Communities > Forums

Image Copyright BionicDan

Subject: Spider Advice anyone?

Forum: Site Help

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Spider Advice anyone?
BionicDan wrote:
Can anyone please advise me?

I am currently insulating my garden shed (I live in Edinburgh, Scotland UK, by the way) and I have some recesses in to which I'd like to pump some expanding foam filler to seal off draughts etc.

Now, I don't want to seriously disturb my shed's spiders (I notice I have some real beauts!) and so I'm hoping someone can advise me on the following queries:

i. I am aware of a couple of large spiders (I'm pretty sure the inhabitants of my shed are "Tegenaria gigantea" - although I'm no expert) living in at least one of the recesses in question. How do I check to make sure, and also how do I 'encourage' them to move elsewhere without harming them?

ii. I notice quite a few 'nests' (little white bundles) in corners etc. Is it safe enough for me to move them to a safer location? If so, how do I do this without harming/destroying the nests? Also, to where should I move them? What's the best type of place?

iii. I have not covered over all the spaces where I know spiders like to lurk... and I don't intend to. However, if I seal up most of the shed's draughts (insulation-wise) and keep all of the existing nests inside the shed, won't I then be overrun with spiders that don't know where to go once they hatch?

iv. If I move the nests, will this disorientate or stress the 'mother' spider in no longer being able to find the nest?

I realise that some of my queries may sound - to all you experts - a bit naive perhaps but I seriously don't want to harm the spiders or the nests in any way.

Appreciating any help.

Best regards

D