Favorite Astilbe?

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Very beautiful, Cindy!!! Keep the photos coming!! What a lot of work you've done, and how wonderful your results!!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I've been lurking but coming out of hiding to comment on your stunning gardens! All your hard work is really paying off and I hope you'll show us photos next spring :) How do you keep your paths weed free? They're so neat and tidy, are they pea gravel? Looks like you've got a little "helper" in the last photo - cute! LOL

Thanks for the compliments. The garden wasn't in the best of shape when I snapped the photos last weekend. And since it's a shade garden, not a lot blooming this time of year. The plants are at their best in late spring, early summer. The summer heat (coming late) and dry spell have started to take their toll on the plants.
Yes, the paths are pea gravel and were put down almost 20 years ago. Does make it difficult to change the layout as I've come up with alternative ideas so I haven't attempted that. I think we put down 6 or 8 tons of the stuff. Actually, it wa dumped in our driveway and we had to cart it to the back yard. Then we built a chute down the stairs that DH had just made, shoveled it down the chute and hauled it around. We actually had neighborhood kids helping us all for the price of treats from DQ. Cheap! I do lightly rake the debris that falls on the paths and then at least once a year, do some heavy duty raking to redistribute and dislodge some of the dirt that collects.
And yes, the chipmunks have made a comeback this year. Haven't had a lot the previous couple of years but quite a few this year. I think they're attracted to the bird feeder. Didn't even notice him until after I posted the photo.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Yikes, 6-8 tons! I would love to use pea gravel on our paths. We have one shade garden with a slight slope and after a good rain the path is pretty "greasy"! I feel the same way about our shade gardens, they always look best in the late spring/early summer. I've been trying to incorporate bright golds and more variegation to give them a little more color through the summer :) After two summers of drought we've welcomed the cooler summer and rain this year, however the recent rise in temperatures have taken their toll on our gardens as well and I'm once again dragging the hoses! LOL

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

I've also been adding some lighter-leaved and variegated plants and many heucheras for color.
Cindy, my fall flowerers are blooming now. Great for later blooms in the shade are japanese anemone, aconitum and tricyrtis.

"Greasy" is a good description. I tend to be more clumsy than graceful and trying to "skate" uphill on wet clay was a challenge for me. Yeah, 6 to 8 tons. It was a good investment though as it's lasted a long time. There are several more paths down in the lower garden not shown in the photos so that amount covered a lot. I've added a bag or two on the steps and I'm always disappointed that 50# bags don't go very far.
Know exactly what you mean with incorporating color. I've relied on a lot of yellow and variegated Hostas and Sambucus (moving a variegated one today) while still trying to keep that area looking a little more "natural".
Sounds like we're in the same weather pattern although 2 zones apart. Cooler this coming weekend though - 70's. Yippee!

perenniallyme - you're ahead of me on fall blooms it seems. I had summer-blooming aconitums (white and blue) about 6 weeks ago. I've got Japanese anemones in a bed up in the yard. I tried digging up running plants once but have found they're a little tricky to move. Tricyrtis I have also up in the yard. Heucheras really add some color too but I've had issues with some of them dying out on me so haven't purchased any lately. That area doesn't get a lot of attention so I keep the fussier/costlier stuff up in the yard so I can keep any eye on it.

Cindy, my fall bloomers are way ahead of their usual bloom times this year, as were just about all of my blooms. As the Japanese anemones multiply so rapidly when they get established, and usually end up where you don't want them, I've learned how to transplant them. Easier when small, of course, and it often appears that they won't make it, but if you try to keep the soil around the root (not easy with a taproot) and pot them up for a bit, they usually recover. Just keep them well watered. They'll also recover if you transplant them directly and keep them watered, but it seems to take longer.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Cin - Still no list from the Toledo Botanical Gardens for you. But I WILL get it, I promise. I just came home from working out there and everbody was so busy - to busy to ask. They found nematodes in the hosta gardens. They're pretty upset. I had to disinfect my shoes and throw my garden gloves in the washer as soon as I got home. One of the plants that you probably have is Solomons Seal - Polygonatum commutatum. Also others I remembered today are the species Heuchera villosa, Wild Ginger - Asarum danadense and Bottle Gentian - Gentiana andrewsii. For spring ephemerals the Shooting Stars, Dodadecatheon are gorgeous. How about Podophyllum - Mayapple? Or Great Blue Lobelia - Lobelia siphilitica, which is in bloom now - one of my fall favorites for shade color in the late summer to fall.

Keep on going. What you have is a true treasure.

perenniallyme - My Anemone decides to send out underground runners right into the midst of other plants which makes it frustrating to untangle without doing harm to either plant. If I ever get up to the back garden, I'll take a look to see if there's a likely candidate.
Snapple - Don't worry about the list with a crisis on your hands. How do nematodes affect the Hostas and what do you do to get rid of them? I've never heard of a nematode/Hosta relationship but then I'm not that knowledgeable in the area of pests and diseases. I do have the variegated Solomon's seal - had to corral that a couple of weeks ago as it's wandered in several directions over the years. Also have mayapples - already here when we moved in so must be native to this area. My wild ginger has gone crazy in the lower garden - have it everywhere. I used to grow L. syphilitica and L. x gerardii years ago up in the yard and really like it. It would get so tall that the wind would blow it over. I might have to try that in the lower garden where it's more protected. I have Gentiana semtemfida but must not have it sited right. I'm down to one remaining plant that just sprawls and doesn't bloom. Does it need sun?
Pulled out huge clumps of Northern sea oats today. Wish it wasn't so prolific because I really like it. I have kept some but I've got to cut back on the amount of seedlings. Moved a variegated Sambucus to a better spot and moved some full grown Thalictrum rochebrunianum from the yard down to the lower garden as well. Love the flowers but it tends to drop it's leaves where it was at. And now it's going to rain so I'm happy.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Hi rcn! Nice to see you come out of your lurking cave! LOL

Cindy - Does your sambucus do better as a shade plant? Mine is in the sun. I think mine is Black Lace.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Hi Louise :) Yes, I've been lurking but have been busy this summer and I'm finally trying to catch up! I haven't even visited the NE Forum lately, I'll never catch up over there! LOL

WOW, Cindy, you don't slow down for a minute - those are some huge plants to move in this heat! We used to have a beautiful variegated Sambucus ('Madonna') but after DH gave it a severe pruning we lost it and I really miss it :( Re: the Heucheras, I've always planted them in the shade but since the newer H. villosa intros in the past few years I'm finding they really appreciate a dose of sun, either morning or afternoon only here! I think 'Citronelle' has got to be one of my favorites for the "glow" it adds to a dark spot in the gardens. It's not as fast a grower as 'Caramel' but after the second year it's definitely a keeper! Planted on a slope with Hostas and Hellebores...

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Planted last year on the other side of the driveway - disregard the signs, they were placed in the gardens for visitors in May :)

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

The bottom portion of that bed had bare spots which needed to be planted and I just finished a couple of weeks ago. We have a terrific problem when we have thunderstorms that create gully washers down the driveway and carve out the soil along that bed. So...I borrowed some rocks from other areas of the gardens to create a barrier and hopefully prevent it from happening again. We haven't had enough rain yet to "test" it but keeping my fingers crossed it works!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Foliar nematodes wreck hosta foliage and eventually kill the plant. It looks like extreme sun damage with yellowing, browning and holes. The hosta dies if not treated. For hosta nematodes the remedies are few. The recommendaton to a homeowner is to remove the infested hosta, with the soil, and all other hostas, whether infested or not, to within a six foot radius. Leave the area bare for two years. Then it's safe to replant. There are a couple of chemical controls available to licensed applicators only. The best ( questionable attribute) have been recently removed from the market due to toxicity. So the Gardens are grappling with choosing an effective control measure. There is some evidence that a regular program of spraying with with insecticdal soap or Zero-Tol can manage the pest but not completely eradicate it. Zero-tol would be my choice. It's peroxyacetic acid, a form of hydrogen peroxide. Safe to use and of low toxicity. It's hard for a homeowner to get but it is registered for use for homeowners. Zero-Tol has shown a 70% kill rate of nematodes on foliage and about 70% of soil nematodes.

The best strategy for a homewoner would be to remove the infested hosta along with the soil. Then treat the surrounding healthy hostas with Zero-Tol. Spray the leaves and drench the soil. Do this regularly right up until the ground freezes. Nematode damage doesn't show up until late summer or early fall. Cross your fingers. Buy hostas from better garden centers or companies with good ratings here on the Garden Watchdog. Nematodes are usually spread by infected nursery stock.

DonnieBrook - Sambucus 'Alba Variegata' has been in the lower garden for years but it's never had enough moisture (or sunlight) to bloom but that's ok since it was the foliage that first attracted me. It brings the foliage interest up higher than ground-level Hostas. It was in a bad spot though, subject to wheelbarrow traffic, damaging branches. It does suffer some die-back every winter but I prune it in the spring once I see where the die-back occurs and it recovers rapidly from the pruning. I have done a few cuttings from it and one resides in the back of a bed up in the yard and is bigger with the better soil but still no flowers. I'm trying 'Sutherland Gold' this year and like the lacier foliage on it. I've craved 'Black Lace' but was thinking that it needed more sun (at a premium here) to bring out the color.
rcn - Love the driveway plantings! Everything looks so neat and tidy. What is that small tree next to the red Japanese maple? Great idea with the rocks. In the lower garden I use any large tree branches that fall to create little dams on the slopes to slow down the water and erosion. It works ok down there since it's a very casual space (and since I don't have the stamina to haul rocks down there).
Snapple - I never knew. What a devastating condition. And it can't be easy to treat with the spray either, given the nature of Hostas with all of their leaves. How can you tell the difference between nematode damage and foliar damage that is just common with some Hostas (ie sun scorching, etc)? Sounds like all of the volunteers will have their hands full with on-going spraying.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

No volunteer will spray anything in the gardens themselves. Only a few of us can use any chemicals and it is limited to single plant or flat applications in the greenhouses. It's too risky. It isn't easy at first glance to spot nematode damage. The damage always occurs between the veins. Even with a horticulturalist at my side yesterday showing me it took a bit to be able to differentiate it from the usual yellowing or crisping of leaves that all hostas sometimes exhibit. A dead, brown wedged shaped streak between the veins is a sure indication. Yellowing happens first and is harder to spot.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/projects/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/p151nematodesfoliar.html

Cindy, which aconitums are summer blooming?
The japanese anemone can be a pain with their underground spreading, but they're gorgeous enough that I forgive them.
My gentiana septemfida has lots of blooms right now in part sun, but it is very sprawly, and might appreciate more sun if it could have it. If you're behind me in blooming time, yours just might bloom soon.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Cindy - I appreciate your thoughts on the sambucas! If my Black Lace ever gets really established, I'll try to get you a cutting. The plant was expensive (used a birthday present gift card to get it), and I remember Victor saying his was a disappointment to him, but still loved the look and it has grown a bit this year (its second year). I usually give something 3 years before I judge it adversely. I'm not generally a fan of dark plants, but this one just has such an interesting look to it.

rcn - Wow! You have done so much in a short time with your gardens. They are stunning! I have been wanting to try my hand at growing some heucheras to take the place of having to lug my coleus back and forth between Florida and NH. I do love that Citronelle for its color...it really pops, doesn't it? I also like the bright oranges, like Georgia Peach, etc. Great job with your gardens!!

I have some older Hostas - 'August Moon' and 'Frances Williams' that seem to start off the season with scorch marks and eventually holes. Don't you think it's doubtful that it's the spring sun? They do get some sun in spring before all of the trees leaf out. Will definitely check out that link.
Aconitum napellus is a summer-bloomer. I have 'Royal Blue' and 'Ivorine'. I keep them in the lower garden away from kids. Sounds like I need to move my Gentiana to a sunnier spot. I'll have to go hunting tomorrow for a spot.
I know 'Black Lace' is expensive and to keep it in sun, I have limited space. Hmmm, what to throw out... I love the dark plants in combo with the chartreuse and peachy colored foliages. Heucheras a good combo with that. I'm starting to obsess.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Sun damage on hostas is different from nematode damage. You can learn to differentiate it with just a little practice. Left unchecked it kills the plant so if your hostas are returning every year and enlarging you don't have nematodes. I too have August Moon and Francis Williams. I have less light damage on the August Moon than Francis Williams. Francis Williams is notorius for leaf damage.

If you all are interested in plants with black foliage there is a new book coming out in September - "Black Plants" by Paul Bonine (paperback $14.95 - cheaper pre ordered on Amazon).
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Black-Plants/Paul-Bonine/e/9780881929812
It looks mighty interesting. I have a new partial shade bed in the planning state for next year. Part of the bed will have Black Mondo Grass (Ophiopogon planiscapus 'nigrescens') coming up through Scotch Moss ( Sagina subulata 'aurea'). For behind the Black Mondo Grass I'm looking for a silver or bright chartreuse leaved plant. Turning out to be a toughy. I know this isn't native species gardening but what the heck. Ornanmental horticulture isn't all that bad. Here's my favorite garden spot this year.

Thumbnail by snapple45

Have been obsessed with that color combo myself. I bought some black mondo grass on sale from Sunshine Farms (Barry Glick's nursery) a year ago. I love the Scotch moss idea. Some chartreuse foliage I've used with it - Caryopteris 'Sunshine Blue', Chrysanthemum parthenium 'Aureum' (which probably has a different name now but that's how I always refer to it and it self-seeds true to parent and I have seeds), Aquilegia vulgaris 'Woodside Mix' (although the foliage color is changeable and fleeting in high summer only to return later in the summer with a new flush of leaves), Centaurea montana 'Gold Bullion', Deutzia 'Chardonnay Pearls' (low growing shrub and one of my new favorites). And you could always use the annual chartreuse Coleus. I'm sure there are tons more but those I'm familiar with.
After seeing the photos of the nematode damage, I'm relieved to know that my Hostas don't have the critters. I would have never guessed that the heavy leaves of 'Frances Williams' would be prone to that kind of sun damage. And I have about 8 of them. Sigh.

Gee Cindy, maybe that's why my aconitum napellus is blooming now. I could swear it doesn't usually bloom til September, but I have several different aconitums mixed up together, so I could just be confused. Is your blue one a true blue, or is it purple? I'd love to find some true (delphinium) blue ones, as I much prefer that color to the purple ones I have.

Just to warn you guys, black mondo grass is an extremely slow grower. I got one or two small tufts from my mother several years ago, and now I have 3 small tufts. Maybe black plants can't do photosynthesis as well as green ones.

I agree with you on the mondo grass. Mine is a slow grower too. I think even Liriope is a slow grower for me as well. Both seem awful slow coming out of winter dormancy. Maybe I'm pushing the zone but you're warmer than me so I would think it would do better for you.
Snapple - if you're looking for silver, what about some of the newer Japanese painted ferns? Although my old species type does get some gorgeous dark markings on it along with the silver. Of course, I'm thinking shade here so maybe I'm on the wrong track.
My Aconitum is more along the purple side. Delphinium blue - not. If you find a variety with the true blue color, let me know. I need to obsess over some new plants (like I have a place to put them).

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Eureka! That's it! Ghost fern! http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/64825/ I'm digging that bed this fall. Mondo grass is slow to break dormancy. However, I have lots of runners and the clumps themselves are expanding too. I have slightly acid sandy soil. Maybe they just like those conditions.

Ahhhh - the trick with mondo must be the sandy soil. Sounds like you have a winning combination there. I have a little ghost fern that I moved earlier this season as it was totally shaded out by a Hosta.
I need to come up with some plants to put in the hard-packed clay on one of my little "terraces". I've been eradicating Campanula rapunculoides from that area (with the help of Roundup) and am trying to think of what to plant there. Can't be too tall since the wind coming out of the west will come right down that slope and blow it over. I was thinking yellow Hostas to stand out from all of the various groundcovers on the slope but I'll have to ruminate a while since that's too obvious a solution. I can loosen up the soil some but if it's too loose, it'll wash away. Already have two types of Epimedium in that area and they love it there. So do wild violets.

Cindy, my parents are in the mountains of NC, maybe zone 6b or 7, and their black mondo grass doesn't grow any faster than mine.
Snapple, if you need more part-shade silver, how about brunneras - Jack Frost or what's its name - (I'll think of it), or some of the heucheras with silver in them. Or when you say chartreuse, I think of a very lemony-lime hosta I have that practically glows in the dark, but unfortunately I don't have a name for it.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Brunnera's are gorgeous. I've never grown them. But you're right, They would be a perfect foil for black. I might mix up the ghost ferns and the brunneras. I like that idea.

Sounds good to me.

Be careful with Brunnera. The plain variety seeds all over the place here. I have an old variegated one that I've never seen self-seed but it wouldn't work in your combo. 'Jack Frost' or one of silver Pulmonarias might also work. Hosta 'Fire Island' is a pretty bright yellow.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Wow, I'm absent for a couple of days and you've been chatting it up - my mind's going a mile a minute! LOL Before I forget, I wanted to post this pic of 'Black Lace'. Louise, I'm not sure why Victor would be disappointed with it, it's stunning! This photo is from last year, its second year in the gardens and it's at least doubled in size this year! It tends to "sprawl" so I pruned it back early before it flowered, otherwise it would probably be 10' tall by now! It does need full sun to keep its color but this one really only gets full sun in the morning and by noon it's on the shady side of the house. It's planted along the edge of the field where the gardens end and there is no canopy of trees overhead or nearby so it's in a "bright" spot.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Cindy, the driveway plantings look "neat and tidy" because I just planted them - wait until next year! LOL I'm not sure which "small tree" you're asking about but there's a Chamaecyparis there that was recently pruned and may be coming out - still undecided. There's a white Redbud planted behind it and it's grown so much that it's finally providing the shade we need for that spot. We've made a lot of mistakes in the landscape and have been busy pruning this summer to lift the canopy because we've created too much shade :(

Louise, thank you :) It's taken us years to "fill in" the landscape and we've still got more bare spots to fill! Good luck with your 'Black Lace'! I planted one in my daughter's garden in Maine this summer so I'm hopeful it will make it through the winter. She's basically the same zone as you but the one I planted at my mother's last year in Bangor (Z4-5?) died back to the ground over the winter and I suspect it will never reach the size of ours.

Snapple, what a coincidence - I've been trying to get over to my friend's house to dig up some of her Black Mondo Grass all summer! I've got an area where Lysimachia 'Aurea' has formed a groundcover in front of Carex 'Ogon'. I thought it needed a punch of color with all that gold and the Black Mondo Grass would be perfect :) Her BMG has been there for years and all I need are a few clumps for contrast! Ghost Fern would be perfect for your combo :) One of the things I like most about Ghost Fern is its more upright habit versus the sprawling Jap Painted Fern. It does tend to lose some of that "ghostly" sheen by late summer but still very attractive. 'Jack Frost' Brunnera is another great choice but I've been less than impressed with its offspring, 'Looking Glass'. It's pretty in the spring but looks horrid by mid summer :(

Oops, almost forgot Snapple, your favorite garden spot is gorgeous! Which Juniper is that in the middle?

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Thank you rcn48. The Juniper is J. scopulorum 'Skyrocket'. It can get easily confused with J. scopulorum 'Whicita Blue' when young. 'Whicita Blue' gets 20' high by 10' wide at maturity. 'Skyrocket' gets 20' high by 1.5' to 2' wide at maturity. There is a restaurant here that has a 'Wichita Blue' planted on one side of the entrance and a 'Skyrocket' planted on the opposite side. Cracks me up every time I drive by. Lysimachia and Black Mondo grass together is a stunning plant combination idea.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

'Skyrocket' is perfect there! We planted Skyrocket and Moonglow in conifer bed a few years back and lost the tags so not sure which is which, I just know I like one better than the other! I guess I'll find out which one it is soon because Skyrocket (2' wide) will work in that spot but Moonglow (5' wide) won't :( I included 'Wichita Blue' in my daughter's landscape plan because we needed something blue AND wide to fill the corner. Now I'm keeping fingers crossed it won't be damaged from snow sliding off the roof, a "problem" I hadn't factored in after being away from Maine for 10 years :( The Black Mondo Grass and Lysimachia should work although it's probably a good thing I waited to plant it because the pruning of the Crab overhead opened up a lot more light than I anticipated! Hopefully by next spring the Crab will send out enough new growth to return the spot to partial shade. Next time DH is armed with his new polesaw I'm going to supervise! I had just finished filling the bare spots in this area a few weeks before and when he pruned the Crab I was afraid they were going to "fry" :( The Lysimachia and Carex are in the far left corner.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh! I love that rock garden combination. It's enchanting. Nice stone placement and choice of plants. You'd be sprprised how much sun Black Mondo Grass, Lysymachia and even Irish Moss can take. In some places all three of mine get full afternoon sun. They do great. What they don't like is to dry out. If you can provide supplemental water during dry spells and/or you have moisture retentive soil you'll have no problems.

Snapple - I do love that photo with the conifers. Do you have enough sun for it? If so, I'm jealous. Any of the conifers I've planted in the lower garden were installed before I knew what "part shade" really meant.
And the photo of 'Black Lace' is absolutely gorgeous, rcn. I think I'd only have one bed for that one - part sun - that so jammed with other sun-lovers that I'd have to do major editing to make space. But it would also be exposed to some nasty winds in the winter, suffering major die back I'm sure.
Interesting info on 'Ghost' regarding upright habit. I think that would be a plus. Mine's still not growing well, staying fairly small. It was a little bitty thing when I got it from Roots and Rhizomes two years ago. And I'm tempted to move it again, poor thing, to get a little more sun.
I did try a combo one of Lysimachia and a 'Palace Purple' seedling but it was in a space that got too dry. And I had some Sedum ternatum growing nearby and it intermingled with the Lysimachia creating an undesirable effect.
Beautiful combo pictures. Sigh.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, the "rock garden" was an effort to save that corner. Years ago I built a rock wall there and we had planted Variegated Dwarf Bamboo http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/81255/ to fill in the area under the Crab. What a nightmare! It quickly filled the area, was popping out through the rock wall and running under the path! I tore the whole wall down, removed the Bamboo and started all over :( I miss the wall but I actually like the new "look" better! When I reworked the area last month I extended the edges and built it up because the same gully washers that roar down the driveway make the turn here and washed out anything planted along the edge. We still haven't had any heavy rains to "test" it but I'm convinced that the built up edge is going to help :)

Took a quick picture of 'Black Lace' yesterday when it stopped raining to show you how much it's filled in. Keep in mind that this was after pruning it back at least 2' in April just before it started leafing out. I suspect that the early pruning will become a spring ritual to keep it a manageable size!

Edited to add link: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/128577/ This is what it looked like the first year of planting - 2006!

This message was edited Aug 23, 2009 5:59 AM

Thumbnail by rcn48

Holy smokes! 'Black Lace' must really love it's spot. I was just thinking it might make a great pot plant like the Japanese maples you sometimes see but I don't think that a voracious grower like that would like being cramped up in a pot. Just a thought.
Was hoping to get out in the garden again today but we're experience "lake effect" rain. Usually that term is only applied to snow in the winter so this is the first time I've heard it applied to rain in summer. Now I have to postpone my "season finale" in the lower garden. Can't be tramping around in wet clay. I shouldn't complain about rain in August I guess.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Just came back from an awards ceremony. My garden won the 2009 Toledo Botanical Gardens " Gardens Galore" contest for Best Shade Garden (ornanmental horticulture). I'm over the moon.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Congratulations!!!! What an incredible reward for all your hard work :) http://toledoblade.com/assets/pdf/TO68272822.PDF I felt honored years ago when a photographer I had always admired requested a visit to my Maine gardens after a group of fellow gardeners hosted a garden tour as a fund raiser. She was mostly interested in the beautiful Delphiniums in the gardens but unfortunately they "snapped" in a severe thunderstorm several days before her visit :( She told me to call her the next year when they were getting ready to bloom but that was the year I was making plans for my move to VA and I never called. I will probably never win any awards but I'd still love to see a photo "published" someday. Kudos to you Snapple :)

Cindy, same problem here with "wet clay" :( I forgot, this miserable red clay is probably one of my worst obstacles to overcome now that I'm gardening in VA. My Maine gardens were located in what they called "rich bottomlands" and some of the soils in the gardens were so rich I could dig a hole without a trowel. No matter how much I amend the soil here that's never going to happen!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.