Veggie Garden Portraits

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Only one rule to post. Compositions must be growing in a Self Contained Veggie Garden. I call this one, "Portrait In Black". I think it speaks for itself.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2009 9:35 PM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Mequon, WI(Zone 4b)

LOL - very nice!

Stafford, VA(Zone 7a)

wow!!!!
It doesn't look real!!!!!

mommacat

We loved this photo. Very cool! :)

Thanks guys. It is only my third "perfect" veggie garden pic shot completely by accident. Even blown up larger the detail is still intact. Linda

Crestview, FL

Gymgirl: Beautiful.
joy

Thanks Joy! It looks a lot larger than it actually is. It's about 7" tall and 5" wide. Thank goodness it decided 2 sit on top of the bucket, 'cause it's propping up a good many branches! I have 4 eggplants averaging 6 fruits each. Parmesan, here I come!

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Crestview, FL

Gymgirl: You sound as bad as me there girlie, I keep checking with my trusty ruler every day to see if they are long enough to cut off the vine yet. Last year, growing eggplant would have been impossible I'd of thought for sure; but, this year I got em and waiting for that parmesan too, and Jerry's recipe also.
joy

Westerly, RI

ummmmmmm EGGPLANT PARM!!!! Your making me drool

Crestview, FL

iluvcatz: I've fixed eggplant once and so has my lil sister, got eggplant weeping again tonight for tomorrow eggplant parm. My daughter's friend had never had eggplant parm til I fixed it last time and now I'm fixing it again, he is anxious for it tomorrow night. LOL
joy

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

You all are so lucky. I would love some eggplant. That is beautiful Gymgirl.

Juanita

Westerly, RI

you should make some for me

Westerly, RI

that is a beautful squash you have and I'm not one to check out foods but omg!!! the color, shape size!! I WANT IT

Corte Madera, CA

Gymgirl, gorgeous indeed.

Here's a portrait (growing in SF Success Kit, waaaay to small for a Purple Calabash to grow). Very prolific.

Thumbnail by Moonglow

I'm ready for some of that Parmesan myself. Here's the romas in a 10 gal pot. :)

Thumbnail by

And when we get through we could have some biscuits with some Deep South Blue Ribbon sugar cane syrup. Growing in a 10 gal clay pot. LOL

Thumbnail by

Ya'll, these are some righteous veggie pics!

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

I am truly amazed at the edibles one can grow in a container. If only I had a bit more sun I would have them stacked to the sky!

Juanita

Corte Madera, CA

Gymgirl, my tomato forest is starting to HAPPEN! SWC portraits below:

http://moonglowgardens.wordpress.com/

Thanks!

moonglow, what type camera did you use for your pics? The clarity on the closeups is phenomenal! So is your forest BTW! Linda

Corte Madera, CA

hi, linda. (i still have eggplant envy, sigh...)

thanks! glad you approve of the portraits. i used nikon coolpix L100. it's a pretty good camera for everyday point and shoot projects.

http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-Camera/26170/COOLPIX-L100.html

hubby's gift from costco!

annapet

Crestview, FL

Moonglow: Those pics are really beautiful and the clarity is great. Good job.
joy

Hi Moonglow

Loved your pics! I'm sending the link to my DH. It'll drive him crazy. He's a photographer and a tomato nut. LOL

Corte Madera, CA

thanks, ladies =).

seray, i'd love to see your DH's online portfolio!

annapet

Corte Madera, CA

here's another one. 'black' russian heirloom, according to territorial seed company. i love these plants (growing 2). however, they are definitely bigger than the description, and they look different, too - - - size-wise. mine are not growing quite round.

http://www.territorialseed.com/product/1578/241

such a beautiful variety and very prolific. has more fruits than carbon and black krim. the latter, i think is too big to be grown in an EB.

Thumbnail by Moonglow

Hi Moonglow

I'm sorry I should've of said amateur photographer for my DH. Most of his work is hanging on my walls. He loves the macro flowers and has quite a portfolio.

Thumbnail by

Moonglow I grew Black Krims in my EB my very first season of veggie gardening in Spring 08. Huge vines, and huge, DELICIOUS fruits! I've finally found a stout enough trellis system to try that crop again. They, Pruden's Purple, and Cher Purple are my favorites! All can be grown in an EB with proper trelising. Linda

Corte Madera, CA

Thanks, Linda. I guess some varieties perform better in other places. Not that BK is not performing well. Others are just more prolific. I think my Black Krim suffered from stress. LOL. I think BK, since I love it also so, so much, will have its own special section in the garden. Other varieties in 15g SmartPots are also performing better than some of my EB varieties. I may let a few tomatoes sprawl (as nature intended) next year.

Oh, and I almost disobeyed the portrait rule...Below is 'Cherokee Chocolate' in the nude. Grown in an EB, of course. As big as a plate. Isn't she a dish? LOL.

Thumbnail by Moonglow

Ooops Stepped outta bounds. Sorry Gymgirl.

Here's our leaning tower of Romas. :)

Thumbnail by

Here's the Bambino Eggplant. These are good roasted. In an EB.

Moonglow I've been sharing your site with friends. Hope you don't mind.

Thumbnail by
Corte Madera, CA

seray, share away! thank you for spreading the word. lol. gosh, i have eggplant envy like you won't believe. linda started it.

awesome macro shot. i love macro shots. here are some before i switched to edibles. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/imagesbyuser.php?user=Moonglow

these cukes and nasturtiums are of course EB grown - - - as well as the basil. i'm a huge fan of companion planting. i love nasturtium flowers in salads. you have to try it!

annapet

Thumbnail by Moonglow

I love nasturtiums in salad too. I didn't plant any this year and miss them. Linda has me rethinking eggplant parmesan. My DH loves it. He's been in the garden with his camera ever since I showed him her bucket portrait. LOL So far we're getting lots of macro bugs.

I love the Tuscan rose shot. I've been looking at that rose to add to a new rose bed. So pretty. The ZZ shot is cool as well. I have a friend who prints up her water colors and sells them as note cards. She has a little following with no website. Your photos are so awesome do you have things like this to offer?

Here's the difference between my photos and his. LOL This is the little Bambino eggplant again.

Thumbnail by

No harm, no foul, Seray. Was that picture in a frame? We'll just consider that a "container."

Moonglow: That is one NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE Cher tomato! Just the meatiness and juiciness I crave in a tomato!

Crestview, FL

Moonglow: Those are great looking veggies, they look like they are edible right off the page, now I'm hungry again. LOL
joy

Corte Madera, CA

Thanks!

LOL, Linda. I was about to look for 'Cher' heirloom tomatoes, and realized you meant Cherokee...I love that!

Looks like I won't get to taste 'Black Prince' nor 'Green Zebra' - - - Ratzilla's favorite tomatoes.

Here's today's portrait: 'Death of a Tomato'

Thumbnail by Moonglow

LOLROTF! Moonglow, sorry for your loss.

Corte Madera, CA

Linda, Black Krim is uber delicious!!! Of course I could not wait to eat it. No photo of BK.

Here's Chocolate Cherry for now, Tomato Success Kit-Grown =).

Thumbnail by Moonglow
Crestview, FL

Moonglow: I was not particularly fond of the chocolate cherry. I have chosen the ones I'm growing next year, just need to find out where to buy the seeds or startings from now. Here goes: Potato Top (already have the seeds), Bush Beefsteak - Large, tasty, early fruit on a compact determinate bush, Celebrity - VFFNTA hybrid compact determinate with midsize early fruit, and Radiator Charlie's Mortgage Lifter - Only need to find where to get the seeds or startings from for this baby. Same with the Bush Beefsteak.
joy

Corte Madera, CA

Joy, re 'Chocolate Cherry' (CC) - - - is it because you generally do not like cherry tomatoes? I realize some varieties grow better in other areas. CC is packed with flavor here in Corte Madera where climate is temperate. I remember your garden had wet and dry spells.

TGS has 'Bush Beefstreak' tomato.

Here's 'Cuore Di Bue' an Italian heirloom tomato.

Linda, hubby bought me a new camera, Nikon Coolpix P90 and it's pretty cool.

Annapet

Thumbnail by Moonglow

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.