What's blooming today

Appleton, WI

The weather is getting warmer and after 4 days in the garden, I am relieved that rain is forecasted for the next 3 days -- my body needs the break and the laundry is piling up. Yesterday, while preparing a hole to transplant a boxwood, I found the roots to one of the clematis I ordered from Chalk Hill's closing sale. The root mass was about a foot from the original site, 6-8 inches deep and laying almost sideways. Unfortunately, the shovel cut off some of the roots. I potted it up and am keeping my fingers crossed that this beauty makes it...
http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=472

The light was good for taking photos late yesterday after the clouds moved in. My camera isn't the greatest, so a good shot always excites me.

HF Young - The plant stayed low this year. It's the second year, and going to be moved soon, but I wanted to see the blooms first.

Thumbnail by JuliaJayne
Appleton, WI

Actually, HF Young looks a little washed out, but it's close to the right color.

Carnaby is blooming. I have it in enough shade that the blooms don't fade much. Here is one opening... the color is good.

Thumbnail by JuliaJayne
Appleton, WI

Harlow Carr started blooming recently. I've taken so many pictures but I can't seem to capture how beautiful this plant is. It grows straight up the trellis and didn't need much tying. Even though Harlow Carr is considered a non-vining clematis, it did grab on in a few places, and needed only a little tying near the top.

Thumbnail by JuliaJayne
Appleton, WI

Here is a young Ville de Lyon. It's on the fence trying to compete with The President. It was planted late in fall right before winter set in and I was too cold to consider color combos at the time. While this isn't how I usually pair up clematis, and they will most likely be separated this year, but I like this photo.

Thumbnail by JuliaJayne
(Zone 4a)

Awesome photo's Julia.....I really like the combo of The President and VDL.

How many clematis do you figure you have in your gardens?

Delaware, OH

jj nice shots. hf young blooms low for a few years, hard to get blooms higher before year 3.
carnaby is nice. i like that clem more and more.
i have harlow carr, but first year, planted in spring this year so no blooms yet. i look forward to it and am glad to see yours. ville de lyon is a photogenic clem. best pics i have of clems are of this one, i like it with the darker purple clem too. in fact, last year i put a polish spirit near my biggest and oldest clem which is a ville de lyon...the colors remind me of koolaid when i was a kid. very nice.

rain killing my blooms today i am sure, it rained all night. but better than hail, right dawn?

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Very nice.Harlow Carr looks interesting for a spot I have in mind. How many years have you had it?
How are you planning to pair up VDL and the President, or rather how do you usually like to do combos?

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Julia..glad you showed a Pic of "Harlow Carr"..have been wondering about her performance..everything is looking so awesome...send some rain my way please...Jeanne

Delaware, OH

we had so much rain last night and more expected this afternoon, possibly with winds. i think i will be doing a lot of pruning by the weekend on 2's and 3's and even messy looking 1's. am going to go for a good late season and perfect 2010 vs all the hanging on to waterlogged blooms that are over the hill. i find even tho we have had what i call great spring and early summer weather except for these 2 massive downpours, that some of the clems are having a shorter bloom season. the 1's and early bloomers had a longer season this year, but for instance ville de lyon which grew and bloomed pretty much on sch is going to be waning in number and size of blooms faster this year.
and some just look beaten from the downpours.
my goal is always a tidy and healthy looking plant prioritzed over short term blooms and i think i can create a better late summer by being proactive this year and shaping up a lot of clems earlier than ususual or more agressively than usual.

Appleton, WI

Thanks Dawn. I have close to 40. I think my list is needs to be check though.

Bananna, Harlow Carr has been in the ground for 2 winters. So this will be its third summer. It did well the first year planted, I did not plant it deeper than the original soil line. I have not done any cutting back on it except to dead head because as it blooms all summer and I want to keep the plant looking good. Last year it bloomed until the first frost. It dies back to the ground so all I have to do is cut off all the dead vines in spring and do a minimal tucking and tying. As you can probably see, the stems are long enough for a vase.

In the past, I've been fairly conservative when combining colors, like my recent pairing of Etoile Violet and Blue Angel. My plans were to make a 24' section of fence all pinks, reds and white, but color of The President plays so well with other clematis that I might rethink my original plan.

Jeanne, My garden doesn't need the rain right now, but the Great Lakes still haven't fully recovered from the last 6 or so years of drought, so I try not to complain. I live in the Great Lakes Basin, about an hour west of Lake Michigan, so most weather systems that go over our area have an effect on the lakes and many head out over the lakes.

CG - great information on HF Young. I was going to move it into the border, but if will do better next year, then I'll probably leave it on the fence. It's a fantastic color.

I didn't expect that I would like Carnaby. Last year it fades badly and the blooms were too delicate. Maybe that was partly because it was getting too much sun. Now a viburnum gives it some relief from afternoon shade.

Ditto on wanting the clems to look tidy. I have been slowly removing faded looking flowers, but have plans on taking some time to really get rid of them this week, and those with just a few stems will get cut back hard and fertilized.

Appleton, WI

The last 2 years many of my clems were devastated by earwigs. I had a few that needed to be identified and wasn't sure what survived. Today, Ernest Markham, which the earwigs were partial to, bloomed for the first time in 2 years. I have seen the color referred to as glowing magenta, which is a pretty good description. It's a 4 year old plant, but has few stems - earwig pruning does not count towards a proper pruning. That one needs to but back severely too.

It needs to come off the fence. I think it would be good for brightening up a shrub. I was going to post a photo, but the sun is out.

What is blooming in your garden?

Delaware, OH

jj..ernest markham is another clem that attracts trouble. i have very inconsistent results with it. it needs perfect drainage, little insect temptation and not quite full sun, but a good bit of sun it is a red that bleaches out a bit.
i never recommend it , it cannot compare in vigor or ability to perform in the average garden with the rouge cardinal, the westerplatte, the huvi, let alone the vitacellas like jula c.

what did you do to control your earwigs? they go hand in had with slugs. i have only known earwigs to munch on th eflower buds, easy to spot and pretty easy to get rid of.

Appleton, WI

Interesting about Ernest Markham. Mary Toomey states that it's somewhat shy to flower in abundance in some gardens. Sounds like it could be a candidate for removal when I run out of room. I don't want more problem clematis.

I had a very big problem with earwigs the past few years - it was almost like a plague. They were throughout the garden, everywhere, and feasted on almost every flower and every plant. I would find them on the new growth tips on the clematis, so I saw very few of my clematis last year. I try not to use pesticides, especially because I have seen bumble bees hiding in the vines at night, so I'd go out with a flashlight and insecticide soap and spray each earwig. One summer, in the span of a week, I probably killed close to 1000 earwigs and that didn't solve the problem. It was horrific. Last year I did use a pesticide because there were large nests of them at the base of many of the plants. I hated to do it, but they were so out of control.

I don't know why this year is different, but I'm sure the weather play a major roll.

This year, aphids are my main insect problem, but it's much more manageable than earwigs.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

CG, you say earwigs are pretty easy to get rid of.....what do you use? I don't live too far from JuliaJayne and we have tons of them too. They especially seem to like my Henryii.

JJ, hope you don't mind me posting a few pics of mine on your thread....

Daniel Deronda has huge flowers this year. This was my first clem given to me as a cutting by my neighbor.

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I have a couple of Perrin's Pride. I have to agree with a comment made by CG on a different thread - they should be more widely used because they're beautiful.

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Crystal Fountain is just a blooming machine. I have them on a chain link fence and they bloom like crazy on both sizes of the fence.

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Nelly Moser was just planted last fall. Here is her first flower.

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Piilu - another planted last Fall as a suggestion from Debbie at SS. This is just an adorable clem!

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Bijou is a miniature from SS. Only grows about 1-1/2 ft. I have it in a container.

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Ice Blue has huge flowers this year too. The picture lost the faint blue tint but this is a gorgeous clem!

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
(Zone 4a)

Oh la la such beauty!! Great clematis photo's Gold! What a great way to wake up. Thanks!

Delaware, OH

goldfinch, re earwigs. bug getta plus. good drainage. there are a couple of products that do earwigs and snails......you have to use them frequently. i hate using pesticides, but if you have earwigs you have to get rid of them. holes in flower buds are chewed and very visible.
there are natural methods with earwigs such as trays of beer or oil.....but i do not know how effective they are, and i do know they are gross and disgusting.

love that ice blue pic. i just planted a small one this year, so i can look forward to it next year and beyond.

jj the english are subtle, "shy to flower" means it is not floriferous.

goldfinch, love those clems. i have most of them and you have some great choices there.

Appleton, WI

Goldfinch, I'm glad to see your photos, and especially seeing that Piilu and the others grow well for you. Now I must add Bijou to my want list.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Goldfinch..how beautiful...it is so funny how clematis can perform so differently in different zones and different climates...I have two Ernest Markhams and they both are fabulous performers for me and have a heavy bloom cycle in Spring and spit out blooms off and on all season long..I concur with "Perrin's Pride" ..I have two of him and they are wonderful and should be utilized more in people's gardens..Jeanne

Delaware, OH

in northern zones ernest markham is hardy but not vigorous. meaning you can't kill it , but hard to get much from it.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I got excited about Bijou. So pretty, blue and small.....all the criteria for one special place. ....but not my zone :(

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Beautiful blooms Julia and goldfinch. The President and VDL do make a very energetic combo. Like you, I wouldn't have thought to pair them, but after seeing your pic, I will rethink that. Very Nice!

Goldfinch those are some very large blooms. I'm still waiting on my DD to bloom. Thanks for giving me something to look forward to.

Delaware, OH

i love ville de lyon with a dark purple. i have it with polish spirit this year. it reminds me of koolaid flavors when i was a kid.

New Richmond, OH

I'm thinking of putting VDL with Blue Bell...same sorta look? Has anyone tried a combo with Blue Bell?

Appleton, WI

Bananna - why do you think that Bijou won't grow in your zone? The nurseries use a standard "safe zone". I bet it would do fine. If it sulks in the heat, move it to an east exposure.

Appleton, WI

Thanks Venu, all clematis are beautiful, aren't they?

This message was edited Jun 19, 2009 3:35 AM

Appleton, WI

Punky, Ville de Lyon seems to be one of those clematis that works well with other clems. I think it would nicely pick up the reddish undertone of blue belle.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

On COTW bit says zone 6 7, but on SSV it is up to zone 9. I guess It is good for my zone. I wonder why the discrepancy...?

Appleton, WI

I think it's probably incorrect on CotW. Before ordering from SSV, you could talk to Debbie about it.

Newton, MA

Took this photo yesterday, and its been my favorite photo this season. I'm pretty new to gardening, but I got this clematis last year and it has doubled in size and is lush and full of blooms now. Once they go... I get another round of blooms in late summer early fall. Anyone have any idea on the name of it and how it should be pruned? You know as a # 1 , 2 or 3? much appreciated. Enjoy.

Thumbnail by jep2075
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Wow, that is a beautiful photo. New to gardening? You must have a green thumb - very nice. Welcome to the clem forum.

(Zone 4a)

Julia I keep seeing your photo of the HF young in your thread and I keep drooling! The colour is so pretty!!!! Love it!

Appleton, WI

I love the blooms too. It's not a very strong plant this year. The whole plant is only about 2 feet high. I might move it and let it be a sprawler.

(Zone 4a)

Really? I am sort of disappointed in hearing that since I put this one on my tuteur hoping for good things next year. Hmmmm.

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Dawn, it might do just fine by itself. Mine did the same as Julia's this year, but I think Huldine the Hog was really overpowering HF Youngs space.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.