Photo by Melody

Peonies: What peonies have you ordered for planting this fall?, 1 by DonnaMack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright DonnaMack

In reply to: What peonies have you ordered for planting this fall?

Forum: Peonies

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of What peonies have you ordered for planting this fall?
DonnaMack wrote:
Cornelia used to be available at A&D. I actually got mine from a company in Canada. The father, who was a terrific correspondent, passed away a couple of years ago. The company had bad reviews but they also could get ANYTHING, because they were a consolidator. But my Mrs. FDR and Cornelia Shaylor came from him, and I have never had better peonies. Steve Fort Worth/Indianapolis said I had he highest bud counts on those peonies he had ever seen.

It's hilarious. If you Google certain plants, my images appear. They tend to be hard to find or out of commerce. If I Google Cornellnia Shaylor, images 1, 2, 10 and 13 are mine.And they repeat down the page. I also went on Help Me Find and posted them. I think that if you do it enough the things you love will come back into commerce.

Pam, because of the width of mine, I went with 20 inch rings. That is what you are seeing in the picture below. As you can see, they just barely contained these beauties, but they did the job. I only needed them for Ann Cousins, Cornelia Shaylor and Mrs. FDR. Ann Cousins is on the right in the picture, and it was mature - just barely contained in 2011!

I also used them for Festiva Maxima, but I didn't really need to. I bought these rings (they were my third set) because no store bought ring did the job. Since they are fairly expensive, I just bought what I needed, which I believe was four sets. I will surely need one for Tourangelle in the future.

I'm not 100% sure how long the legs are that I bought. It's dark here, but in the morning I will go into the garage and measure them and let you know.

Edited to remove numerous typos! Mustn't get so excited when I talk peony!

This message was edited Mar 27, 2014 5:13 PM