ALL "WHITES" TODAY FROM GARDEN ONE.....

East Uniontown, PA

Coconut Lime....Secret Pride....Milkshake....Pow Wow White....Primadonna....Even caught a "bee" on Secret Pride....Luck!!....Lol....That's 9 so far.....Will get you all 30 as promised!....Happy Gardening!

Thumbnail by kingconeflower
East Uniontown, PA

Here we go again.....Gotta repost the other 4, or I'll try the five again....

Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower
East Uniontown, PA

Remember fellow cone lovers.....And another guess for this beauty????.....Peace to all!!!

Thumbnail by kingconeflower Thumbnail by kingconeflower
Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

I wish I knew, but alas, I am in ignorance. I love the variety you have. I absolutely adore coneflowers but they don't particularly like the climate here. I think they want a little more heat. Or maybe I just don't water enough.
Anyway, I am truly enjoying the show!!

East Uniontown, PA

Thank you momlady....You are in zone 6a.....Coneflowers should do well there....They can even tolerate in cooler conditons.....After established, can withstand drought....Don't like real wet, soggy soil, but rather drained soil with plenty of organic matter....They do tolerate some shade, as mine get 6-8 hours a day of shade....Garden one of mine is almost in full bloom. but garden two, that receives a few less hours of sun is doing fine, but behind the first....Only water for 2 or so weeks after planting, transplanting....During the "first year," only water during extended dry spells....The plants will let you know by just looking at them....You have to learn to let them "stand on their own!"....Out of my over 30 varieties, I have only watered 3 of them this year, and they are transplants....And I'm done watering them.....Too much watering on coneflowers, plus humidity and over fertilizing can lead to big problems, like "powdery mildew!"....If you are using the right type of soil, and getting sun, I don't see how you can't grow them....Good luck and give it a try!!!!.....Here's my indoor kitchen counter....lol....Bromelaids!!

Thumbnail by kingconeflower
Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the info, kcf! I will use your information and then I will hope that mine do well this year! And, I will go out and tell them to stop whining and get going!! Actually, they might be doing ok. I do seem to have more buds this year than before, but it's too early to tell. Maybe they just needed a few years to settle in. I think, also, that I bought some wimpy varieties. I do think there's a big difference in vigor between the varieties. I was trying to find orange and got some that didn't get very orange - they start orangish but then revert to pink later in the season. Maybe you know a reliably very orange and very vigorous variety??
My climate is very odd here. It is supposedly a zone 7a, but what we have is very wet winters, with drizzle and rain for weeks at a time, and then 3 months of drought every summer. It doesn't get all that hot. It's rare to get above 85, even in August. I call it zone 6a because zone 7 stuff that should make just doesn't. I can't even grow a wisteria!! We get a midwinter thaw that gets a lot of plants to break dormancy, then it goes back to cold weather and freezes all the leaf bugs off. Diabolical. Anyway, we are still in our rainy season - it was a high of 55 degrees today - but will soon flip to the drought, just around July 4.
I love your bromeliads. I have just one (first pic, front row, on the right) which has never bloomed...but have other indoor obsessions...

Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady Thumbnail by momlady

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.