My Morning Glory Adventures continued.. July

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

15 ft pole and no place to go now.. the tree in the back ground is the neighbors.. it is very tall

Thumbnail by joeswife

double peach hibiscus from last years' overwintering

Thumbnail by joeswife

This is a giant 4ft tall cosmos this am.. I am saving seeds from this one too...

Thumbnail by joeswife

My first red marigolds in trio, from seeds last year.. I sent alot of these out to alot of DGr's

Thumbnail by joeswife

my camera was out of battery power.. but this is an okay picture anyway this am.. have no clue as to what it is..it was hiding under a leaf in the B&B salvia

Thumbnail by joeswife
East Bridgewater, MA

Debra,
The insect is called a "Hummingbird Clearwing Moth" because the moth bats its wings very quickly, like a hummingbird...but it's a large moth. Up in my area it is sometimes referred to as a "Mexican Hummingbird Moth."

On Wikipedia.org, you can read about it by entering in the search box: Hemaris thysbe

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Yep! Definitely a Clearwing Moth. Great shot, Debra! :-)

I love your Giant green/white Zinnia! That's a really pretty bloom! :-)

Is this the Chinese evening glory grown from seeds that was sold on ebay? If so, I am impressed you got blooms! What is your secret? My vine is quite large now, but not a single bud yet!

Your Hanafubuki photo ("same bloom with flash") is BEAUTIFUL!!! Great photo, Debra!

That is soooo funny that your I.Lind and I. Albevenia took a road trip with you! LOL! Sorry to hear despite all that, they still didn't bloom during that time for you! I guess they have a mind of their own!

Boston, thanks so much for the ID... this one is very cool.. a few shots this am, late to work again, good thing no one was waiting for me..

Thumbnail by joeswife

this mix from Liz, Karen and Ronnie..

Thumbnail by joeswife

My MIko no Mai from seed package

Thumbnail by joeswife

I just did NOT want to come to work today, it is 65, cool, and looks like rain is on the way..
These are from Joseph , aren't they gorgeous?

Thumbnail by joeswife

can't resist this closeup.. wish it were open more.. well, it prolly is, I am just AT WORK. and can't see it ... Bleah..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Beautiful close-up shot, Debra! Those colors on the blooms really stand out against the dark green foliage! Nice, nice, nice! :-)

My noid pinks are so pretty this am, well... everything is so pretty.. y'all have a great day!
Rebecca, south fence

Thumbnail by joeswife

mornin everyone, last night when I got home from work, I found these two blooms Still Open! all I can think if is that the "lions' Main" yarn is retaining moisture and keeping the stem and base of sepals moist in the heat of the day, also, I had my "chinese evening glory" ID'd as Ipomoea nil "Kawaii"
Which is cool since I now know what it really is! It must be because of the shade that mine open up in the evening...
here are those blooms open at 8:30 pm last night...

Thumbnail by joeswife

Also this photo here : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6829568

should have been this one

Thumbnail by joeswife

Just Went out to let Duke out and it is still open! I Love this flower..
here is a shot of a seed pod from the lavender moon vine bloom I posted earlier
and we are going to go to another thread

This message was edited Jul 18, 2009 8:35 AM

Thumbnail by joeswife

Debra - This shot - of what I am sure is Hanafubuki - is so pretty! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6833860 And I think that you may be on to something with the damp yarn. Perhaps you are right that it's what is keeping the vine from wilting. I know mine stay open in my window ALL day long because there is no direct sunlight shining on them. They get lots of indirect light, but not the scorching sun rays beating on them. And surprisingly, they continue to bloom for me. :-) And produce seed pods. Given the right conditions, maybe I. nils don't need direct sunlight? And maybe keeping them hydrated during the day also promotes the blooms to stay open longer. :-) Your vines look marvelous!

Thanks for stopping by my thread..
We are moving to here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1016874/

Feel free to share your pictures of your morning glorys ... especially if I am growing one that might have come from you.. it helps me alot.. ;D

Not focussed enough for me to keep, so I am deleting this one after I post it.. the colours were so contrast to each other.. in my south Patio Morning Glory corner .. climbing the tall pole..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.