Veggie Garden Portraits

Crestview, FL

Gymgirl: The local Ace Hardware has spinach startings for sale already and no onion sets or beets yet. The spinach is way too early to be planted, it will bolt I'm afraid. Thinking about planting my own onion seeds in smart pots and have already planted my beet startings that I started. But isn't it a bit early for spinach here?
joy

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Joy,
I'm actually gonna wait until mid-October or so, for cooler weather. I Will sow the turnip, beet and carrot seeds Monday. Carrots take forever, and I've found that, when they're ready, they'll come up outta that soil! And not one minute before they're ready too, either!

Crestview, FL

Gymgirl: I'm going to be picking up my spinach startings this weekend, wound up planting bunching onion seeds and granex onion seeds in smart pots today. I've reserved and readied 3 EBs for my spinach. The directions of the EB says 10 per EB? How many startings did you put in each EB?
joy

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Ray, are you still waiting for the wind? It didn't happen yesterday, and this morning everything is dripping with fog! Humidity stayed high (for here) yesterday also.
Carol

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Hey Carol, no Santa Ana winds yet but it's HOT! Especially today. Kinda bummed they aren't happening right now.....just means our really warm weather is gonna last even longer than I anticipated. The fog was nice this morning but it burned off real fast (before 8:30) this morning.

Corte Madera, CA

Hello, everyone. Having a wonderful day, I hope. Here's a photo of WBF variety Large Barred Boar.

Mark, I know it's hot. Please keep your shirt on. Our neighbors have their Olympic score cards out again.

Thumbnail by Moonglow
Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

How much will it cost me for a 10?

Corte Madera, CA

Enrique gave you a 10 and now having a lover's quarrel with Jared, LOL. I think we better give them some of that jalapeno bread you baked.

Here's Jalapeno Monterey Jack Popover with GZ-Jal Puree (EB-Grown).

Thumbnail by Moonglow

LOL Looks delicious! Love those popovers. Too bad they all went to the girls.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

'Pet that looks good! Nicely done, and to think I dared to challenge you in a cook off. Silly me.

LOL! You dork. I'm still trying to figure out the score you gave...That is a lot of writing on one score card.

T=(1/2)*(1+1/2^2+1/2^4+...) - (1/2^2)*(1+1/2^2+1/2^4+...)
T=(1+1/2^2+1/2^4+...)*(1/2-1/2^2)
T=(1+1/2^2+1/2^4+...)*1/4 ==>T>1/4
Let S=1+1/2^2+1/2^4+1/2^6+1/2^8 ==> S<2 ==> T=S*(1/4) < 2*(1/4) T=10

This message was edited Sep 25, 2009 4:18 PM

Crestview, FL

Now, I'm gonna raid the kitchen as that picture made me hungry again, and I just ate. Now, if I get fat we know who is to blame for it right? LOL
joy

Corte Madera, CA

Mark, of course.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Annapet, obviously!

Corte Madera, CA

Basil, Thyme, Rosemary ~ All EB-Grown. Fingerling Potatoes grown in SmartPots.

Avocado omelette (background).

Thumbnail by Moonglow
Crestview, FL

Looking real good. Went to fry up some catfish, okra and french fries last night and this deep fryer decided it had breathed it's last breath. (groan). Managed to fry everything up the old fashioned way, in a skillet.
joy

A fond farewell to the last of the CP's for the year. Now it's Tuscan kale, broccoli, swiss chard. Not quite as colorful but just as tasty. In EB's of course. LOL

Thumbnail by
Crestview, FL

The perfect way to eat the last tomato of the year. Sigh, I miss my tomatoes already, think I'm addicted to them now.
joy

Me too Joy. I still have celebrities. :)

Crestview, FL

Only thing left from my summer garden is 2 eggplants, 2 bell peppers and my okras and it 51 degrees out tonight, so think they are probably history soon too. LOL
joy

Corte Madera, CA

seray, thanks for sharing. wow, CPs...can't wait to grow them.

joy, did you get to freeze or can your tomatoes? between what i grew (and mark's) winter will be ok, i believe. his sauce recipe worked really great with my chili, and i'm trying some today for bisque (i use butternut squash to give my tomato bisque body).

mark, you're a 10, even neighbors agree =). what are you going to do with those figs they gave you???

have one EB exclusively for arugula.

have a great day, everyone!

FIGS fresh picked off the tree? -- I'd walk a mile for on my knees!

Crestview, FL

Moonglow: I didn't can any of mine, didn't keep them long enough, my crew and I ate every last one of them, I did give some away of course.
joy

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Quoting:
mark, you're a 10, even neighbors agree =). what are you going to do with those figs they gave you???

Is that a 10 out of 100? lol

They didn't give....I just took bags full :) He doesn't do anything with them. Just lets them rot on the tree or drop all over the driveway. The Fall harvest isn't near as good as it is in the Spring. Half of the figs drop without being ripe in the fall, while in the Spring very few drop that aren't ripe. I think that's normal for figs. Hell, after doing some reading. I learned I have absolutely no clue about Fig Trees.

Quoting:
FIGS fresh picked off the tree? -- I'd walk a mile for on my knees!

LOL lucky for me I only have to walk about 100 feet. I used to just pull a few off as I walked to the mailbox. But after talking to him he has no use for it, so it's now my fig tree :) They are amazingly sweet, even when not fully ripe. I wish I knew what variety it was. It's a big tree, about 25 ft. and the leaves are a weird light green color. Almost grayish-green. The figs themselves aren't the normal fig shape, more oblong without a neck. I'm on a mission to figure out what it is.

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

After reading more, I believe I have found out it's a JANICE SEEDLESS KADOTA FIG. The description is dead on.

So Ray,
Go pick me a box full. Use one 'a those UPS "if it fits, it ships" anywhere boxes for $9.95. Send me your addy in a dmail, and I'll send you the postage for shipping.

LMK.

Linda

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

You have Dmail Gg

Crestview, FL

Has anyone grown a dwarf pomegrante tree before? I saw a charge hit my cc from Henry Fields so my tree must be on it's way. I know nothing about them except my daughter wanted one right? LOL I think I'm going to plant it in a 5 gallon self watering bucket; but, what type fertilizer do I use?
joy

Joy,
I don't know a thing about it, except I can deduce that if it's a tree, you might wanna put it in a LOT larger container than 5 gallons. More like a 25-30 gallon, I would say...

Hi Joy

We have one in a 30 gallon container. Nice. Not old enough to set fruit. Limbs are kinda like a willow.

Corte Madera, CA

Mark, how about Fig-Glazed Cornish Hen? Ladies, he is amazing with his glazes, sauces and purees.

Joy, there's a guy in the other forum who makes uber big SWC. I agree with the ladies the tree has to go to a bigger container.

Here's my season-ender: Pineapple. It made quite an extraordinary first course. Waking up the palate for second course. I think it had a lot to do with the GZ-Jalapeno puree. I'm growing GZ again just for this...

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Thumbnail by Moonglow
Oceanside, CA(Zone 10a)

Pet, that's a good idea. Maybe I'll let you make it instead :) Sadly, as you know, tons of unripe ones are dropping :( At this rate only 10% are good quality. Hopefully, the Arborist will have some answers. Now I need Ideas for all the Guavas.

Joy, is this the one you ordered? http://www.henryfields.ca/product/Dwarf-Pomegranate/House_Plants

It says it gets only 2 ft. but like others are suggesting, I would use at least a 15-20 gallon container. 5 gallon would be fine for the short term but you would need to transplant it at some point.

Crestview, FL

That would be the one, I got it on sale along with a dwarf banana that won't get here til next year. Thanks. Is 10-10-10 ok?
joy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.