Photo by Melody

Bulbs: Bulbs didn't come up at all this Spring!, 3 by cathy166

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright cathy166

In reply to: Bulbs didn't come up at all this Spring!

Forum: Bulbs

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bulbs didn't come up at all this Spring!
cathy166 wrote:
Unless it was really, really cold and they came up and were hit with the famous ice/sleet storm, they may be gone. If they were affected by the storm and died after sprouting, they will come up again next spring.

I had six orienpets for the last four years. This year only one came up, and I have to believe that they were eaten. They were the only bulbs in that garden, and we have been plagued with chipmunks. The remaining lily is having its bags packed as soon as the bloom is gone.

Most of our lily bulbs are in containers as you can see. In the past we lost lily blooms due to beetle damage, but they never affected the bulbs. Containers don't guarantee the bulbs won't be eaten, but they certainly improve the chances. When plants stop blooming, I switch containers so that the most visible are the most attractive. In containers there are lilies, calla lilies, caladiums, begonias, coleus and even some tomatoes and cucumbers. Inground plants are alliums, roses, peonies, different kinds of irises, clematis, centaurea, echinacea, platycodon, sedum, tomatoes, heuchera, brunnera and a few dwindling lilies and tulips. Alliums are the only bulbs that don't get attacked.