What's Happening in Your neighborhood-visit with friends #19

Victoria Harbour, ON

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/988518/

Morning from rainy Barrie....calling for much the same all week..
How are the gardens coming? I'm just starting now to see flowers bloom..exciting isn't it...

For any of you who has not viewed Ann's Utube clip, please go back to previous thread, am sure you'll enjoy!

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well, one more night that has a risk of frost. Hopefully that will be it for the cold nights. Here's a pic of one of my favorite spring globe flowers.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Victoria Harbour, ON

OMG they are beautiful..cold here today as well, you'd swear that it was late October...brrrr....let's hope we'll all be enjoying summer weather come weekend..

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Joanna .. MY GOSH .. what lovely flowers .. look like a cross between a Rose and a Peony .. just awesome !!!

We fer sure will FROSTY UP here tonight despite MAJOR cloud cover .. have just come in at 5:30pm .. the furnace is running and the temp outside is only about MAYBE 52F and falling fast cuz a wind has come up.
Again in with the baskets and flats of yet to be planted Annuals (not purchased by me) LoL . remember I said .. ' NO ANNUALS for me this year " !!!

I made a rhubarb/BLUEBERRY coffee cake today .. what happened was I had LOTS of rhubabrb, and some blueberries that SO needed to be used .. so .. I tossed'em into the recipe .. turned out REAL well :o)
Tomorrow its Peanut butter cookies .. can ya tell I have company coming LoL

Enjoy your evening everyone

~M~

OOPS .. PS Betty .. thanks for MOVIN US on over ^_^

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Your bake goods sure are yummy..drats it's still cold out there this morning..overcast but sun is trying to shine...can't believe by the weekend we'll be mid-June and really no spring weather to speak of...

Felt wonderful about no pain after the bike-a-thon for the cure Kyle did but today I'm sitting with left leg up, paining to beat the dickens..old age catching up...I was told I was the eldest on the run..don't like hearing those things..nope...

I've class tonight and then tomorrow morning I've got cat scan then leaving for Toronto..going to apply for my passport..I'm never a procrastinator, always jumping in with both feet, don't know why I kept putting off getting it, guess I believed it would never come to this..lol..wrong...so have application and documents ready, worth the 100 mile drive one way to NOT have to leave my birth certificate and other documents..think it's 2 - 3 week waiting time..can pay extra to get it quicker but I'm not going anywhere in the next few weeks, can wait...

We have had such a MIXTURE of weather here today !!! Rain most of the morning .. then sun for an hour .. then a thunderstorm !!
RCMP Musical Ride here tonight and tomorrow night (out here in Murillo) .. gonna be a toss up re the weather .. I have seen it before so am staying home .. the BUG situation will be atrocious I am SURE ...

Have spent my day CLEANING and baking .. and tomorrow I will be DONE .. company arrives Friday around noon .
I washed 1200 sq feet of floors !!! LOVE a Ranch Style home until it comes to washing the FLOORS !!!

Betty I hope your leg/back pain eases . as for the passport .. I did mine in April .. make sure you READ all about what documentation and PROOF you need .. Bonne chance !!!!

Best go work a cullinary wonder with Cod !!

~M~

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

We have the parents overnight so they can go to the VIA rail office in the morning. There's a deal on with Via that if you were a member of the Canadian military and a senior, you can travel on the train FREE. They both are veterans to they are going just past Ottawa and back starting early July.

Was a good thing to have my dad here tonight, I found a wasp nest the size of an orange attached under the water hose hanger thingy. I'd seen a huge wasp for a couple of weeks but thought he was hiding under the hose and was disturbed when I moved the hose, now I know why. Very glad to get that gone.

I hope you're all feeling better and have summer arriving asap.

Linda

Looking 'promising' out there today .. I have yet to check our weather ..

Lorna had the oil changed in her car yesterday .. WELL .. the guy peeked up at her and asked her to get out of the car and come take a look under the hood .. there (where her air filter USED to be) was a MASS of chewed up air filter material being used by a family of SQUIRRELS as a nest .. no wonder her car has been acting sorta 'under the weather' !!!! Gonna have to keep an eye on that fer sure .. on all the vehicles.

WASPS!! UGgggggg .. glad you got shed of the nest Linda .. irritating little beggars are they .. have often wondered what their 'purpose' in life is .. thought perhaps 'FORCING human fitness' because they can make us run REAL fast !!!
Not to mention the range of motion exercises from waving our arms about trying to get them AWAY from us LoL

Best head out for the paper .. the Red Wing Black Birds are VERY loud out there this morning .. too bad they only have ONE note to sing !!

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning...dropping in on the run..cat scan this morning then off to Toronto to apply for passport..don't know why I procrastinated so much..really thought it wouldn't come to this..needing passport go cross over to USA but we do..feel like a prisoner not being able to say I'm going over for the night..lol..that will teach me..

Overcast here this morning..did not listen to the news to see what the day will bring, should do before dressing though..aren't you finding you dress a few times a day not knowing if it will be spring or late fall weather?

Enjoy your day... yuk to the wasps Linda, can't remember if it was wasps that I bought the imitation globes to duplicate their homes ....hung it in the trees and haven't had a problem since...guess I should get them out again

Red Wing Black birds are singing for you "M" I sent them you r way to sing you a pretty song..enjoy the 1 note..

Talk later, enjoy the sunshine today, wether it be outside or in your life...

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the move to a new link. To whomever asked, no, that wasn't me directing. That was Susan Carscadden-Mifsud on the first and Tim Waugh on the second video. In the first video, at the very beginning when it focuses on one group of ringers, those are my group and I'm right in the middle 5 on either side of me. I didn't ring there for that video though. I was ringing bass bells - 3rd from the right on the first video and for the second, I WAS in the middle.

Just got 3 hours in the garden. Am regretting saying I would be available for a music event this weekend. It will take a rehearsal tonight, one tomorrow and all Saturday afternoon and it's not something that will pay me either. There's so much gardening to be done!

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Was some trying that amazing grass that was advertised to grow on cement? How did it turn out?

We had one of those fake wasp nests, about 10 feet away from where the nest was. Ours was a very light blue. We've heard today that wasps are territorial about there nests, and will stay away from the same colour nests only, other colours don't work as a deterrent. I guess we need to get a grey one.

Cheryl worked in the garden for about 5 hours today. Got lots done but will be needing an epsom salts and lavender bath for the aches.Glad she did so much work, I nursed a headache all day.

Linda

I am HUMBLED to the MAX .. !!! VCARS had their AGM tonight (Annual General Meeting) .. I vassilated re going and not going , but, in the end I 'got dressed and went'. Good thing I did .. I rec'd a very prestigious award named after a VCARS volunteer from TBay who passed away in 2007 following a losing battle with Ovarian cancer.
I was nominated by other VCARS volunteers .. the award was given by the Mom and sister of the volunteer who passed away. I was (for the first time in my life) at a loss for words !!!

A 'passable' day here in TBay .. rain off and on .. increased humidity .. AND ... that brings on .. BLACK FLIES !!!! UGggggg ...

Company arrives via WestJet tomorrow at noon .. am gonna be one busy lil dudette for 10 days !!! Will pop in as often as possible though.
Also heard that family from the States will be arriving at the end of June (not staying with me though) ..
HEY .. must be SUMMER !!!! ???

~M~

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Congratulations, Marilynne. I'm sure it's a well-deserved award. How nice that you received it. Enjoy your visitors.

Glenda - I've seen those fake wasp nests at Rona and Lee Valley Tools, but they are a bunch bigger than any real wasp nests I've seen around here. I always wondered if they'd work.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Growing grass on cement - someone was, in Thread # 18, but I can't remember who - someone in Ontario, I think.
I haven't planted mine yet - have to get rid of more ladders lol
Actually am thinking of clearing out some wood chips in our pathway to the back, to grow the grass there.

Joanne - what a Beautiful Yellow Spring Globe flower!

Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Marilynne, I'm sure your caring and empathy shows through to all those you are near and dear to. Wonderful that you were recognized.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn - How wonderful for you!
You work so hard for the VCARS - congratulations!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone .. as I said .. i am 'humbled' .. I believe in VCARS and enjoy working with the other volunteers ..

Company has arrived .. flight from Toronto was flawless .. but.. having been up since 4am they are tired !!!!

Lorna's boss had bad news today .. his Dad passed away .. northeast of TBay .. so .. things here are kinda in a bit of a mush .. makes life intersting to say the least ..

Enjoy your weekend

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

"M" you certainly deserved that award..congratulations...
Sorry to hear about Lorna's boss's dad...puts a damper on their holiday..did you say they were visiting for 1 week?

Linda, we won't go there...I'd be lucky if 10 blades of grass grew...wouldn't waste my money on it...should know these commercial never tell the entire truth..maybe in the testing labs under the best of conditions it does but not in my yard...

It will be in the low 20's today, overcast but still better than snow or rain..just went to purchase some bags of quickcrete for rhubbarb leaves, a few more stepping stones for the back and of course had to stop at a few lawn sales..one piece wanted to come home with me (well maybe 4 or 5) it's a bronze/black metal type table..thought it would look great having a plant on it and would compliment the door with the metal mirror art piece...

Before I lose steam, best I go next door and cut rhubbarb..a treat for supper from the stalk, and stepping stones from the leaves...
what could be better...

Enjoy your day everyone...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria, BC(Zone 8b)

Looks lovely Betty, and thanks for warning me about the grass. I guess the old adage of 'if it's sounds too good to be true...'

Another lovely day here. Took Cooper to one of the local lakes where he and another dog had a run in. Quite literally. They ( both black labs ) both jumped for Coopers ball and their heads collided. Cooper got the ball as well as a cut chin and he bit his lip. He bled for a bit before it stopped. The other dog seemed like he had a sore mouth as well but no blood. It's later now, and he's fine, can't even see where he was bleeding from.

It's our watering night, I best get out there.

Linda

Victoria Harbour, ON

Linda, that could have been tragic...are you on specified watering days already...we got those but only in summer drought...

Going to be a gorgeous day here..imagine 2 in a row, unheard of this season so far..lol

Didn't have a list of 'to do's' but it seems I've no problem filling in my days..

Sun is peeping through the window, have some sewing to do so think I'll get it done until the dew is off the ground and then it's play outside time...

Company arrived on Friday as planned, and it seems that I have not stopped !!
All good though, and the folks are SO not into being busy sight seeing etc which is wonderful. They love to just sit outside (THANK YOU MOTHER NATURE) and enjoy the birds and wonderful weather we have FINALLY been blessed with. They'll be here for 10 days .. leave on Father's Day.
Just put a rhubarb pie in the oven and am getting settled in to cut up the vegetables to start slow cooker pea soup.
Going to be 23C and sunny today ..

I love the look of that table Betty, and, you're right .. a plant would look awesome on it. As usual it seems you have been busy .. but .. enjoyably so.

Linda .. BC has some wicked high temps .. family in Summerland have been saying it's in the high 20s low 30s there.
SO happy to hear Cooper is OK. Both big dogs with hard noggins .. must have been quite the scare.

Best get to choppin !!

Toodles

~M~

Grand Forks, BC(Zone 5b)

Here in BC's Southern Interior it is the norm to be hot and dry. We have been on the odd/even watering schedule since April. Only able to water from 7-9 in the morning and evening on our specified day. Forest fire hazard is high and the snow pack from the past winter is low. We definitely have a need for watering schedules; it's a pain sometimes, but necessary.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I haven't planted the "grass" yet Linda, but I read the instructions, and it says to keep it moist for at least the 1st 7 days. If you're on water rationing, that would be difficult, of course.
I have such a tiny area that it's not going to be a problem, though, so we'll see how it goes.......

We've sold 4 of the 12 plus ladders, so hopefully I'll be able to plant the grass LOL We actually need the space to plant it, without big male feet tromping it every day

Susan

Victoria Harbour, ON

You've done well with your ladders, keep them listed..just think you might even get to landscape the area once the grass has grown...

"M" how long will your company be staying for or did you say and I forgot..lol..rhubbarb pie, yummy/yummy.. I needed leaves for my cement stepping stone stairs I was doing so cooked up the rhubbarb..forgot I had it in the refrigerator, must eat it tonight...of course I'll have more because I need more leaves tonight so I can rid myself of 2 more bags that I'm driving around in my trunk...

Not that I needed more leaves, but I decided into a little hidden garden area through one of the 3 arbors I could probably make a staircase...so did some digging..will add one more step to the bottom

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

From the photo the stairs all look on level ground but they are about 6" high...left the leaves to dry then they lift off in skeleton style..each leaf took 1 entire bag of cement...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Wouldn't open??? will try again..want some ground cover planted around them...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Not sure why these photo's won't open..will take photo tonight to give you an idea of what I'm up to..

To make an almost perfect weekend even more perfect...my eldest son Greg came over to get the Foxy Lady back on the trailer, serviced and ready for the water....thank goodness for kids...my side lawn almost feels bare without this big art piece that has been on it since fall..lol

Left the house early, with early morning sunshine I thought I would take the back roads, enjoy the scenery and got to Barrie 45 minutes earlier than I needed to be, well, there was a nursery open, why not go browse..quite a lot of plants and shrubs that I could bring home but ended up interested in a Japanese Kerria, there was not planting info on the tag, just the name tag, bought it anyway..pretty yellow flowers already in bloom...surprise/surprise...this little shrub can grow as high at 6' and as wide as 6'..so guess it won't get planted in the little space I was thinking of putting it...

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Hiya ... the folks are here for 10 days Betty .. leave on Fathers Day.
Am getting ready for a bit of sight seeing today .. then dinner out .. for THAT I am happy as I have been cooking for 5 or 6 since last Friday .. have so MANY leftovers in the fridge !!!
Gonna get some ideas as to where to take the Gnomes when they come back through :-)

Like your steps Betty .. I have a brand of Rhubarb called 'Elephant Ear' HUGE leaves .. would send you some but haven't quite figured out how as of yet.

Best get a bustle on

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Enjoy your day "M" having company however nice it is can be tiring...omg rhubbard elephant ears..how I'd love some..had 2 bags of cement left in my trunk, drove up and down the streets after work last night on my way home until I saw a yard with rhubbarb..knocked at their door and said please,please may I have 3 rhubbarb leaves..thank goodness they decided to help this old gal..got home and made 3 more..my car said 'thank you'

Because I got home and didn't go in, sit just in and change and out again, I was able to get the entire yard cut, was already cut on Friday but as a neighbor asked if she could bring a group of seniors for tea one day this week to enjoy my gardens thought it needed cutting..

Yesterday morning I stopped into a nursery and bought a pretty shrub with yellow flowers...didn't have any info on the tag just a name tag..Japanese Kerria..bought it, came to the office and looked it up..wow, grows up to 6' tall and 6' wide and lives approx 50 years...not a little shrub so had to rethink where to put it... so had to dig up another another little area..by 9pm Sailor girl was getting impatient..time for bedtime treats..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

siiiiiiiiiiiigh Betty - what a perfectly Lovely place to sit and enjoy.
not a senior, YET, however........ I wish I could sit in your garden & enjoy a cuppa!
:-)

-Susan-

Victoria Harbour, ON

You'd be more than welcom Susan...it's a glorious day here, can't wait to get home and play..I've brought material in for some swaps I'm doing, as least I can cut out blocks to entertain myself...lol...

Awesome garden area Betty .. guess you're handy with a trimmer !!! I can't hardly hold that darned thing let alone make it work effectively !!

Careening through intricasies of life here :o) Took Lorna's parents, her elderly Aunt and my elderly Aunt out for dinner last night for Seafood .. As much as restaurants say they are geared to accomodate the handicapped .. well .. they aren't .. both Aunts use walkers, and the space between tables to get to our table was a slalom course of Olympic class .. lol ... everyone was quite nice though .. moving to let us by .. and the food was nothing short of amazing .. AND .. I didn't have to cook !!
Another night out tonight .. then it'll be a breeze for the last 3 and a half days of the visit .. well .. except for Friday when I have the nerve conduction studies on my hands .. am thinking that that may turn into a Chinese Food night !!
The weather has been lovely .. sunny and 23C the last 3 days ..

Take care all .. enjoy your gardens ..

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Glad you enjoyed your outing with the Aunts "M"..guess we don't realize what a roadblock it is for many to go out for a simple dinner when you are handicap..thought we passed by-laws making it manditory to have areas for them...guess not all restaurants have the space..but entry into them are provided...

Your visitors will soon be leaving and you'll be wondering what to do with yourself..are they the same couple that came last year?

News yesterday Thunderbay was included in the top 7 cities hit in this financial crunch..did your city ever get the contract they were hoping for..was it making buses for Toronto?

Gardens are beautiful but still mostly green, taking a bit to flower this year, between cold spells and rain..speaking of rain, think they are calling for it for the next 3 or 4 days..yuk...

Best I get ready to go to Barrie..talk later..
Hope it's a sunshine day in your neck of the woods...

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Next to some of your gardens, mine is a tiny flea speck LOL
Maybe someday I'll have a "proper sized" garden and I can "go nuts" with it!

Don't get me wrong - I love my private deck, but I can't do anything other than prune the trees (belong to the city) and maintain the yard, cuz it's sooooo tiny.

I'd hoped by now, as this is my 3rd season at my home, that I'd have more done to the yard, but it seems so barren this year. Tiny things are coming up, but my daylillies haven't bloomed and everything else seems so stunted....
I know y'all can understand my frustration, but still........ I have enough plants, but maybe my soil is depleted and I should start over next year. I had one hardy rose die, and am a little disheartened about it.

-Susan-

Victoria Harbour, ON

Susan, big gardens aren't what they are cracked up to be...since late April I've been spending all my weekends and some evening working outside...I'm almost caught up in the back yard, still leaves a very long side area and front gardens...think of it this way, you can enjoy your gardens while we work and barely have time to smell the flowers....

Sorry about the rose...I'm terrible, I just dig my gardens and plant...if what I plant wants to live then wonderful if not, oh well and I move on to something else..lol..

Not the best way of gardening but is mine...

Hiya ...

Susan .. like Betty says .. more gardens, or BIG gardens = more maintenance and less time to enjoy the fruits of your labours ^_^
Right now my perennials are keeping me so happy .. the thought of planting oodles af annuals still has not flourished into the DEED LoL

Betty, it's Lorna's parents here visiting from King City, ON. Am delighted to have them, AND, to be enjoying such wonderful weather. Lorna has yet to plant her flowers at the cemetery .. but the property is ABLOOM with flowering crabs and perennials .. and she has such a knack for trimming !!!!! She power trims all the beds and wall ways .. you'd have to see it to believe it.

TBay was SO excited to get the contract to build the transit cars for Toronto .. a 3 billion dollar+ contract .. BUT (dontcha hate the BUTS) it seems Mayor Miller took a few wee shortcuts to obtain the money .. one being NOT notifying Dalton McGuinty that the province was DONATING a billion to the contract !!!! Tsk tsk .. so .. everything seems to be sort of 'in limbo' right now .. or .. as all Canadians are familiar with .. 'Political Posturing' .. sad really .. our forest industry is being decimated here in North Western Ontario .. at least 3 bustling towns are now becoming virtual 'Ghost Towns'.

Off to get ready for dinner out .. Steak tonight at a local Legion .. kinda UNFANCY .. but AWESOME food :-) AND .. I do NOT have to cook !!!

Enjoy

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty & Marilynne - if it were only that my garden is small, but I have a "collector" (DH) of "things" whether large tools or ladders, that take up available garden space, so I really have very little, and tiny, space to do any gardening! Although he HAS sold 4 ladders....

If nothing else, I'd like the room to put grass, or have a "secret garden" that I can do more than walk by LOL Maybe I should pull up my 2 of 2'x3' patches with hen & chicks and hostas/bleeding hearts, and put in a shady sitting area, cuz I don't have a green space I can sit in. 'Fraid I'm getting tired of sitting on a deck that's more wood than flowers (whine, whine, whine, eh?!?!)

s'funny - the more garden you have, the more you'd like to lessen the workload, and the less garden you have, the more you want to increase it LOL and if we have a large garden with a gardener, we want to do our own gardening LOL are we gardeners/humans EVER satisfied? LOL

-Susan-

Victoria Harbour, ON

Well I could post more photo's for you to sit and enjoy Susan while I work..lol

Wreigelia's are starting to bloom...I have them in all the gardens..from white,lt.pink,dk pink, maroon and red...add's color until the flowers arrive..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

Needing color, most of everything is green/green/green..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.