My Morning Glory Adventures continued..

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/991695/#new
feel free to post pics here of the morning glorys you have growing that is what I might be waiting on to bloom.. like this one..

Thumbnail by joeswife

I had so much fun watching the different seeds sprout this winter.. not having a clue to begin with there were so many kinds of this morning glory family.. boy did I have a ball, seeing what they looked like as they popped up thru the soil..that first heart shaped leaf to show capturing me from the start..
I. turbinata

Thumbnail by joeswife

fully expecting climbing twining vinig things, was shocked to see such different forms and features, and the non vining ones thru me for a loop..always questioning : is this really a morning glory?
I. albivenia april 1st 2009 inside

Thumbnail by joeswife

fuzzy little furbie looking seeds that turned into funny looking young plants..
I.Carnea ( Lazlo) s april 1st, inside 2009

Thumbnail by joeswife

beautiful marbled colours, quite different than what I was used to for sure..the hairs on these being so .. well.. there and all.

scarlett O Hara, inside march 6th 2009.

Thumbnail by joeswife

some from africa, some from austrailia some from timbuctoo..... all of them gave me a lot to do,
March 20th2009 I. Lindehimeri half of which I still can't spell let alone ppronounce..

Thumbnail by joeswife
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Debra - You've have great luck (or skill) getting so many to germinate! They look great!!! Are they all going outside into the ground or some staying in pots?

all are outside now except cameo elegance, she is hanging in the kitchen window with a bloom bud ready to open for me.. here is the pot of bluespiral, yours and josephs a few days ago, This am I sunk it into the ground and moved it closer to the fence.I also took the cosmos pink, and the varigated daturas out of that pot.. this picture was on the 1st of june.

Thumbnail by joeswife

here it is this afternoon th heat of the dy wilts them a touch, but the shade comes before they stress too much...

Thumbnail by joeswife

Even slightly wilted, they look great! What is the one on the far right in the pot?

green pot is plantesis.. I am waiting for a bloom, it has a huge caudex, it likes it spot there.. pot in middle holds these :
climbing green pole and sides of pot, Jami Lynn from Ronnie(luvsgarden) and to the fence and back side is shibouri Purple X Grey Lady, from Becky, and in there are also two cardinal climbers and two messina creepers I need to get out, and still two small Iochroma albas from seed, and one cross jmg from GordonHawk..

I.Plantesis

Thumbnail by joeswife

Rebecca 1... from Karen(blue spiral)

Thumbnail by joeswife

scarlett ohara from Joseph ( Gerris)

Thumbnail by joeswife

Rebecca from Emma

Thumbnail by joeswife

Lost the Tag on these two..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Flying saucers in the barrell on the south side, climbing a dried brug tree, which is regrowing new growth on the bottom of it..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Debra - OH Boy! Do they ever look healthy and happy! It will be very interesting to see the blooms on the two different Rebecca vines. I love those variegated leaves on the unknown vine. :-) I hope you get solid red blooms on SOH. Mine had a small white throat. If you get solid color, I hope you get seeds to trade! :-)

closeup of flying saucer twining... I keep training these mgs all of them, if I see them climbing a neighbor they get undwound and retrained..and sometimes pinched or tied..
I like using natural things for them to climbe when I can, I like the wild and natural look, jungle and exotic, prenniels and annuals, mixed in with the tropicals give me the satisfaction of seeing a bit of everything..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Becky I have yet to see a solid throated soh, but If I get any I wll definately share seeds with you, girlfirend.. here is rebecca trying to take over the varigated, but she is tied up now to her post..
you can see the tiney coleus and allysium and other seeds I planted in that pot.. are up as well..

Thumbnail by joeswife

still on the patio south end, is this pot, which is filled with basil, a four oclock and an mg, i.purpurea , one of mine, a big blue I hope..

Thumbnail by joeswife

here is another neighboring pot.. started from seed.. too bad I didn't mark it, but i am pretty sure it is in my journal.. I can't wait to see its' bloom..

This message was edited Jun 9, 2009 6:12 PM

Thumbnail by joeswife

and here is my red castor bean to give me shade this summer..

Thumbnail by joeswife

the soil in these pots has rice powder in it, remember I ordered the rice hulls and rice powder? ( back in winter) well it holds moisture well for pots, I just mix it up when making my soil mix, rice hulls, rice powder, vermiculite, perlite, and sand(fine) and low grade top soil.. one big tub, mix and add a gallon of dried used coffee grounds, thats my soil mix for pots..
thsi pot has a canna, a datura purple metel, a canary bird vine and a climbing hoya in it, all from seeds, and an old tuber from last year

oopsie.. here is the picture of the pot... I already took out two small castor bean plants that came up from seed, moved them, and next will be the datura to go into the ground elsewhere, leaving the hoya vine, canary vine and canna

Thumbnail by joeswife

Debra - All I can say ... Your soil/potting mix seems to be a really good one! I can't believe how incredibly green and healthy looking all of your starts are! I may have to try your potting mixture! You seem to be on to something ... :-)

next to the barrell is my tall stand with my cajun hibiscus's, and the tri stand with a brug, begonias, and other plants..this is the south west corner of my patio, looking northeast.

Thumbnail by joeswife

going on to the other side is alot of baskets and pots and tubs, small, ready to take to the market in july, got the baskets at a goodwill, filled with my mix, and threw in some seeds, and here we are.. this is on the north west corner..
both these barrells ahd the beautiful peruvian daffodils in bloom, and then my snap peas, which are almost done, been eating them all week, I pull those pea vines out and make room for the glorys and other tall things..

Thumbnail by joeswife

up by back door, is my big blue mg, and a messina creeper behind the soon to bloom asiaic stargazer lillys, already vining in their klittle water bottle planters with the bottoms cut out..you can see my two brugmansia seedlings one is a peanut X rubiline, and the other a b. arborea.. and also my dahlias came back up, they are in front there, and the tall four oclocks have replaced the dames rocket there.. and a petunia basket above it, and the hmmer feeders, and some seed pots I am growing for the sale all in this north corner of my back porch..

Thumbnail by joeswife

the south corner of the back porch also has four o'clocks, my favorite yellows so aromatic, and then the asiatic stargazers in front, a tomatoe inbetween, and some minibar spiniach vine and a few yellow mgs planted there..
my pot of coleus grown from seed there in the front, and the little impatiens and violets.. I love violets,, good ground cover to keep roots cool in the summer...I plant them around everything that wilts in the heat of the day, it seems to help..

Thumbnail by joeswife

I started that mimosa baby tree in that pot from seed as well, although I have a nice mimosa out front.. I wish I could move that faucet and hose hanger, it bugs the heck out of me and is an eyesore..but Joe says leave it alone, so
I do.. on to the fence again, we started west on the north side going east.. another jamie lynn there and some glads, sedums, blue eyed grass and gosh, some other stuff ,lol i am terrible..

Thumbnail by joeswife

moving on down the fence..this is supposed to be blue ensign convolovus we will see..

Thumbnail by joeswife

and then we come to my tomatoe plant bloody boy, and my big pink i.purpurea.. ( no name i guess)

Thumbnail by joeswife

now here is an intersting pole.. can't wait to see what these are since the neighbor dog ate the little tags there.. I know I have some glads there, but those mgs are looking like they may be specimens, and oh, that littl wilted looking thing is an I.carnea seedling I had to move..

sheese... forgot the picture.. tornado watch is out.. great... I have too much water here as it is..

Thumbnail by joeswife

golfball or larger size hail out west .. good thing I have pictures.. last time we got pummled, we lost everything, including the rood and the cars bleah.. lately tho, it has jumped over Derby, Kansas...here is another pole, albevinia and pes capre with glads, still in their planters I started them in, with the bottoms gone..

Thumbnail by joeswife

still going east o the north fence, we have my poor rose carcass being used as a climbing ground for the little pink palm leaf vine I started this winter, and next to it the gian setosa vines, still need to see how I am going to separate these, so put the rose stick up to climb away from the setosa, which will have the fence there to the right.. the plant to the right of those is a dark angel broder dahlia, and a small hlly hock from seed in front as well as some sage

brief tornado touch down out west by greensburg, long ways from us...

Thumbnail by joeswife

my dahlias, morning glorys, cone flowers and more

Thumbnail by joeswife

the old can barrell holds three tomatoe plants, and three lions tails, there is a hanging basket above it with seeds planted..to the left of that barrell is a pot of hibiscus from four years ago, and a pot of daturas in front of it, to the right of the can is my apricot nector roe, getting ready to bloom again, some gladiolas behind it, and some more mgs that I have to pull.. *sigh*and there is a white planter with a guava tree, and two cestrums that have already bloomed and now regrowing more growth..

Thumbnail by joeswife

oh.. there are some mexican hats in that area as well..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.