I'm in Montrose, CO...

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

I've migrated from Humboldt Co, CA back to Montrose, CO with my crowd of critters and a few of my special plants. It's a temporary stop - soon I should be heading on to FL to a new home and adventure, hopefully within the next ten days. Would anyone on the western slope be interested in getting together, perhaps adopting some of the plants that I will not be able to take on with me?

I have some potted glads, callas, cranesbill, sedum, maybe two clematis (*sigh*), this and that.... I also have divisions of Walker's Low Nepeta, Coronation Gold yarrow, Maximillian sunflower....- they've done magnificently well here from when I was a permanant resident in the last century. :-) If you have a greenhouse, have a couple of Cape Phygelius, and can offer cuttings of Batface Cuphea.

I had a hard time leaving my gardens in Humboldt, so this is what the front of my travel trailer looked like on April 22 when I pulled out....Don't know what I was thinking. I even brought a big bucket of my worms....(along with 7 dogs and a cat....)

:-)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Where is the photo? Sounds very interesting.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi 4paws... I know what it's like to leave prized plants behind, I had to do a lot of that when we downsized and moved here last October (from Arizona). I too gave a lot away, as many of them wouldn't have over-wintered here. I'm quite a ways from you, in Dolores, CO (near Cortez), but if you're heading this way I would love to help you re-home some of your plants. BTW, we also have a "menagerie"... 5 dogs and 2 cats. Travel safe!

Brenda

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Hi Laura,
I'm glad you've safely finished the first leg of your journey. Good luck finding a nice new place in Florida and homes for some of your extra plants. The Florida DG folks are generous and will set you up with plenty of new plants to replace the ones you had to leave behind.
Janel

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

I well know the generous nature of DG members...of gardeners in general, perhaps. Before I left CA, I ran an ad on craigslist...folks came in trucks from as far as 100 miles and it was fun, actually...they were enthusiastic and happy and filled their pots, bags, and boxes and paid me what they could afford.

I still left much in the ground because it wasn't the right time to dig - hopefully the folks staying there will be sure the lilies and other lovelies find homes as I don't think anyone else will be moving in soon....

Here's the photo of the trailer, ready to roll...more underneath....worms packed into my uhaul, Vincent....

Right now my Venosa Violacea is blooming and wishing it could climb more than it's small support; Earnest Markham is getting ready (poor thing has had a couple of inadvertant prunings). Both clematis have other plants in their pots - ajuga Chocolate Chip, little daisy ground cover that I can't remember the name of, fleeceflower, wormwood, pineapple sage (from a 6' tall parent), bacopa...I packed the pots full of little plants as possible. The last morning I ran around digging daffs and divisions.... The glads could be planted in their pots in the ground and I think the phygelius would do well in a pot with good winter protection.

Didn't get to GJ yet, and I would love to be able to take a ride to Dolores, Brenda. It's a pretty ride that I'd take often when I lived here and did craft shows/flea markets in the region. The latest news on the closing of my house in FL is that it could take 6 more weeks....there's a problem with the title that is fixable, but it could take a while. Probate stuff...

Thumbnail by 4paws
Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Only a gardener would pack their worms. :)

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Crazy...but I'm attached and I gave many away. Playing in my worms gives me some sense of tranquility....lol...Still, it's REALLY hard to maintain everything here. No good water, and rain is minimal...if I have to wait 6 weeks to move in, I should let my plants go to other homes...it's in their best interest.

This is the pineapple sage that I had to bring along; also the wormwood...

Thumbnail by 4paws
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Enjoyed the picture of your travel trailer. Do you sleep in it? Looks like a real operation to get in bed and to cook breakfast. Moving is hard. I understand having to take so much with you, but I doubt if I would have brought the worms. I sort of have a feeling that worms are universal. I could be wrong, though. At least you are safe rather than sorry.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Earthworms are not native to the Americas. If the Europeans handn't packed them up when they moved we would not have them here. ;)

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm attached to the compost they make. There aren't many worms here, only in the garden I made when I lived here years ago, and they are far and few between. In CA, every trowelful of soil turned up 3-6 fat worms. Florida has a native earthworm, but I've read that most of North America does not and that these worms are actually descendants of European immigrant worms. :-)

Where the plants were is the dining table (which could also be a bed). There is a fixed double bed in the back, where there is also a door out (two doors in my 22' trailer) with the bathroom and galley kitchen in between. I've been cooking & showering in my friend's house, but use the trailer otherwise.

There is a field of these little beauties near here...the wildflowers have been gorgeous this year, better than any year I remember when I lived here.

Thumbnail by 4paws
Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

dparsons, you verified my reading....I'm thinking about setting up a small worm ranch when I settle - keep my gardens and my neighborhood supplied in compost.

The field of orange.

Thumbnail by 4paws
Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I see your cat found a cozy spot :) For some reason when Xavier travelled with me he liked to sleep in his litter box all day and hold it until he could go outside on his leash.

Is it the same house with the roof problems?

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

No, a different one, bigger with twice the land but in the same neighborhood. I decided the one with roof problems had too many problems, and when I saw it in person, it was too congested of a neighborhood. The one I'm waiting on was about the same money, .83 acre, doublewide with 3 br/2baths, 3 wells, 4 septics, fenced all the way around with 1/4 fenced again, three sheds, fruit trees, live and water oaks, HUGE gardenia bushes (oh my oh my...I have one in a pot, btw), and woods on two sides. :-) It has a metal roof, too, plus a carport and a FL room (screen room added on, perfect for doggies, though they have the run of my house). Less traffic, too, as it's the last place on pavement, and it's walking distance to my friend's house. :-)

The title problems are correctable, but could take as long as 6 weeks to do so since it involves dead owners in more than one state....and a mistake the attorney made last time it was sold.

I'm a little worried about how to transport Radar the cat. She doesn't use a litter box. I gave her one for the ride from CA to CO, but she didn't use it, she used my christmas cactus instead. She also had the trailer to ride in, but I'll be in a sedan with three dogs and Radar towing a small utility trailer. Vincent Van Can Go won't be coming to FL until November or so - my good friend here is keeping three of my dogs and driving Vincent down then. He has family in FL to visit while he's there. (Plus he's just a really good person and great friend).

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Hmm, maybe a bit of dirt mixed in with the litter would make it smell right to her. Xav disdains the litterbox and only uses it for dire emergencies. Kind of like the portapotties at the county fair.

It's sounds like you found a nice place for gardens and beasties.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Sounds like a great new place. I could use .83 acres with 3 wells even if all I had was a large tent!

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Yes, I've hit the jackpot, more or less. :-) Gardening and critters in an affordable home were my two main considerations, followed by mild winters....and within an easy commute to a college/university/metro area without living in it. Gainesville is 25 miles north, Ocala about half that south. I'm really looking forward to it. The wells are such a bonus, PLUS, the home has excellent gutters already installed, so I'll be able to collect rainwater, too. The wells are shallow and generally have high iron in the water. I don't know what that does for plants, but I know they adore rainwater. I think my glads grew 3" today because I gave them rainwater. :-)

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

4paws, we own a small RV Park, our home is above the office/laundry/showers, etc. Although we are nearly fully booked this summer, if you decide to head this way, we might be able to accomodate you depending on your timing, and I'd be happy to trade a few nights stay to re-home some of your plants. Let me know... and good luck with your new home in Florida! It sounds lovely! (Ahhhh, gardenias, one of my all time favorites!).

Brenda

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

And in Florida, there will be plenty of rain to collect.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Sounds like a nice place. If it was in NM I would want to move in.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi 4paws ^_^ I'm soooo with you about my compost. Dave who is Dave are you serious!?!?!? "Earthworms are not native to the Americas" Even the big heebie, jeebie ones????

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

There are earthworms native to America and there are others that are imported from Europe. I looked it up. See the answers on "The Straight Dope".

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1916/whats-the-story-on-north-american-earthworms

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Good info. I'm going to believe that the big heebiejeebie worms are hardy Canadian stock that survived the ice age.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Since I can only distinguish two types of earthworms, I can't argue that the big heebiejeebie worms are not Canadian.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Obviously the heebiejeebie worms are in Canada. I have not seen any.

I'll have to go inform my source that he was wrong too.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The big heebiejeebie worms mostly live in the compost hole. Maybe they evolved from composting all the dinosaurs that perished in the ice age? When my DH turns it (kiss kiss cuz I have a bad back) even he notices how big they are. I just luv them even though they give me the heebiejeebies.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

I'd like to see photos of those worms! Do you see them anywhere other than in your compost pile?

Here's a different source regarding earthworms and their native status in NA...particularly north.
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/terrestrialanimals/earthworms/index.html

Brenda, thank you for the offer. I don't plan to move my trailer again, it's going to stay here. I won't need it in FL because I'll have a house, so I'll be selling it to the friend who has the property here and he'll have it for a guest "house." At least that's the plan at the moment.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I will photo them for sure 4paws if we can catch them at the surface. You know how compost holes go. They subsurface in a flash when you dig unless you accidently cut them in half (sorry all that sounds really awful, but when you turn the compost sometimes you accidently cut some worms sigh) I have spread them in garden by virtue of spreading the compost 4paws but after I only see a few in the deep shade beds. I think because of my clay soil they migrate to to the compost. Note my compost is the old fashioned hole in the ground compost. No added worms or compost accelerated stuff . Just organic waste from my garden and kitchen and the heebiejeebie worms.
OMG I can't believe it, but I feel I have to apologize cuz have a hole in the ground compost with nothing fancy/dancy. Guess it's a sign of the times with all the new fabby composters sigh.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

The hole in the ground is a great way to compost, dahlia. I used to do it that way, but in my current house one can't really dig a very deep hole in the ground so I do the pile on top the ground -- equally unfashionable and low tech. But guess what, both work like crazy. I have tried various of the hi tech composting methods and have gone back to the old fashioned pile on top the ground. Would do hole in the ground but Dr. has forbidden my use of the pick ax.
Here we get red wigglers whenever we pile up manure or leaves. No need to purchase them and they do survive our winters, though I am quite sure they can't handle Minnesota winters.
Who would have thought there would be so much controversy about plain ole' earthworms? Anyhow. I haven't bought any, though I know those who have. I just pile up some leaves and manure and next thing I know the worms are reducing them to beautiful fine soil. Can't beat it with a stick.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

No worries, 4paws, if plans change you are welcome to stop by! As for earthworms, we had some enormous ones when I was a kid growing up in a rural area outside of Buffalo, NY. My brother even sold worms for fisherfolk. The worms lived everywhere around our house.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Have a good trip 4paws. That potted glad you are taking along with you, is it that huge Plum Tart you were talking about on the glad forum? I love that!

Anyways I hope you and yours have a safe and fun trip to the other side of the country. What an adventure...

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Indeed. Have a great trip. I am sure you will have a lot of fun with the animals and, eventually, Vincent Van Go. Your new home sounds wonderful.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

:-) Thank you.
Pluto, I send the giant corm of Plum Tart to rubyw. These are others from the same property - some were really big, but I don't know what colors they'll be. I've got a good handful of baby corms that I didn't plant (cormlets?) yet, too.

I don't have fancy compost, either...what I don't want to give to my worms gets flung...in Hoopa it was off the deck into the woods. In fact, flinging was somewhat theraputic at times...lol

A view from the deck in Hoopa....and Plum Tart. I love that glad, too! Spectacular, espcially the one that grew over 7' tall.

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Hmmm...error message that it was the wrong format...try again.

Thumbnail by 4paws
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Ah, that is a beauty! Is this the back yard where you threw things?

Citra, FL(Zone 9a)

Yep....organic stuff, not just regular trash. :-) It all seemed to decompose pretty quickly.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.