Kendrick Lake Park

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I have visited this public park twice now. There are a lot of Plant Select plants here. I am not sure if it is a trial garden or not. I will look into it. Here is the second group of pics because I don't know where the first set went. I hope you enjoy...

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Linum

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Pulsatilla

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Delosperma and Clematis

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

ID?

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

ID? Crappy pic but very cool plant.

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Sedum 'Angelina' and ID?

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Grass and Knautia

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Yucca

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Phlomis

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Ephedra and Artemisia

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Salvia ID?

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Helictotrichon and Achillea

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

A different view...

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Artemisia and Allium

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Allium

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Hesperaloe

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Marrubium

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Poppies!

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

ID on the cactus?

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Salvia daghestanica, I can't get a good pic of it.

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wow! What a bunch of beautiful flowers for the dry mountainous areas we live in. I think the cactus is a claret cup, but couldn't see enough or the plant to be sure. Claret cup grows wild around my part of the world.
So many beautiful plants. Is this part of the Denver Botanic Gardens? I get the feeling that Plant Select is their label.
Georgeous stuff. Leading the way for gardeners throughout the Rockies. The linum appears to be on steroids! What wonderful dry lands flowers they select and sell. I am up for more.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks for posting those plutodrive.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Very nice!!!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I'm glad you guys like it. Apparently there are these demonstration gardens all over Colorado. There are also a couple in Wyoming and Montana. http://plantselect.org/map.php

"Plant Select® is a cooperative program administered by Denver Botanic Gardens and Colorado State University in concert with horticulturists and nurseries throughout the Rocky Mountain region and beyond. The purpose of Plant Select® is to seek out, identify and distribute the very best plants for landscapes and gardens from the intermountain region to the high plains."

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Luvly. I think the yellow shorter daisylike plant is an anthemis.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Unfortunately, there seem to be none in new Mexico.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I thought High Country Gardens had some relationship with the Plant Select organization. At the very least they seem to support them.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

They definitely support Plant Select and sell a bunch of their stuff. They do have a demonstration garden as well, but they aren't listed as having a Plant Select Demonstration Garden. I think the Demo Garden at High Country ( Santa Fe Greenhouses) is older than Plant Select. At least I am guessing that it is.

Santa Fe, NM

Very pretty park to visit and take pictures, Plant Select or not. I think the cactus is "claret cup" which seems to grow everywhere and look good!

Where is this beautiful park? I don't recognize the name of it.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi DJ, it is on Jewel between Kipling and Wadsworth. There is a nice path around the lake, a one mile walk. Another spot I like to walk around is at the Lakewood Commons. They have paths and horse trails around that lake. There are also a couple of cool gardens too but Kendrick's are better.

Thanks for the Baby Sun. I noticed that the flower follows the sun. Pretty cool.

Thumbnail by plutodrive

You're welcome! Thanks for the park info. I'll have to go check it out one of these days. Always like to find new places to go for a pleasant stroll.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Oh, yummy pictures, thank you so much! I have those same poppies, I believe, blooming like crazy in a bunch of stuff from a Territorial Wildflowr Mix I wintersowed, it is a real success and I plan to get more of that blend -- formulated for this dry central area of Northern CA, it would probably do well for y'all also. Contains red flax, clarkia, baby's breath, what I suspect is an erisymum cause the flowers look like that, bachelor button, and t he poppies and some other stuff.

And I agree I think the little feathery yellow baby is anthemis of some kind.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I got an id for the anthemis on the id forum... Anthemis biebersteiniana. Took less than 10 min.! I'm thinking that it would look great in my garden. Thanks for helping. I would also like the Claret Cup. Is this what you guys are talking about? http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55534/ I have three other cactus/succulent plants that are supposed to be borderline hardy here but I'm afraid to try them outside during the winter.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I want some poppies in my garden next season Kyla. Was thinking calfornias and Lauren's Grape. But there are so many cool ones that it is difficult to choose. Glad your wildflowers are a success. I got some Coreopsis tinctoria in a trade that I hope will seed itself around.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Poppies are great fun. Did I say I have Lauren's Grape about ready to bloom? I can't wait to see them, the buds are humongous, they must put on quite a show.

Santa Fe, NM

I like all poppies and none do very well for me! I did have Lauren's Grape in pots one year and they are very cool. Didn't last long enough, tho. I have Dahlias in pots this year and they are getting buds now. It is so exciting when they open! We are having so much humid, rainy weather it is weird. If this keeps up I may want delphiniums.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I love poppies both annual (California and Lauren's Grape and others) and also perennial ones. I have a nice bunch of oriental poppies in my raised bed in the back yard. I found them difficult to get started -- lost several but kept trying. Finally, the ones I planted in the fall took off and bloomed magnificently this year. By they way they clash famously, plutodrive, I have orange, salmon, pink and deep red, that I would say is a blue red. Here os the red one. Once they get started they are pretty easy to take care of. Just water is all I use. O don't grow them from seed, but I have. It works fine.
I have Danish Flag and Lauren's Purple of the annuals. Danish Flag looks good, Lauren's Purple less so because it is planted in the 6 inches of rock that still covers part of my front yard. It may flower, but it is no where near as good looking as the Danish Flag right next to it that is actually planted in soil -- in a place where I removed the gravel and landscaping fabric.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I grew the anthemis tinctoria kelwayi from seed this year. Great germinater. http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/product/7842/1/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.