"Cool Farmer"

Sandyville, WV(Zone 6b)

Does anybody have a photo/description for this cultivar?

Concord, NC

Hi Landreyev,

Do You Mean 'CITY FARMER' 1978 ( Laurie x Elegant Farmer) by Larry Gaulter of California ? http://wiki.irises.org/bin/view/TbAthruE/TbCityFarmer .That is the only 'Farmer' named Tall Bearded Iris I personally am aware of besides 'Elegant farmer', another Gaulter Introduction used in it's creation thought to no longer be in existence. If You are looking for City Farmer, BluebirdHaven has it Available in their Catalog. I too would like to get this one as I love the Older Gaulter Pinks. Maybe it is an Unregistered one? if it is a Registered one wiki.irises.org would be the best place to search as they have every registered Iris known up to 2014, not just TBs, now in their database. Im thinking it is not a TB as I searched the TB's for You Briefly and didnt see it. If You have the Hybridizer and Date or atleast the Hybridizer and/or where you saw this one growing or heard of it ,I can try to assist You in finding someone who can get You a Picture of it. Respectfully. Themikesmom

Sandyville, WV(Zone 6b)

Thanks so much for your reply! Perhaps I misremembered the name and am in fact thinking of the ones you've referenced above. I will be adding it to my purchase for next year!

Concord, NC

Awesome.:-) .I see You Buy alot of Iris from Jim at Exline Iris..He is a really Nice Person! my son and I have recieved alot of Really rare Iris from Jim over the last few years. You dont happen to have 'Briar Rose' by Hall 1954 do You? Thats one we had wanted to get From Jim, but His perished in 2011 and Voss Iris in MO and Brighton Park in Chicago were the only people Jim remembers selling to and theirs have since perished as well as I understand its not a very hardy variety. If You were one of the people who bought it from Jim and still have it.. I would love to trade with You..Just click on my Garden Journal on my page and see what You would want in trade. Respectfully, Themikesmom. :

Sandyville, WV(Zone 6b)

I'm sorry to say I do not have the one you're looking for, if I did I would be more than willing to share! I have not met Mr. Exline but hope to visit there this spring if possible. I figured I would buy from him in hopes that they would do well due to similar climate, and of course he came highly recommended on this site. I am actually fairly new to iris and "caught the bug" just recently. I have learned a lot from your posts...glad you're here to share your knowledge! :)

Concord, NC

:-) I have not Met Jim Either, but he is always very knowledgeable and nice to talk to. Thank-You for Your kind comments..I am also willing to share. let me know this Spring if their is something in my Journal You just have to have and I probably have extra fans of it and will be more than happy to send it for postage if you dont have ones yet you want to trade for it. We started out just like anyone else new to Iris around 2006 when we moved into a little house with some old historics coming up the driveway that sparked our interest, my mom used to grow some lavender pallida iris in the sixties but i never paid to much attention. we still prefer the older ones to the modern ones. one of the mistakes we made when starting out was dont get more than 3 or 4 of any cultivar, as they will multiply and you may decide in a few years after you see them bloom that you like another type of Iris better and then you will have used up space for your eventual passion with ones your no longer fond of, also if your getting Iris from all over the country when you get them your gonna want to soak them in one part bleach for 10 parts water for 15 minutes and then rinse with water and then plant, it helps stave off diseases entering your garden that you cant always see on the Iris when you get them :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.