Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #17, 2 by Amargia

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Amargia

In reply to: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #17

Forum: Accessible Gardening

Back to postNext photo >>>
Photo of Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #17
Amargia wrote:
If Nadi's little pollywog pals don't start "singing" until they are mature, there is no reason they can't stay inside until March. If she is wrong and they call for reasons other than attracting mates....well....imagine sharing your home with a brace of long-winded ducks. That's about what 5 vocalizing eastern narrow-mouth pseudo-toads would sound like. (My guess is Nadi still wouldn't evict them. She would take their terrariums to her own micro-house....and sleep in the main building. lol.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YycGwHJTx5E
They could survive outside. I have no doubt. They burrow in all seasons. The smooth skin that keeps them from being classified as toads is super tough and mildly toxic. A predator would have to be incredibly hungry for NM toads to be on the menu.
The light dependent types here want to paint the main building and baby barn. I'm the only one who really likes warm, soft earth tones and my ability to discriminate between colors is down to almost nil. The others want a cooler, more neutral palette. Something that won't clash with any bloom or foliage color, but not white, gray or brown. Sage green and blue-green are at the top of the list. I have a problem visualizing the latter.
Nadi corrected me when I wrote "flock of ducks” above. That's the second time she has set me straight lately as to what a group of animals is properly called. I’d only heard "brace of ducks" used in medieval fantasy tales to describe what a hunter came back to the camp with for dinner. Never in reference to live ducks. Check this out. Would you honestly be willing to use some of these "proper" terms in your everyday speech? :-)
http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/about/faqs/animals/names.htm
Photos: Brugs still blooming happily despite the cold nights and something I don't remember planting. Smells like a mum. lol. We REALLY must get better about labeling and keeping records.