i have slugs

I must add as well Jim41, Your friend "Rachel" sound's like a person I would enjoy hanging out with. I had several great gardner's in my family, one was my Mother. I regret not spending more time and learning more from her and a few other relative's. Dave's Garden is and has been a good learning "tool" for me.

Rachel

Delhi, LA

Just scanned back through the thread. Did any of you notice that Janemarierose, the originator of this post never acknowledged all this valuable information we have been giving. Hey, you good start a school with all this information.

Delhi, LA

I have regrets, too. My dad was a master gardener. Wished I had paid attention instead of just thinking of it as work. My granddad was a good gardener. He did every thing by the signs of the moon. Oh well, to late now. My big mistake was not passing on what I know to my son and daughter. If this economy collapses totally, as it very well could do, I can raise enough to feed my family. Some folks will starve to death. My wife and I still know how to can in jars. I even have a wood stove, if push comes to shove. Foolish! Maybe. Been called a lot worse.

NO! Not foolish at all Jim. I know how to can food and raise a garden......and know all about using a wood stove as well;-) I guess you seldom have the need for much heat in the Winter month's where you live though;-)

Rachel

Delhi, LA

I've seen the temp down to zero one time. Occationly we will get temps down to about 15 but rare. Never remember but one or two times a cold snap lasting over a couple of weeks and usually not that long. I built a green house last fall for my wife and all I used to heat it was an electric heater. That just at night. and not many of them. We came close to getting part of that ice storm that devastated Arkansas last winter so am going to install a butane heater just in case.

Was posting this reply to you Rachael when my battery died. Guess you've gone to bed by now.

Hayward (Z8b-9a), CA(Zone 8b)

Hey Jim41! The virtual cake was a breeze to bake :-)! Glad you liked it! Btw, the pig part? My hat's off to ya ma friend! Another ROTFLOL moment for me :)

Iluvcatz, of course sumtin's wrong with the mint thread: it ain't slugs! :-D But it's for good clean fun, right? (Of course OUR slug thread IS better, noh? Oui! Oui! :-)

Ooh! I found a little black and white kittykat under my car at work today! Didn't want to skeddadle so I had to wait for it to move before I could go home! Cute little thing too! Had huge blue eyes ! I wonder where it's momma went... It'll probably grow into a slug-eating cat too by the looks of it...

(almost forgot- ehem!): SLUGS RULE, MINT DROOL! :-D j/k!

This message was edited Jul 14, 2009 8:50 PM

Delhi, LA

I think that bunch is getting stoned over there at mint ville. Think they are all guzzling mint julips. But at least as they are getting into there cups they are starting to talk about slugs. Just goes to show you slugs are fun.

(Zone 5b)

Chezka very funny about the orajel! And Jim I think you scared the poop out of that pig, should have let him ride in the front with you ;)

Westerly, RI

I think I'm going to start throwing the "guts" from the cantalope outside for now on. What is that fish stuff you guys have been talking about?

Jim, How can you say slugs rule? We have been talking about getting rid of them. Of corse this thread is going to be more popular, alot of people conciter mint plants weeds.

Which fish stuff? The fertilizer or the guttin-yer-own-fish? :-) The fertilizer's called "fish emulsion"- plants love it bcos it is organic and it IS fish so very stinky.

As fer the mint, only seen fresh mint at the bottom of a tall empty glass with "some" ice leftover :-)...

Me can't have a pet pig... Too close to bacon thoughts... (mmmm... bacon...!) Maybe a pet chicken, BUT see, me love KFC... Darn! Maybe a pet duck? They eat snails and SLUGS... BUT me likey peking duck at the chinese place so scratch that! I'm just gonna have to stick with my semi-dog puppy to get those slugs in check :-)!

(pssst! hey maybe we could "infiltrate" the mint people and make them start talking more about slugs!? Eh? whaddya say?!?:)

This message was edited Jul 15, 2009 7:03 AM

Delhi, LA

The more zapped they get on all those julips the more they talk about slugs. Not sure if they are two legged or live under a plant. Us red necks are kind of slow.

Yep, we are trying to get rid of the varmints, maybe I should have said Slug Thread Rules. Howsoever, found out that isn't even true, ran a cross a thread last night that had 429 posts. Made me sick, wouldn't even read it. How could anybody make that many posts and not be talking about slugs.

Wish some of you guys were close enough to give some tomatoes to. Picked 10 gal. this morning and 5 gal. of squash and 4 gal. of cukes. How on earth is this stuff making in the high heat we have been having in Louisiana. Maybe it's to hot for the slugs and the plants are taking advantage. Wishful thinking.

429?!? Then we gots a lot of work to do people! :-)

Hey Jim41! How close are ya to California?!? :-) We loove maters here! Esp the semi-dog puppy! (Serious!) I've been trying to grow maters for two years now and was perplexed as why I didn't get to harvest anything last season. Oh I saw the little taters on the plants but never got to see em ripen... We found out when we reviewed our security cameras that- yep- the semi-dog puppy took a likin to maters! Thinks they're the best thing (second to slugs of course) in the world to munch on! He still does too! He'd sit right in front of the kitchen counter when he sees me choppin/washin maters, waiting for a handout :-) (really cute!). He also likes fruits too and quite a number of veggies. Weird dog I tell ya... Oh and don't even get me started on tater chips! It HAS to be the salt&vinegar Lays potato chip for him, otherwise he won't touch it! He don like eggs and french toast tho and I wonder why...

(ehem!) SLUG THREAD RULES!!! :-) (yippeekayay!)

Westerly, RI

jim, you can always bring some of the tomatos to a local homless shelter, food bank or food drive.
I was talking about the fish emulsion. Next time a fish in our tank dies I am probally going to burry it in my flowers

Hey that's a good idea! But if you want to make it better, you should (and I know this is gonna sound blech but i swear it'll be better) put it in a blender and add a couple of cups of water. It will get absorbed better and that way you wont smell it longer than if you left a whole fish (decomp is nasty).

Delhi, LA

Rachael I didn't open the thumnail the other night but did just now, that is a really beautiful hibiscus. I'll have to put up one of my day lilies.

Chezca, California is a long way from here. Always wanted to see northern California, my wife's brother-in-law used to drive a transport and he really liked that part of the country.

Iluvcats, the closest homeless shelter is about 40 miles from me. We share with Jo's sister and mine and a host of people from the church. Several of the widow ladies would never see fresh produce if we didn't carry them some. The fun of raising this stuff is giving it away and I luv fresh veggies.

Jo put up dill pickles Monday. Used something called Mrs. Wages Kosher Dill Mix. Broke out a quart tonight to try. They are great. First dills she's put up in a number of years. Didn't have time or a place to garden on the last church field. Glad to be back home. Will never move again.

What do you guys use for white flys. Noticed some on my okra. Got to get them under control before they spread to the cantalope that covered north Louisiana.

Westerly, RI

Well, I am sure you can find somone to take them. The price of living is getting crazy now a days. I dont know anyone who would turn down free food. I dont know how you could save the seads.

Heres a thought. You could post an ad on craigs list.

Came across this... Sooo cute.

Thumbnail by Chezca
Delhi, LA

Morning Gang, I love the pic. Wish we had it at the top of the thread for our logo. Mowed the yard today. Didn't really need it, just scraggly. Picked 2 dishpans full of figs. Looks like the lady is in the canning business again. Got to get those babies something put up. Think we'll by pass the mater gravey and eat fig preserves with them thar cat heads for a while. Got to drive 40 miles to mow my son's yard where he is moving to this week end. Told him I would mow but to darn old and lazy to help him move. Old well, someday he is going to grow up and not need the old man. I hinted for him to take a day off and put down a pump for me but all of a sudden he lost his hearing. I know thats right because he started talking about something else just like I had even spoken. Think I'll send him a bill for the mowing. Wonder how he'll react to that. Don't pay any attention to this, just an old man mumbling.

Law & Order: S.L.U.G.

Thumbnail by Chezca
(Zone 5b)

Love the slug cartoons, Chezca!
Jim I drove all the way to my mother's with my 2 little helpers to paint her arbor, it started raining as I got there....came home, no rain here it's sunny. She pulled me outside to look at her rhodies (I've been trying to cut them down for 2 years, but it keeps raining between the blooms & buds, can't cut the buds I'd never hear the end of it) and she complained that there only bare branches on the bottom....these shrubs have been in since I think 1970, probably haven't been trimmed in at LEAST 10 years....I may have to talk her into pulling them out & planting new, she would not like looking at bare branches till they grow out. Plus they have taken over her whole front yard. There are maple saplings in there I have my eye on too.
I would come help you with your pump but I have no idea what it is :) I work for bisquits & gravy, or chocolate chip cookies.

Lynnie, why pull them out? Can't you just trim and remove the dead and sordid-lookin parts? Your mom sounds a lot like my mom used to be :-). She has to SEE flowers ALL the time... Says she hated a drab-lookin garden ;)

Does your mom have SLUGS in her garden? (needed to inject "slug" in here out of respect :-)

Granite City, IL(Zone 6a)

If anyone's already said this SORRY but I didn't read through the whole threat, just not enough time right now. But about the copper tape, I believe I heard that the slugs get shocked when they touch it. I don't know why and I may be incorrect but I do think that's what I've heard. Something in them reacts to the copper.

I use Sluggo too. It's MAGIC (and curtains for Mr. Slug!) Sluggo ROCKKKKKSSS!!

Hey GrammyJo! Welcome... to... the darkside..! :-) Finally got tired of the mint juleps over yonder eh? :-) (j/k!)

Seriously- have fun!

(Zone 5b)

Hi grammyjo, welcome!
Chezca all parts are dead looking lol these rhodies are 7-8 feet high and about 5 feet deep, only the top and front are green, once you go in about 12 inches it's all bare wood. They need to be cut about 3 feet off the top and 1 1/2 feet from the front, so she'd be pretty unhappy with that look. I can hack them to to the ground & move them to her side yard & let them re-grow there, & put new ones in her front yard. There's actually a brick border with hostas growing about 1 1/2 feet inside the rhodies. I crawled in there (no small undertaking for one who fears bugs) in the spring & reported back on the hostas. My mother used to use an upside down frisbee with my brother in law's beer in it to catch the slugs.....the big ones loved it! (the slugs not the guys)
come to think of it, those hostas have survived in there for a LONG time! How long do those things live?

Santa Cruz, CA(Zone 9b)

AAK i took years to convince my grandmother to cut back her azalea, it was all bare branches, yuck. We took it all the way to the ground. It came back fast but the flowers were sparse the first year, i think only one. It was straight up haunted! It was set up so you just looked right into the dead back of the thing from the dinning room window. Wow, 40 year old shrubs can be so cool or so horrible. Lots of SLUGS under there too, well not really but spiders for sure!

Hey spiders eat teenyweenie itty bitty slugs! Seen some trapped in spiderwebs last year. But since I barely see any slugs bcos of mr sluggo, my spiders are getting thinner! One thing I don't understand is the phobia with spiders... I grew up playing with spiders with my bros. We'd have a spider wrestling match, put two of them on a chopstick and see which one falls off! Was totally fun. Used them for bait too (garden spiders- long large black ones with very long legs). My hubby's deathly afraid of them so I'm the spider-squisher at home. Sometimes I scare em cos i just grab spidey with my fingers and squish them in front of their faces :-) Expressions are priceless!

Delhi, LA

Like the cartoon Chezca. We have a little bugger down here called a brown recluse. Those rascals are looking for someone to bite. Don't guess the jokers ever killed anybody but I have known at least a dozen folks who wished they were for about a week. Got a good friend in the hospital now from a spider bite.

Lynnie I had to make an emergency hospital visit about 9 p.m. On the way home it started to rain. Had to drive about 40 it was raining so hard. Thank the Lord for the rain. We can't grow rhoddies down here. Azaleas rule. Had some all the way across the front of my home. They were here when we bought the house. They were the great big kind. I had to keep them pruned so hard that they never bloomed. There was also 2 camelias planted under the eaves of the house. Same problem. Last spring I was fixing to prune, instead I got out the chainsaw and cut them off even with the ground. Planted pink Knock Out roses back. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do. Oh yeah, a pump is that thing you put down in the ground to access the water that is there, so you don't have to pay high city water bills for watering you plants. Bisquits and gravy and chocolate chip cookies are good for me. When you coming? Oh, and by the way, we have these things in La. called cottonmouths and copperheads that it is best not to crawl under a bush in the summer time.

Welcome to the thread, GrammJo. It is good to have you. Run with the slugs for a while and you will never go back to mint.

Delhi, LA

Rachael I almost forgot. Told you I would put up a day lily photo. This isn't my favorite day lily but it was the only one I saw this year that had three bloomed out on one stem.

Thumbnail by Jim41
Granite City, IL(Zone 6a)

"Hey GrammyJo! Welcome... to... the darkside..! :-) Finally got tired of the mint juleps over yonder eh?"

Uh oh…If this is the dark side I HAVE to leave. Slugs LOVE THE DARK SIDE!!!

Thanks for the welcome guys! Oh Jim…. I have to go back to the mint sometimes. Slugs taste better with mint on top, didn’t you KNOW THAT??? Geeezzzzz (That’s just common knowledge…) ;o)

By the way Recluse spiders are NOTHING to fool around with! We have them around here too, though I fortunately haven’t actually seen one around my home (doesn’t mean they aren’t here though). My neighbor 2 doors down was bitten by one several years ago and didn’t realize it until her skin started turning black. She ended up spending extensive time in the hosp. and having a huge chunk of her under arm cut out. She was really fortunate to get help when she finally did!

With that lovely story I’ll say nighty night. I’m gonna quickly check my other forums n threads and then off to bed. Catch ya’all later.

(Zone 5b)

Funny you guys mention brown recluse spiders, I know 3 people here who got bit by one...my mother got bit & when she showed me her arm, it was turning brown & I made her go straight to the dr, he said he's never heard of these spiders but he gave her antibiotics & she was ok. She worked in a furniture store & thought maybe it came in a package.
After my mother pointed out the bare branches on the rhodies she pointed at another bush that she apparently is angry at....in the fall it's "supposed" to be red, it's yellow. She doesn't remember what it is. I asked her if it was a dogwood, she said it's not a tree. I do not argue with Mother ;) She has quite the green thumb but she buys things she has no idea what they are & then she messes with them & they grow like mad. She wants that one pruned too. It has green & yellow variegated leaves, it's a good 10 feet.
Wonderearth funny you mention haunted...these rhodies are probably much older they were there when my parents bought the house in 1973. It's a Victorian built in 1875 and if that house isn't haunted I don't know what is! There are 8 of us kids and we're all convinced of that!
oh Jim you mean a well...my husband has been talking about doing that too. I did at least put in 2 rain barrels, but I go through that water pretty quick. I want one more.

GrammyJo, me likey your humor :-) You're already fitting in poyfectly!

I've seen those tv specials/documentaries about spiders. And yep, the brown recluse wins all the time since it looks so innocuous. House spiders are almost always non-venomous or are very low in the "will-kill-ya" scale. I've seen those VERY graphic photos of spiderbites too- just horrid! Just make sure you familiarized yourselves with the venomous spiders and stay clear from them.
I guess my DH's arachnopbhobia is almost the same as my scoliodentosaurophobia AND murophobia (lizards and rats/mice! eww.).

Oh and I just looove haunted houses. Actually, anything haunted.

BEDFORDSHIRE, United Kingdom

ARE YOU ALL MAD???????????????????
thought i would read this thread as we in the UK have big problems with snails and slugs. thought i minght get some good ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!
now i have a belly ache from laughing.
Jim hows about popping over to the UK with some of your wierd biscutes and gravy? green tomato pie??????????? what on earth is that?

Back to the slug/snail problem, i have found the crushed egg shell/coffee granules and teabags do the trick. the snails get a meal througth the shells and a dring from the tea/coffee and all leave fed and watered. so we are all happy.
BY THE WAY how did you lot end up talking about cantaloup melons???????
have come to the conclusion you are all mad. but made me laugh.

(Zone 5b)

hi lainymay, pretty much we're all mad :) but welcome to our slug thread. We do have good ideas, they just don't all involve slugs. I can't believe a slug would infest a proper English garden, though, the nerve! I hope you're not saying I'm attracting them when I throw my coffee grounds around outside. That never occurred to me.

Chezka I have a phobia of any creepy crawly, especially if it has more than 4 legs that's just not right!
And if you love haunted houses you'd LOVE my mother's old house. Place gives us all the creeps. I myself will not be there alone (even as a kid growing up there) and my kids are glued to my side when we go over there.

This message was edited Jul 18, 2009 4:28 AM

BEDFORDSHIRE, United Kingdom

lynnie we do have a big problem in the uk with slugs/snails, i suspect its b3ecause we never have great weather.
i have had a good laugh reading this thread and come up with the idea if i leave a plate of fish and chips out for them, they will have thier feast and go away full and content and leave my plants alone.
what do you think?

(Zone 5b)

lainymay if you leave a plate of food out *I* may come have a feast lol
I heard that about the weather in England...then years ago a friend married a British girl and a bunch of us went over for the wedding. We spent 5 days in London it was 80 degrees & sunny.....hot as heck in the city. And there were no ice cubes for drinks. But we had a blast and the people everywhere were very nice, very fun, quite brilliant actually :) The wedding was in a town called Chester.

Delhi, LA

Welcome aboard lainymay. We are just an everyday, garden variety, common sort American. Scattered all over the country, we've found we have a lot in common. People from other nations and countries are beginning to join us now as they are finding they have something in common with us. What is that that draws so many people from so far away, together. SLUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yep, the everyday slippery, slimmy,creepy, crawly slug. Who would ever have thought this would be the rallying cry of nations. This just might be what is needed to make us all brothers. Hey Yall, that ain't half bad for a redneck. And them there bisquits ain't weird at all in my part of the country. Mater gravy and green tomatoe pie are for the educated palate. A real gormet treat, unless the maters are to ripe and you try to use splenda.

(Zone 5b)

slugs make friends

Delhi, LA

Well said Lynn. You said briefly what I in my rambling was trying to say. I have made some friends on this thread that look forward to hearing from every day.

Westerly, RI

wow Lain, You actually red ALL of this???

Delhi, LA

Hey, iluvcatz. I think this thread should be required reading before you are allowed to go to any other thread. Maybe we should compile all this into a book and get it published. Make the best seller list over night. I could use my part of the royaltys to supliment my SS. Yeah!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.