My Maine "Vacation"

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
Now I just commune with nature

I'm with you Holly! There was a day when I thought listening to music helped keep me going while working in the gardens. Now I find it almost irritating and prefer to just listen to the sounds of nature :)

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Me too. Besides the noise in my head, nature sound is all I need!

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

I listen to online radio through speakers perched perilously on the window sills when the boys are helping in the yarden to keep them motivated. It makes me crazy though as I'm like you, I've come to enjoy hearing nature sounds. Just wish they weren't so interrupted by the passing vehicles...

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

anything to keep the boys motivated to work!!
When I stop and think, I hear constant 'hum' of highways not distant enough from me. And then there's airplanes--we are under a main landing path and estimate they are at about 1800 feet when they cross our yard. But with a private-licensed pilot in the family, you take that as sightseeing.
I was waiting for my daughter in a neighborhood away from the airport and highway and noticed how 'amazingly' quiet it was. : ^(

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

FINALLY an update! I've been getting regular reports from Emily on how everything has been doing in the landscape but have been waiting for pictures! Waiting, waiting, waiting....she kept posting on Facebook reporting that she had been working in the gardens all weekend. I finally harassed her on FB and posted "we want to see pictures!" and it worked! The planter box http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6762668 has really taken off and she's had her first Stargazer bloom :) Unfortunately the second Lily appears to have been marked wrong and looks like it's going to be a white Casablanca - variety is good right? LOL She wrote me last night and was so discouraged, they had a terrific thunderstorm roll through yesterday and the Stargazer stalk snapped but Casablanca is still standing tall :)

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

She's got blooms on her Clethra 'Ruby Spice' along the front walk!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Heucheras are filling in nicely along the front walk as well!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Sheesh, I've got to go back and check my notes, I forget everything that's planted along the driveway! It looks like the Beauty Berry on the right is doing well and she should have some nice purple berries this fall!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

A few minor losses but if you look at the photo when I left Maine http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=6762570 overall it looks like they've been doing a great job of keeping everything alive! Emily's already putting in her requests for next year! She wants more flowers for cutting to bring inside BUT she's also requested that we only spend TWO days gardening when I'm there - she wants more time to relax :)

Thumbnail by rcn48
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Looking good, I'm amazed she has blooms on the Clethra already.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Looks really good, surprising how fast things can fill in and establish a new planting. Love Beauty Berry. Ric was just wondering when we would see some up dated pics.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I was kind of surprised to see the Clethra already blooming there too! I guess they're not as far "behind" us as I thought. Ours started blooming a couple of weeks ago and are just about finished which is earlier than I remember last year?

Holly and Ric, I was anxious to see the updated pics too! It's funny now that I've finally seen them, there are plants showing up that I didn't plant??? The morning we left I took all my pictures and jumped in the shower while Rick was still outside working in a last minute attempt to get the "leftovers" planted :)

I may have created a "monster" - every time my mother sees pictures of something new blooming in Emily's garden she decides that she wants it too! LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Debbie, Your efforts are being rewarded, Em's place looks great! Tell her that her efforts show as well. Gardening in Maine is unusual, the plants seem to know the seasons is so short that they work harder to get it done. LOL Ric

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

LOL, I think you're right! It will be interesting next spring to see how she does - being a newbie gardener she hasn't been put to the real test with clean up after the long winter and having to wait for everything to grow again. This year she was lucky and had an instant garden...well almost :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.