Photo by Melody

Coneflowers: ALL "WHITES" TODAY FROM GARDEN ONE....., 2 by momlady

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright momlady

In reply to: ALL "WHITES" TODAY FROM GARDEN ONE.....

Forum: Coneflowers

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of ALL "WHITES" TODAY FROM GARDEN ONE.....
momlady wrote:
Thanks for the info, kcf! I will use your information and then I will hope that mine do well this year! And, I will go out and tell them to stop whining and get going!! Actually, they might be doing ok. I do seem to have more buds this year than before, but it's too early to tell. Maybe they just needed a few years to settle in. I think, also, that I bought some wimpy varieties. I do think there's a big difference in vigor between the varieties. I was trying to find orange and got some that didn't get very orange - they start orangish but then revert to pink later in the season. Maybe you know a reliably very orange and very vigorous variety??
My climate is very odd here. It is supposedly a zone 7a, but what we have is very wet winters, with drizzle and rain for weeks at a time, and then 3 months of drought every summer. It doesn't get all that hot. It's rare to get above 85, even in August. I call it zone 6a because zone 7 stuff that should make just doesn't. I can't even grow a wisteria!! We get a midwinter thaw that gets a lot of plants to break dormancy, then it goes back to cold weather and freezes all the leaf bugs off. Diabolical. Anyway, we are still in our rainy season - it was a high of 55 degrees today - but will soon flip to the drought, just around July 4.
I love your bromeliads. I have just one (first pic, front row, on the right) which has never bloomed...but have other indoor obsessions...