surgeries for DH ( 2 cataracts, 1 hip replacement coming up), fall and broken bones for MIL, age 89, she is doing pretty well, all things considered, and search for companion dog for Raja. She is lonely. We found one but want to look at another before we decide.

This message was edited Jul 4, 2009 4:43 PM

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I love "crikey". Kind of reminds me of "Sacre Bleu!"

;-)

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Sacre bleu! That is a lot of surgeries, Paja! As for the dog, you will absolutely know when it is right, because you won't be able to leave it behind. And, it will choose you (have I said this before a million times?). Kyla... thanks for the new "interjection"!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I haven't met the right dog yet, but I saw her picture on Petfinder.com. She is very pretty, a husky mix like Raja, but black and white. The rescue lady and I will meet in Albuquerque on Tuesday. I may come home with a dog! I found another that Raja liked -- but it is hard to find a dog that Raja doesn't like. It is more of a problem to find a dog that isn't afraid of Raja's rambunctious behavior. This one wasn't. It was a sweet dog but it wasn't quite "it" for me.
I seem to be in love with huskies ever since I first saw Raja. That is terrible self destruction -- they are willful and stubborn beyond belief, but also loving and sweet -- wouldn't hurt a flea. But don't expect them to come when called! Also, just write off a sofa for training purposes. Raja has devoured one of ours. We will get another once the new dog is trained.

Santa Fe, NM

Love seeing the vegetable garden and the heather and conifer garden, Bsavage. Well done! Your poor D.H. is having quite a time with those rocks. Glad you are on the mend, both of you.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Roybird! Good luck on Tuesday, Paja!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I will be interested to see if you get any fava beans. They are so hard to get fresh. It would be lovely if one could grow them successfully in our climate. I will also be interested in hearing whether you are able to get sweet potatoes or not. They tend to be iffy in our climate.
Yesterday after planting the last rose in the front yard, I decided to plant other plants to surround them. I discovered that the only soil deep enough for most plants was in the holes for the roses. This will be a rose and rock garden, it turns out -- unless I hire someone to chip some more holes in the rock for me.
Luckily I still have a lot of rock garden plants from the Denver Botanic Garden sale. They will have a home in my garden!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I'll keep you updated on the fava beans and sweet potatoes. I just discovered a new rock garden favorite plant, cinquefoil. It has little yellow flowers, they told me at the nursery that I could take them out of their pots, cut thr root ball from the bottom upward, separate the plants, and basically lay their roots on the rocks and lightly cover with other rocks. I didn't really believe it, but I tried it, and they are very happy! Amazing! Perfect for growing at the base of my potted garden where I cannot dig.

I don't have a pic yet, but here's a link to plantfiles... not sure if mine is the same variety.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Cinquefoil is a common wildflower around here. I hadn't thought about using it in the rock garden, but it sounds very adaptable! Will have to locate some. They probably have some at Plants of the Southwest. I like rock garden plants so this whole thing isn't a tragedy, just a change of plans. This is why it is so hard for me to plan. It will not be what I visualized, but I think it will be very nice. Where I was able to make a small hole, I mixed the soil there with compost andI put in a lavender datura. It is an annual here, but it might look nice. I will be doing lots of experimenting.

Santa Fe, NM

I saw a person selling fava beans at the farmer's market yesterday. So, they do grow somewhere around here. My roses tend to have all manner of things growing under them including campanula, culinary sage, violets, onions, garlic chives and more! They are not picky. We had a big rain this morning and got maybe almost an inch of water! It was rather amazing. I was glad I had never gotten around to moving the sandbags from around the east side of the studio. So far, no flooding. Wild flowers at Frenchy's Field.

Thumbnail by roybird
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I love to see Frenchie's Field. It often looks nice. It is a public open space that is really used and enjoyed. Your picture of the flowers is lovely.

I am going to plant a mixture of annuals and perennials under my roses. In the spring, I will fill in more perennials where the annuals were -- unless I fall in love with the annuals, in which case I will replace them with more of same. I will definitely be using lots of sedums and supervivums and other rock garden plants.

We got over an inch of rain here this afternoon. It was amazing! Everything looks so "turgid" as they used to say in biology class. A word not often used in polite society. Anyhow, my plants look happy and we didn't even get much hail.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Sounds lovely, Paja!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Luvly pics dear Brenda. Your 'boot' looks like Santa's boot. Glad to hear your mobile!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks, DN! I'm motoring around pretty well now!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Brenda I once dropped an antique Queen Anne's chair on my foot when me and Birdies the Bulbous Queen were muscling it up the drive. WOWZER feets hurts seem to go on for ever and ever and ever. Hope Tony Toenails feets hurt heals up quick too! ps Birdies the Bulbous Queen is coming to visit me on Friday ^_^ I have been everso missing her since she moved so I'm so excited I can't stand it!!!!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Hooray for your visit from your friend Birdies... I also have my friend Fish_Knees (from the SW Gardening forum) coming to visit on Wednesday, like you, I am very excited to visit with my friend that I haven't seen in a long time.

Tony, Mr. Toughguy, literally hasn't missed a step since his mishap. It gets sore at the end of the day sometimes, but it (and he) are doing very well.

p.s. my dahlias are getting BIG! I'm hoping I see buds soon!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I am always everso keen to hear about/see others dahlias. 'Pink Attraction', not quite open so you can't see her blonde centre but I will pounce on any excuse to show my dahlias.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Lovely, dahlia! or should I say lovely dahlia! Both are true. I had a nice small one in a flower pot but today we had a major hail storm which shredded all the flowers in bloom Thank goodness I took pictures yesterday. I was in Santa Fe until about 6:30 pm. The hail had come at 1:00 but there was still hail in piles all over my yard. Every tree and flower in town was shredded. DH's brand new car has hail dents!
Still, as far as I can tell my plants are all fine long term wise and we did get 3/4 inch of rain which we need. The trees will grow new leaves.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.