Heidi Chronicles - Make Room For Baby

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

LOL, cute!
I'm worried about KC's (Kitty Coon) babies. I'm hoping they are just hunkered down somewhere out of fear of all the fireworks the neighbors are setting off. We didn't see any of them all day, nor tonight. Very few racoons, either. KC didn't show up until this evening, ate very little, then left. I have been praying that they're safe.
It's hard when you get attached to critters, then you worry about them!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Well, Mishka didn't want to give up her hold on that melon. Bratty kid. When she and Heidi got into a shoving match and Mishka wasn't willing to step aside, I gave her a light spritz...So here she is seen returning to the melon after having run off to wash her face in the pool.

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Yes, KyWoods,

I know just what you mean. I care as much about some of my raccoon pets as I do about my dog - but don't tell him I said that!

If all was well before the fireworks, I think they are probably all hiding and/or fearful due to all of the commotion. My group used to be terrified of the firework, too. I think they got over them so fast because Heidi has learned to trust me to a large extent when I tell her "it's ok". Once Heidi stayed (last year), the others came out and stayed, too. Then when they all stayed in the yard eating during the fireworks show and nothing bad happened to them, they learned to ignore it.

Heidi really does listen to me. She can be in the process of running away from some scary sound, and when I say "It's ok" she will stop and look at me as if to say, "are you sure?" and I'll say, "It's ok. I promise" and she will come back and continue eating. It's pretty incredible.

Hoping KC's babies and the raccoon are all ok. I think they are probably fine and will be back when the weekend is over.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Back in the middle of the melon, getting in mom's way.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

still

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Lol.. Mishka is a good name. Ha d a friend from poland by that name.

Shame on Dennis. Vinegar in the bottle. Won't it burn their eyes. I woudl think even with abath th esmell of vinegar might not wash off of them or their coat all the way and attract some othe r animal or somethign towrd s them no???

Boy for ayearly Mishka sur e doe s have long arms. She no fool eaither. Butter mom up adn get some fo the melon the other s don't get. Maybe Miska was the youngets and needs a bit more spoiling.
: )

Get ya some rest Cheryl. It back to the grind tommorrow and sure yoru body need s rest. Thank you for the pics. sure enjoye d them : )

Me, too, adorable pictures! That reminds me...gotta get some watermelon for our bunch.
I just noticed a racoon came to eat, and it's quieted down outside, for now. Good sign.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Heidi gives up again to eat some dog food after arguing with the kid.

Notice how the melon keeps turning more and more sideways so that Mishka can reach the center where the good stuff is or what is left of it. Also compare what is left of the melon to what Heidi had in the 1st pic above.

Note that in some of these shots (not this one) you will see clear evidence that Heidi has kits somewhere. : )

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, KyWoods,

Glad things are quieting down and the raccoons are showing up. I figured as much. It's pretty quiet here tonight, too.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Heidi takes the melon back and someone gives the kid another quick spritz.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Heidi trying to hold down her side while scooping up handfuls of liquid to drink.

That Heidi is willing to share with Mishka is most unusual. She does not normally allow her grown kids to share her food.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Last one for now, but this is not the end of the picture story. Still to come is a series of shots where Heidi sets up the shove and the two struggle for the melon - before Mr water bottle settles it.

What, no cookies for dunking? lol

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

Loved the pictures. The series of pictures do tell the story(along with your narrative).

Thanks for the insight on how to pick a good tasting melon. I had hoped you would give me pointers :) and you didn't disappoint me. I will be going to the store tomorrow and will try it.

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

Goodness, I lost this thread, and took me hours to catch up.
Whew!

Great watermelon shots, though...and strange about Bast. Now I am worried again about Fraidy.

Loved playing catch up though, better than both the books I have going right now.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Sharran,

I was thinking of you just the other day, thinking we hadn't heard from you for a while. Glad you found us and got caught up - and that you enjoyed it.

It's definitely mixed news about Fraidy and Bast. On the one hand Bast, who is actually the injured one, may still not make it and will likely have some lingering disability if she does. On the other hand, while Fraidy has escaped that fate, we don't know where she is or what is going on with her.

Great to 'see' you again.

I was in Chicago again for most of the weeks ending June, and then this past week has been crazy nutz trying to catch up with weeds and tame the rampant daylilies. I think things are finally back to normal and tonight was the first chance I had to really think about what I had been missing. You and the gang were at the top of my thoughts, though, so I had to go on a search to find you.

Great to 'see' you too!

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Loved the pictures and the picture story. Yes, Heidi is certainly in ecstasy with that melon!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Sharran,

Oh, yes, I am no stranger to the work needed to slay the weeds and overgrown shrubs, vines, and other desirables in the garden. I did some of that yesterday - and am now in bed on pain meds. Argh!

Edited to add: Thanks for the kind words!

This message was edited Jul 6, 2009 10:18 AM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, goldfinch!

I've been chiding Heidi that I think the reason she hasn't brought those kits to the buffet yet is that she doesn't want to have to share the melons with them. Last year, once the kits arrived, they got the melon and Heidi was lucky to get some of the juice when they were through.

All is back to normal today here in Kitty Coon land--all the kitties showed up for breakfast. What a relief, as I we were worried about them, and praying for their safety! I pray for poor little Bast's healing, too. And yes, where is Fraidy?

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I forget. Not hard for me . LOL I didn't think so, but is it possible fraidy off havign a kit or two somewhere?

Ooooh, never thought of that, but hey, could be! Good thinkin', starlight!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

starlight,

It's possible, and since we don't have any way of knowing I say let's choose to think the best. Who knows, when HRH left to start his new kingdom elsewhere, maybe Fraidy and a few of the others went with him. Maybe she and some of the others that we haven't seen in a while are all out there somewhere in HRH's kingdom having kits even as we speak. You never know.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I wasn't planning to go out there tonight. I did some yard work yesterday - wore only a tank and shorts due to the heat, along with my ugly, ugly garden boots (in case of snakes). The boots are double layers of shiny, thick, red rubber with giant yellow and white daisies all over them like something from the 60's or early 70's. When I bought them I figured big rubber boots would look dopey anyhow, so why not exaggerate the look. Anyhow, after a few hours of pruning, hacking down giant wisteria vines, weed wacking, raking up the mess, etc, etc, I came in every bit as soaked as if I had spent that time under a shower. Then in the middle of the night I awoke with sharp, stabbing pains in my back and legs. Guess I over did it. I really hate being unable to do what I want to do. Scream! Spent the day laid up in bed taking muscle relaxers and pain pills. Then late this afternoon we had a bad Tstorm come through.

All in all, I didn't plan to feed raccoons today. I needed to go out to the car to bring in one of the 3 bags of cat food I'd left out there on my last shopping trip, and my back wasn't up to that. I didn't even get up to eat all day until after 8PM. I was hungry, but not hungry enough to risk making the pain worse by walking. When I got up a little after 8 to let the dog out, I walked through the kitchen. It was still light out and soaked from the Tstorm that had just gone through, but there on the door facing sat Heidi with Bast about a foot in front of her. For some reason it was very heartwarming to see them out there waiting for me that way. It brought a smile to my face even through the pain, and try as I might I just could not bring myself to walk away from poor Bast sitting there waiting for me. I know it is very hard for her to walk even a few steps. I'm sure her pain would make mine pale in comparison. She could wait back at the buffet but had chosen to hobble up to the steps. She must be very hungry. I couldn't say no to that.

Unfortunately, by the time I went out and dragged the cat food in, I was late getting out there. The crowd was large, not the group of 8 or so that had been there the last few nights. This group included some who are less inclined to worry about Bast's needs. She sat in the middle of the lawn a few feet from me as she had the night before. For the 1st half of the night it was amazing how they stayed away from Bast and left her pretty much alone on that side of the buffet, everyone crowding on the other side. Whenever anyone went within about 3 ft of her even to try to drink for the tractor scoot, Bast would make that whining sound that i can only describe as "dying moose", and they would always move away from her giving her space. It's an incredible thing to observe. I gather the 'dying moose' sound means "I'm hurt, please leave me alone", and, incredibly, they do.

Bast was really enjoying the cat food as was everyone else. At one point, I turned back from dealing with Bast to find Heidi standing at my knee. She had run out of cat food and had come over to ask for more. I gave her more and gave Bast more. Soon the cat food had run out and the large crowd was not happy. After that they started getting too close to Bast. They weren't trying to take her food. In fact, they were still 2 to 2.5 feet away from her, but with those injuries Bast is very uncomfortable when lots of raccoons start milling around too close. I don't really enjoy being jostled about by a crowd when I'm feeling good, so I can understand her unease at being in an unruly mob when injured. After that I wore myself out trying to keep them away from her while also trying to protect Heidi's food supply. She had left it to walk up to me for cookies. I had a feeling she would want her cat food again when she finished eating cookies. As I was out of cat food, I was in a shoot-out on two fronts trying to keep the crowd from getting too close to Fraidy and keep them from eating Heidi's food while she was up beside me eating cookies.

Here is something I can use some help with. Ok, I know I need to get that blaster gun. Between work and pain, I just haven't managed that yet. It's not that easy for me to go to stores like ToyRUs. Lots of walking = more pain. So in the mean time, here's the problem. While most of the raccoons will back off when sprayed with water, there are a few die-hards on the late shift who seem completely impervious to this. They will walk right into the stream of water and keep right on doing whatever as though I weren't even there. Husky is one of those, but there are others. Any ideas? Vinegar added to the water doesn't seem to effect them either. Should I add cayenne pepper? Something else?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

As soon as I wrote the question, the answer came to me. I went directly to Amazon.com and ordered one. I get 2nd day shipping free so it will be here ASAP.

Also, I forgot to add that on the way out the door I grabbed a couple handfuls of those jelly packets to appease the 'others'. I had a few s/w cookies but only enough for heidi and Bast. The jelly packs went a long way toward keeping the others happy. Just FYI I've found that grape is the favorite. It's not what I would go for, but I guess it makes sense considering how much raccoons seem to love grapes. Some of the raccoons are happy to get any flavor. Others will turn their noses up when handed mixed berry but gladly take grape. Just like people, raccoons have favorite flavors it seems.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

I am so sorry you are in such pain Cheryl. I know it is hard when you are used to being active and doing things for yourself that now causes you pain.

I bought some dum dums(small suckers) for Halloween last year and still had a bag I couldn't make myself throw away so I put about ten along with some table scraps out behind the fence and by the time I got back with the cat food all ten of them were gone. I figure even though it is high in sugar(O.K. all sugar)a few now and then will be alright. The trouble is the blonde gal is always the first out there and any treats I put out she makes her rounds to eat every bit of them before the others arrive.

That is so sweet that Blast and Heidi were waiting for you. I couldn't have resisted either! I find it amazing that Blast is able to relate to the others the pain she is feeling and they respect it for the most part.

Judy

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

So sorry to hear about the recurring pain, Cheryl; hope it will abate very soon. Have you ever tried a chiropractor? I know there are many different kinds of back problems and pain, but my back would have me in constant pain without regular chiropractor appts.

Great idea to order the soaker gun from Amazon! Hopefully that alone will solve the problem of the others harrassing Bast and stealing Heidi's food; the noise function those guns have might help. If water alone doesn't work with the soaker, you can certainly add vinegar or cayenne or Tabasco sauce; none are toxic, but they certainly aren't pleasant.

It's truly impressive that Heidi's group responds to Bast's whining by backing off. Heidi certainly raises those kits right, and they seem to inherit/absorb some of her caring and conscience - that's awesome.

Cheryl, I am getting a little worried about you and the gang, mostly about you....

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Likewise; hopefully you're just busy, but please post just a few words when you can to let us know you're okay.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Yep, I know. I wonder if the pain got too bad and she had to go mayeb to er or something.

I know not yesterday but the two days before they had soem bad rain storms. Maybe it knocke d her puter out or something. Hope it only that.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I have to leave for work in a few. She usually posts on Saturday morning. I f by th etime i get back this afternoon she hasnt then I wil try and giv e he r a call and make sur e she ok.

Hopefulyl she just takign a fe w days and resting from pain and wa s able to get to doc fo rshot s or something and is just like out of it relaxing.

Sending hugs and prayers Cheryl

Lyndonville, NY

I have checked other threads also....and didn't see a post. Definately getting very worried.

Debbie

Salisbury, MD(Zone 7a)

I hope this message finds you well and just taken a much needed break...I hope your health is okay and if it has gotten you down that you have been taken care of you...hope to hear from you soon even if its just to say a couple words to let us know your okay

Jeani

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for all of your posts of concern and for your prayers and good wishes. I'm "ok". I spent this past week in a lot of pain. Sitting upright is very painful. I started typing a brief response to Judy's post earlier in the week (Monday, I think) but could not manage to finish a single paragraph before I had to lie back down again. After that things just got worse. I had to try to find a way to go to work - which means sitting upright for 8hrs. After a day or so of unbelievable pain, I found a combination of muscle relaxers and pain pills that made the pain at least bearable enough to allow me to get through the day. All I could think of all day was coming home to lie down. By the time I could finally lie down, I just didn't want to get up for anything, not even to post. Also, the meds made me very sleepy, so once I got home I slept.

One day at work the pain and the gravity of the situation was just so bad I ended up in the ladies room crying, something which is generally frowned upon in professional circles.

For two night the pain was such that I couldn't even force myself to go out and feed the raccoons. I remember lying in bed in a semi-asleep state one night thinking of poor Bast out there, thinking of how she had dragged her pain wracked body all the way to my door in hopes of dinner and yet I just could not make myself get out of bed to go out there. I was tempted to go to the back door and throw food out by the handfuls, but thank goodness I retained the good sense to know that was a very bad idea.

I did manage to go out the last 2 nights after I got on the 'right' medication combo to keep the pain down to a minor scream. Bast was there, so she did somehow manage to get by. She ate a good bit. I walked right up to her so that I could pour the food in a single spot rather than throwing it and having it scatter. I feared she might run as I approached but was surprised to see her start to drag herself toward me as I got closer. (She can walk, BTW. She walks to and from the area.)

My super soakers arrived (I bought 2 styles). Haven't used them yet. Monday I poured roughly 1/3 of a large plastic 'Real Lemon' into my water bottle. Apparently, they don't care so much for lemonade. I've not found a single raccoon so far who can hang with lemon juice between the eyes for more than a spritz or 2. The idea just came to me when I opened the fridge to get some eggs for them and saw that big yellow lemon sitting in the door. Once I open those things they always spoil before I get around to using the rest, so this was a good use for it.

No kits yet! Heidi is starting to act very strange though. I really think she is thinking about bringing hers but trying to figure out how to deal with the crowd. Usually she eats and leaves, this week she has been staying around after she is clearly full. She wanders around the area kind of surveying the situation and looking most displeased. Every few minutes she sets her eye on one raccoon or another and starts chasing them out of the area. I can think of no sensible reason for her behavior except that she is trying to find a safe place to bring those kits - and as we all know by now Heidi is all about sensible.

Also, I have an apt with my pain dr for Mon afternoon. I won't be having shots that day though. We will just be discussing my situation and deciding what to do next. Hopefully, shots will follow soon after.

Good to hear from you, I hope the next post lets us know you are pain free. I know exactly the pain you are talking about, and it isn't for the faint of heart. Makes us want a whole new body, doesn't it?

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Sharran,

Yes, to that new body. Many things, I think, are wasted on the young, naps and a healthy body among them. I say this because I know that I never truly appreciated either of these things until now.

When I last spoke with my Dr, he was of the opinion that the pain I am experiencing now, which BTW differs from the pain I was experiencing not so long ago, is actually from pressure on the sciatic nerve, so definitely in line with what you described. I have pain in my left lower back and all the way down my left leg to the ankle. Incidentally, while looking for some paperwork one day, I ran across my MRI report which mentioned damage to L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-SI. That would seem, again to the untrained eye, to indicate I may have both SI joint issues and sciatic nerve damage/pressure. Needless to say, it has been a rough week.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Judy, below is the response/post I started writing some time Mon or Tues. As you can see, it trails off at the end. I lay down again and never finished; however, I left the browser window open hoping to come back and finish/send eventually, so here it is...

Hi Judy,

I have this adorable image in my mind now of the raccoons in your neighborhood walking around licking lollipops. Maybe the blonde gal is taking the lollipops home to kits. Seriously though, that's one reason I don't like to just put the food out for mine before they arrive; on the other hand,

Sounds much like my own MRI reading. So yes, I know.
Sorry.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ruth,

Sorry that I didn't respond to your post earlier in the week. As I never finished my response to Judy's post, I didn't make it that far.

Just the other day I was thinking of your recommendation that I try a chiropractor - but I appreciate you reminding me as my memory isn't all that great these days. I went to one when I was in my 20's with very good results. These days I'm torn between staying with the traditional course or at least seeing it through to whatever end there is, and trying other approaches. Part of me says to do the shotgun approach and try everything at once in hopes of getting better faster; but aside from the possibility that multiple approaches may conflict with each other, there is the very real concern that I won't know which one worked if I do get better. Also, I've heard that chiropractors are reluctant to work on you if you have the kind of injury/damage that I have. Of course, I should go to see one to get that information directly to be sure. To be honest, I really don't know which way to turn. Add to that the fact that I'm in so much pain I don't want to get out of bed and on so much medication I can barely stay awake plus the fact that every appointment means more time off from work and you get...the situation I find myself in where there appears to be a brick wall at every turn and I don't know which way to turn.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.