New SSV sale. Get one FREE!

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

I heard that Debbie is not only offering $5 off the purchase of two clems, but if you buy three, you get one FREE! Just what I needed to help my addiction. Now, the problem is deciding what to order.

(Zone 4a)

Hehehe how are you girls going to stay away from that? I am sure you will clean her out!!! LOL!!!

Driftwood, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, my GAWD. Back to the SSV website.....

New Richmond, OH

Just ordered 4 more!!!

Appleton, WI

I must be strong
I must be strong
I must be strong
I must be strong
I must be strong
I must be strong
lol

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Julia, forget it. That is a huge bargain. I'm working on a list now. Just think- next spring you will wish you were not buying 4 at regular price when you can only buy 3 now and enjoy the savings for the 4th.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

I'm still working on my list as well. I'd give anything if I lived closer so that I could meet Debbie in person. She has such a wonderful sense of humor and seems so "down to earth."
Am considering Semu. Anyone familiar with it?

(Zone 4a)

Semu looks soooooooo pretty in the pictures and I have heard the colouring is just awesome!!!!! I don't know much about it though... So much fun looking and deciding eh?

Appleton, WI

From everything I have read, all the Kivsitik clematis are superb.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

Well, I finally decided on two Semu's, a Rouge Cardinal, and Hagley Hybrid. CG once said to order two of the same if you can, so I took her advice once again. I hope these are good choices. I've heard HH likes shade. I have one shady spot in my entire yard and it is reserved for it. Move over, John Warren. You have company on the way.

Appleton, WI

Shihtzumom - it is a great deal, but I think I'll just check out Lowes to see if they have anything on my most wanted list. I'm still hoping to find Huvi and Piilu locally.

Delaware, OH

i put an ssv semu in the groun here in early spring. it is vigorus. already has a bud, it just started growing as soon as it was warm. i pinched it back twice and then let it go. has had no collapsed stems or any problems, has started out like a good clem. sometimes you can tell from the beginning about a cultivar.

jj you get some good choices locally i guess. huvi and piilu would never be found here locally unfortunately. my huvi was put in last fall form ssv, it bloomed like crazy this year for a plant really just in ground.

here is huvi when it just started blooming, i have not photographed it lately. but we really haven't had as much rain as some areas, but no flooding around here. ground is saturated but no harm done.

that is a good value at ssv for sure. i may be planted out, but of course will take a peek at the site and see what compells. her minuet form the fall i put in is about 10 feet tall right now i love the vitacellas like little nell, minuet, kermisina.....very vigorous. anyway here is ssv huvi in first growing season.

Thumbnail by ClematisGuru
Appleton, WI

I've told managers at nurseries that if they got better varieties. I'd buy them. It can't hurt to try. Clematis are becoming more popular, so the selection might start improving in your area.

There must be a lot of clematis fans in my area because you have to be there soon after the shipment comes because they go quickly.

Huvi is so gorgeous.

Delaware, OH

love huvi too. a great clem. so many good cultivars right now, compared to some of th eold traditional ones that i have struggled much more with over the years.

Appleton, WI

I now think of my less than stellar clems as holding spots for when I get their replacements. Margaret Hunt will probably replace Madame Baron Veillard, for example, and Fireworks needs to much sun to bloom well, then bleaches out to dull looking with the sun.

Delaware, OH

my margaret is in a kind of hidden area . i may get two more and put them somewhere predominant, which i rarely do with a clem.
it is such a show stopper that i feel possessed to do this. i am not going to move this one, because the garden it is in is getting better and better and i just expanded it.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

CJ, glad that semu is doing well for you. I remembered what you said about planting two of the same variety, so here goes. And, your Huvi is beautiful!!!

Julia, our Lowe's just carries the very common vines, although I DID find a couple of VDL's, Rouge Cardinals, and Warsaw Nike's there this yr. They have been in one-gallon pots a couple of months and roots are already showing through bottom of pot.
I've found that if you don't buy them as soon as they arrive at Lowe's, the tags are likely to become switched or removed by customers. Even if they aren't, you can't be sure about what it really is until it blooms. I've had two surprises so far. We have no other local sources. Even Tally Nursery said their suppliers didn't come through this year.

CG, I think you've just got that magic touch. Everything you grow is gorgeous.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

My order was just placed and paid.
1 - Negritianka (I have one and love it - planted with Cinderella Fairy Tale rose, soft pink)
1 - Ivan Olsson
2 - viticella 'Etoile Violette' (have 1 but there is never enough of this one)

Last month I ordered Semu which is amazing already as well Guru, a 2nd Barbara Harrington, Westerplatte and a 2nd Ville de Lyon

One day a Lowes I decided to check out the root system in those large containers. I lifted several random plants from the pot only to find tiny roots and lots of dirt. I will never buy those again. I've lost so much money on those before I found Debbie and SSV.

Here is a random picture of the root system from SSV

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Here is the different in one year -Huldine and Lady Betty B planted Aug 2008

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2009 - growth in just a few months. The trellis is 6 ft tall

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Delaware, OH

it is fun to grow an ssv and a liner and see the difference and if you have them near each other it is the first step to a nice display.
shitzu mom, what clem is that you posted?

i had a pink fantasy liner in a biiiiiiig hole. a month later i added a ssv pink fantasy, fun to see them grow (or one of them at least)

Appleton, WI

Sharkey, Lowes seems all over the place in varieties. I suppose it depends on regional suppliers. I don't remember where it was, but one region did have Huvi and Piilu. Last year out Lowes kept getting in new shipments with different varieties.

I know what you mean about tags getting switched. I usually don't buy them unless they are blooming or pull from an area that seems like they weren't touched.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Guru, the combo is Lady Betty B. and Huldine. I love Lady Betty. I think she is one of my favorites.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Deb is shipping out boxes on Monday so order fast. She has received a huge response to this great bargain!

(Zone 4a)

I can only imagine how busy she is. Once again as I have stated before....I so wish I could order from her......

Delaware, OH

dawn, how far from the border are you? if it is not far, can you have them shipped there and pick them up? we have never had any issues with plants at the canadian /us border????

have you ever asked deb if she can ship her postal boxes to canada? maybe you can order from ssv.....

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Debbie is really busy. She hasn't felt well for months with some back issues they can't solve. She has really had a time with it, been to several docs, the teaching hospital's ER, and still they can't figure out what this major pain in her side/back is. I don't know how she holds up. She's been getting massages, chiro work, and still has mostly bad days. I talked to her earlier this evening and he is trying to get her orders ready since she ships on Monday. I'm sure after this last big sale she will get some quiet time and hopefully be able to rest and find some relief. SO BUY BUY BUY so the poor woman and get some R&R.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I called Debbie last night to ask about another clem I MUST HAVE -Florida Sieboldii and I love it but was concerned about my zone. She said it does great for her in WA and will do so in my area. She said often people think because it's named 'Florida' that it requires a warmer climate. I only want 2 and asked about the bargain deal of buy 3 get 1 free.

So she is starting a new deal - BUY 2 and get $5 off !!!!!! Bargain time for me.

Check out this one.

This message was edited Jun 23, 2009 10:12 AM

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Like that one...such a deal better go and place a order!!!

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

That is a beautiful bloom! I hope mine looks like that one day. Right now it doesn't because I broke one of our "clem rules." I bought it as a liner and since I read that it was cold sensitive, I put it in a pot and let it grow instead of keeping it pruned back. It has been blooming lately, but the blooms are very small and aren't very impressive. I'm going to go ahead and prune it and let its roots develop. Shame on me for breaking one of the rules.

By having it in a pot, I can keep it from freezing this winter. This may be FL, but I'm not immune from hard freezes. Right now I would welcome a freeze. We're having heat advisories, so what do I do?? Yesterday I dug two holes (in the clay) for the SSV clems I'm expecting tomorrow. At first it seemed like an impossible task. DH usually does it, but wasn't available. This is going to sound completely insane, but I kept thinking about all of those movies I've watched where the prisoner escaped by scratching through the concrete an inch at a time to make a tunnel. I kept telling myself "I can do this if they can." My brain must have been frying at 110 degrees, but I got the job done. I don't want DH to know I can do this, so I'll probably just tell him I found a couple of small sink holes near the house.

Anticipating the arrival of SSV clems is kind of like looking forward to Christmas as a kid, isn't it?

I'm still considering giving one of my Hagley Hybrids a partner, but can't decide which one. Any suggestions? I understand that it prefers shade. I don't know how anything is still living out there right now.

Delaware, OH

i had one one year, (in the ground) and it actually came back the following spring and produced one little flower and then promptly died........
not good for 5, but i knew that, just couldn't resist trying......

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

GURU, can you grow Crape Myrtles? Debbie can't but I can and our town has tons of yards with them. Formerly thought to be a place where C.M. would not withstand the cold. Zones are changing and Deb said to plant Florida on a side of the house with protection but she has no problem with them BUT she can't grow Crape Myrtles - so even though our zones are numbered the same we really have experienced a difference over the years.

It's worth a go for such a stunning clem.

Debbie said she was shutting down the site the end of June. This is one of the last great bargains for those of us who only need 2 more.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Sharkey, you are so funny. I was also digging holes in the horrid heat getting ready for my SSV clems. You would think we would know better by this age. I don't think I got it to 18 " deep but then I didn't have the inspirational prison escape to help. When I was at the store later, I saw a hat that had coolant in it. Maybe that and lots of Propel will help me brave the heat again.

Marianna, FL(Zone 8b)

I guess you Texans are having a heat wave also. Today I got the soil mixed and and in the holes. Hopefully, the clems will arrive tomorrow a.m. They usually only take 2 days.
Speaking of hats, there is a guy at a local grocery store who actually wears a hat that looks like an umbrella. He still helps people carry out groceries if he is needed. It looks absolutely ridiculous, but I am SO tempted to ask him where he got that hat. I have NO shade in my yard until late afternoon on the south side of the house. I guess our northern friends go through much worse than this on the opposite side of the scale during their winters.
Shihtzumon, I have a crepe myrtle tree, which is one of the very few trees in our yard. I'm experimenting with putting a few clems in pots under that tree. I cut the bottom out of the pots, but wasn't able to dig much of a hole underneath it because of the roots. Right now, I have a John Warren and a Candida doing a very good job of trying to climb the tree. Both have buds. I'm thinking of putting one of my Hagley Hybrids under there as well in a large pot. Crepe Myrtles are SO pretty when they are in bloom. Mine is just now starting to bloom. The bark on those trees is very pretty.

Is Debbie actually going to shut down her website or just quit shipping? I really enjoy looking at her site, deciding what to put on my wish list.

Taylorsville, KY

Hi all: I read this discussion forum everyday and enjoy learning and seeing your successes. I have 3 clems but I don't have the tags with me (I'm at work) but I love them and want to add more to my gardens. I know I saw Debbie's website awhile back and was amazed and planned to order from her since you've all are such supporters. I got so excited when I saw she has this sale for June BUT I can't remember her website. I've been monitoring hoping you'd mention it but I thought I'd better ask, before it's too late. Would someone mind sharing that with me? Sharkey: I loved your story and can relate to it because it sounds like something I would do too-by gumby, where there's a will, there's a way. I knew I'd heard of Marianna, Florida.....my husband and I vacationed on St. George Island a couple of years ago.....I adore that area and hope to return there someday. thanks very much....kim

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

http://www.silverstarvinery.com/default.asp
Let us know what you order.

Taylorsville, KY

THANK YOU; and I will....kim

Taylorsville, KY

I so remembered the site once I got there.....boy, that was fun. I ordered:
Florida Sieboldi, Girenas, Rooguchi and viticella Benosa Violacea
I had about another 6 on my wish list but they were sold out. I guess that made it a little easier to narrow my choices! My DH and I just got a pc at home so I hope to join more often....thanks very much....kim

Appleton, WI

Welcome to the forum, Kimmy!

Taylorsville, KY

Thanks...I'm so looking forward to getting to know everyone and their clems...growing up, there was a huge purple flowering one over a "homemade" trellis/arbor over our steps up the sidewalk by the side of our one-car garage and I always loved it. I will get the tags on mine that I have now and let you know who they are....the newest one i got from Song Sparrow Farm and, I THINK, may be Jersey Cream (I'm probably way off).....that one is going bananas but didn't bloom this year but I hard pruned it in the fall. It sure is putting out growth though.....I'd say it's 12 feet or more and it's never been that tall. The other two are planted together and have never bloomed much and they are huge tangled mess at the moment. I've never had adequate support for them and that's my goal this fall....put up proper support and pay attention to a feeding schedule. Yay, now I will have 4 more to actually take care of this time! kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.