Photo by Melody

Weather: October Weather - Fall colors, harvest. Tell us., 4 by

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright

In reply to: October Weather - Fall colors, harvest. Tell us.

Forum: Weather

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of October Weather - Fall colors, harvest. Tell us.
wrote:
Early_Bloomer,
Love those homegrown apples. When I was a kid, I loved to eat apples while green. My parents told me I will get a belly ache, but I never did.

It all started on Sept. 3, 2013 with all day rain that turned to snow over night. It snowed all day with accumulation of 18" of wet and heavy snow. Never in all my years, have I witness anything so spectacular and scary. I thank God that I had my diseased hybrid elm removed years ago or I would have lost my garage. I did lose my 6-year-old smoke tree. No other trees on my property.

All around, large limbs were heading towards the ground. I can hear ripping noise of the limbs as they tore loose from their mooring. The electricity flickered off then on. Finally it went off around 8 and stayed off. I was prepared with a kerosene lantern. My computer was off. So decided to go to bed.

It was spectacular from a photographers point of view. I was able to get some good photos from my front and, and back door of neighboring trees. Luckily when I parked before the storm, my car was out of reach of neighbor's tree limbs.

All was due to the amount of snow, and the heaviness of it---perfect for making a snowman. Most of the trees are huge hybrid elm.

Today it is sunny and 42 degrees. Snow is melting.

Photos taken during the storm