I confess, its time for part 4+1 of the confessions thread

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/991568/

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks, Dave. Loading was getting a bit slow,. I have to admit.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks for the new thread. Spittle bug ewwy goo pic from googleguy. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_lDfVXMCBuu0/SJyHTo8p8kI/AAAAAAAAA6M/XRnxjSPLQos/s640-R/Spittle+bug-+(1).JPG

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww....

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww.here, too! I have seen that on plants, though.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I have accidentally stuck my hand into such things unawares. Double eeeeeeeeeewwwwwww!

Santa Fe, NM

I don't think I have ever seen that yicky stuff before. Maybe I just blocked it from my memory. Ewww!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I am not going to look, as my approach is that life presents me with plenty of unavoidable yucky stuff so why add more to my experience?

I confess.

Whew. Felt good to get that off my chest, LOL!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Ew, looks like a hocker.

Santa Fe, NM

A sneaky confession is that today is my birthday! I don't think I ever posted it on D.G. I've had a really nice day so far; gotta go to a tai chi class in a few minutes. D.H. thinned the red Mulberry tree in the back yard for me today! It looks much better but is still full of berries. And birdies.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Well, then, here is a top secret wish for you! Appy-hay Irthday-bay! That way no one will know what I said. ^_^

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

No one, no one at all will know. Happy birthday, roybird, right after your aniversary! Congratulations on both.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Bonne fête, roybird!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Happy Birthday roybird! I hope yours is great.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Happy birthday roybird, even though you weren't too sneaky.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

OK Dahlia, based on everyone's reactions, I am not going to follow your link!

Happy belated birthday, Roybird!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh! Happy belated birthday, Roybird! Hope your day was lovely!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Happy B-Day dear Funny Bird ^_^ I hope you have a luvly, luvly day.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

(((((*ssssecret birthday wishessssss of joysessss*))))))

Do have a sweet day, dear Roybird, and many of them.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Garden History Item today 1638: A lunar eclipse was the first astronomical event recorded in the U.S. I think that's sooooooo not true. There are cave paintings of astronomical events that have been dated from waaaaaaay before that. I think there are some in CA. Kyla or anybody heard of them????

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, the Sun Dagger at Chaco Canyon New Mexico was used to determine the arrival time of the Winter Solstice and other seasons. That was way before the Europeans arrived. Isn't a solstice and astronomical event? I don't know of any Native American cave paintings of astronomical events in the US, but the Sun Dagger was only discovered about 20 years ago and now it is being touted by many scientists as their discovery when in truth it was a very persistent amateur anthropologist in Santa Fe who discovered it.

http://www.angelfire.com/indie/anna_jones1/lost_dagger.html

http://www.solsticeproject.org/

This message was edited Jun 25, 2009 6:01 PM

Santa Fe, NM

Hi, thanks for the birthday messages! It was a lovely day. Pajarito, I'm sorry I missed seeing you when you came by today. I was in reform school taking a remedial computer class. Interesting about the sun dagger. Anna Sofaer is a friend of mine, although I have never had any interest in Chaco or astronomy. She is a tai chi student and a very fun person.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, I met her through my friend Pooka. Yes, too bad we couldn't have lunch. Too bad about reform school. Do you think reform is possible? Just kidding. Reform school is such a funny name for remedial computer school. Actually I truly enjoy computers and think you could learn to as well.

Santa Fe, NM

I enjoy photo editing programs but the rest I just suffer through. I used to like the old draw and paint programs, too. I'm hopelessly visual and also don't like to sit in front of screens of any sort for more than an hour or two a day. It seems unhealthy to me.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Actually, your instincts are correct. It is unhealthy to sit in front of a screen for more than an hour or two per day. I never got into draw and paint programs and can sort of us photo editing programs, but not very well.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Dahlia, I confess, since the US was not even the US in 1638, I don't know what they are on about (to use one of my fave Brit expressions -- what is he on about anyway?) and for sure it is true there are medicine circles and other sacred locations that have been aligned with astronomical positionings way prior to the 17th century, but I don't have details of any of it, so can't help with the clarification beyond saying I agree, sounds fishy to me.

;-)

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Kyla, funny, that is one of my least favorite british expressions (Dh is british... and when I am upset about something he has a tendency to say "Don't go on about it!"... needless to say, that only encourages me to go on about it!

As for "Garden History Item today 1638: A lunar eclipse was the first astronomical event recorded in the U.S."... I have no idea, but we are a very young country with very limited history (as compared to Europe)... so no one was recording things (officially, as a country), obviously, I don't know.

I confess, I am a fan of my son, Phillip. For a good laugh, please have a look at a mini movie (eleven minutes) that he and his friends made, the link is below. Warning: a couple of expletives (well placed, in my opinion). BTW, film making, acting, directing, and cinematography are what he and his friends have gone to college for and are good at). Phill is the one on the left in the opening scene...

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=561216126579&ref=mf

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

That is good stuff! I laughed many times but I think the last line was my favorite. Expletives are well placed too!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Eh, now I just have a huge resistance to Facebook, I confess, and will not log in there, so missing the expletives and video too, too bad, bet it is super.

Brenda, it just goes to show, depends on who uses the expression, it is a good good pal of mine who is a Brit who occasionally gripes about summat (*grin*) and someone going on about summat.... tee hee.

Santa Fe, NM

Kylaluaz, how odd. I am also resistant to Facebook. I thought it was just me. Sadly, I'm sure I do miss out on some things I would like. Such as Phillip's video.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am currently downloading the video and will let you know what I think of it. I don't have any problem with Facebook at all except that I don't get it. I keep getting people who want to be my friends and I say yes if I know them but then what?????? I can't figure out what you are supposed to do on facebook.
I am not likely to make a video like your son did -- that is a cool thing to do. But I just see a bunch of friends and that's about it. I much prefer DG where people actually talk to one another -- in writing.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Brenda, the video is hilarious! Now I confess - I happen to enjoy Facebook, I have reconnected with lots of old friends there. I think it is a fun way to share pictures & links, etc. with friends & family. And you CAN talk to each other much like here. So DG & Facebook are my two big computer addictions!

This message was edited Jun 25, 2009 11:46 PM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Guess I haven't quite figured out how to talk to someone on facebook, but I loved the video. It was a great spoof of "Going for your dream" type movies. And I thought the ending was fantastic. The coliseum certainly does look old and decrepit!! Your son is very creative and cute.
Does he ever come to Santa Fe for movies? There seem to be an awful lot of them being shot around here lately.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Great video Brenda. I always wanted to become a gladiator, but my Mom made me go to barber school ...

I don't get facebook either. I have a friend who wants me to join things like that so that we can talk. "But we're talking now" I counter, "and it doesn't require a password." "Well we could share pictures too" he says. I respond "Did you get the last pictures I emailed you?" "Yes." he says. "Well there you go: we're sharing pictures."

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Brenda,
I finally watched the move last night and really enjoyed. It reminded me of a mini-version of Best of Show and Waiting for Gufman. The ending was perfect and the two guys and their parents were great.

dparsons,
That is exactly my problem with facebook. It is just easier to communicate in various other forms -- to me.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I too am missing the video cuz I'm afeared of Buttbook and Tweetiebirding and all that kinda stuff. Sorry dear Brenda ;( My fav British word is: "rotter". My fav British expression is "Tennis anyone?" which I use all the time although I don't play tennis.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have never twittered and don't plant to start now. My husband is totally convinced the person who rear ended him was texting because he never heard any breaks applied or skidding. Car and Driver actually made tests recently and determined that driving while texting is more dangerous than driving drunk.
I finally bought a cell phone for emergencies, but I don't know how to text on it!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I too had been totally resistant to facebook, for all of the same reasons stated here. But between my son, my nieces and nephews, even my older brother and his wife... I was pretty much "peer-pressured" into it, LOL! I will say that I am liking it for the "re-connecting factor"... friends from grade school and high school have found me, and I live 2200 miles from where I grew up. If you don't know someone who asks to be your friend, click "ignore". You do have lots of choices for who and what you interact with. Having said all of that, I'm still not sure that I like it...

Glad those of you that saw the video got some laughs. They are hoping to enter it in some film festivals, so they are not putting it on you tube yet.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Well, if I get reconnected with someone I haven't seen forever and who I like, I will take back everything I have said about facebook -- although actually I am rather neutral on the subject.
Hope your son and friend do well when they enter this movie in a competition. I think there are lots of movies around that aren't that funny.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

My daughter texts. I told her that for the most part its easier to just talk to the person and you don't get charged extra. It is useful for sending a message when she is in class or not able to answer a phone, so I text about once every 2 months.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.